Stop recommending gear you've never heard: rant warning
Nov 30, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #46 of 316
I've heard the HP-2 has a nice sound.
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #48 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's not cool to recommend gear you haven't heard then I think this should be expanded into not trashing gear you haven't heard as well.

Come on, that's like suggesting that you shouldn't recommend grados indescriminately regadless of whether the question was about closed headphones or IEMs.

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #50 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What the OP has raised is an aspect of life in general. Have you ever heard witnesses in court ? People are like sheep - many can only follow the rest of the herd.

Yeah perception and memory are so easily fooled.

There was a bit in the news yesterday about a study that found that you can alter a person's memory by photoshopping pictures of past events.

Basically they photoshopped pictures of recent history (tinanmen square, and another big event somewhere else that i don't recall) to make them appear more or less violent than they really were, showed them to people, and then asked them what they personally recall about those events.

Basically people 'remembered' with full confidence whatever had just been suggested by the images placed in front of them.

Nov 30, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #51 of 316
Indeed.

Nothing wrong with pointing out the existence of all the possibilities (or alternatives as the case might be), but recommendations per se should be clearly indicated because it can be easy to get the wrong idea from well-intentioned (and sadly un-informed) posts. Some may think they're helping out but all they're really doing is adding to the noise and bad advice, which sad to say has been on an increasing trend lately.

Nov 30, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #52 of 316
Great post, and I am with you!

Shame on me.
Cause I have recommended the SR-007mk2, even if I have never heard it. Bad boy!
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #53 of 316
While it is bad to post good things about a product w/o having listened to it it is much worse to criticize a product. Lately some users have taken positions criticizing a product based solely on the specs.

Even the best components can be made to sound poorly if the designer/builder does a poor job. On the other hand a group of less expensive components which is well designed and well put together can sound fantastic. So I do have an issue w/ negative comments when the poster has not listened to a given piece of gear. Just my $0.02

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #54 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While it is bad to post good things about a product w/o having listened to it it is much worse to criticize a product. Lately some users have taken positions criticizing a product based on the specs.

You're going to have to explain to me the problem in presenting an evaluation based on product specifications. That'd be like saying that you can't judge how fast a car is based on reported 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. While I agree that the components in the circuit don't tell the whole story they certainly tell part of it. It is certainly a little different between amps and headphones in this regard, some measure of how an amp will sound can be gathered from it's circuit and components. It's impossible to judge a headphone this way.

Example: a Cmoy-type circuit, regardless of how well implemented is always going to have sonic limitations based on it's current delivery and voltage swing ability. There's no way around that.

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #55 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While it is bad to post good things about a product w/o having listened to it it is much worse to criticize a product. Lately some users have taken positions criticizing a product based on the specs.

I think some specs may be quite informative. I would hesitate to try an amp that had 10% distortion when other amps of the same output have 0.01% and would not touch a CD player that had a 3DB roll off at 20K regardless of how much it cost. Maybe specs dont always help too much, the specs for CD players are so good that maybe a SNR of 96db isnt really noticeably worse than a SNR of 102db (technically twice as good) . Dont even get me started on jitter measurements
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #56 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're going to have to explain to me the problem in presenting an evaluation based on product specifications.

\

i don't have a problem with this. and i welcome any technical feedback on a product, esp. since i and a lot of members have limited understanding and knowledge of such things. having said that though, i still feel that the best judge of any product is how it sounds in real life and not how it allegedly should sound based on how one person interprets a piece of paper. and i esp. disagree and take issue with those who say that a certain product cannot sound good based on specs alone. that is a very narrow way of thinking.

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #57 of 316
Vicki knows that ol' Uncle Chris is only a few minutes away. Mayhem shortly follows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think there is anyone who doesn't believe you mean it.
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #58 of 316
How about you stop making bandwidth sucking rant posts/threads, lol.

I'll just cut/paste what I put in another thread

Quote:

Aren't Graham Slee's amps reference amps for Sennheiser or something rediculous like that? Can't imagine amps that are garbage being used as such.

The amount of fecetious posts lately is amazing me. Me saying his amps are amongst the bests are like me saying MV Agusta Motorcycles are amongst the best. I haven't ridden every MV Agusta out there, but I can tell you based off what I've experianced from one product, if all the products in that line exude the same quality, it's safe to say they're amongst the best out there. And generally speaking, it's the truth.

And for you cantakerous bastards, I said 'AMONGST' not 'THE', meaning it's up there with the top, not necessarily THE top.

The amount of fecetious-ness spouting up recently is disgusting. People are taking things either out of context or take it so literal, EVEN WHEN knowing the point that was trying to get conveyed from the start. The fact that everything has to be clarified in exponential fashion means one of two things. Either the person is in fact a retard, or is being fecetious, I'll let that person decide which they are.

I think it was pretty clear what the point was, and the BS should stop.

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #59 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about you stop making bandwidth sucking rant posts/threads, lol.

Nice... Thank you for that mature contribution to the discussion.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #60 of 316
I guess the 'lol' at the end wasn't any indicator to sarcasm or in this case, fecetious-ness.

Christ help us...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back