Step above mid fi
Feb 21, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #121 of 126
Quote:
Its not split. RustA is presenting a terrible argument and has no clue what he's talking about. 

Sigh... it's threads like these that make it a real turn off to express opinions around here...

Quote:
I just learned that Burson cam out with a cheaper smaller version of he soloist called the soloist SL. Would that be a good amp for my audeze?

I just demoed a Burson Conductor and Soloist the other day, and they sounded very good (nicer than the 160 series bursons I think), so I'd say it's a safe bet. I'm not gonna bring up how it measures against 'that other amp', because it doesn't seem like neutrality is a total concern for you, but I will say that it sounds roughly similar, and more importantly -- different from the Lyr. If you really liked the warm sound of the Lyr while you tried it, then maybe another option would be more suitable, but otherwise any of the other ones mentioned here are solid choices.

EDIT: I just saw these other recent comparisons with the Burson that might be useful: http://www.head-fi.org/t/651714/2013-sf-bay-area-changfest-meet-impressions-thread/150#post_9186169

I'll just go ahead and say I agree with it, cause I didn't exactly get a chance to A/B the burson using the same source/tracks, so I was extrapolating when I suggested that it sounded 'roughly similar', and it appears that may in fact sound a lot closer than that. Hope that helps.

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #122 of 126
have you checked on innerfidelity ? there are reviews of the soloist and lake people g109 that may be of interest.
they also have some measurements of the hd160 here : http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/121105_blog_update_FirstAmpTests.pdf

also during my search for a SS amp, I've read some things about the Goldpoint Headphone Pro. Never heard it or even seen it in person though, but it might be worth investigating.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #123 of 126
Feb 21, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #124 of 126
Quote:
Did you look at what he was saying?

Yes, I did read the thread after all. It's more about the general sentiment. For things where it's all about personal preference and what sounds 'better', it strikes me as odd that people would even quibble about such minor product decisions, since most people don't normally get the chance to see the isolated effects of these decisions themselves -- which judging from the level of debate they provoke, I figure it should be an equally big deal that manufacturers most likely don't share your exact same tastes to begin with when designing a product. So given that those choices are out of your hands, the only other things that could really be considered/discussed to any useful degree, would be points like RustA was bringing up, but instead they were just shut down because "that's not the way things work". Personally, I don't really care much about the status quo or what's the norm for the industry... if I don't like something I just don't buy it and leave it at that. I do have my own set of opinions, but I try to remain as moderate and unbiased as possible when expressing myself, and make an effort to understand and acknowledge opposing viewpoints instead of just shutting them out, because I believe that's what will be the most useful for the most people.

I don't intend on discussing this any further, as I think it's unproductive and quite frankly, rude to the OP for what he seems to want to get out of this thread; so back on topic! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #125 of 126
Quote:
Quote:
Did you look at what he was saying?

Yes, I did read the thread after all. It's more about the general sentiment. For things where it's all about personal preference and what sounds 'better', it strikes me as odd that people would even quibble about such minor product decisions, since most people don't normally get the chance to see the isolated effects of these decisions themselves -- which judging from the level of debate they provoke, I figure it should be an equally big deal that manufacturers most likely don't share your exact same tastes to begin with when designing a product. So given that those choices are out of your hands, the only other things that could really be considered/discussed to any useful degree, would be points like RustA was bringing up, but instead they were just shut down because "that's not the way things work". Personally, I don't really care much about the status quo or what's the norm for the industry... if I don't like something I just don't buy it and leave it at that. I do have my own set of opinions, but I try to remain as moderate and unbiased as possible when expressing myself, and make an effort to understand and acknowledge opposing viewpoints instead of just shutting them out, because I believe that's what will be the most useful for the most people.

I don't intend on discussing this any further, as I think it's unproductive and quite frankly, rude to the OP for what he seems to want to get out of this thread; so back on topic! 
smily_headphones1.gif

But he called all high-end amps bad, that they shouldn't be like that.

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #126 of 126
Quote:
But he called all high-end amps bad, that they shouldn't be like that.

lol, he never referred to all high-end amps, and he certainly did not call them bad. It's easy to get carried away in the moment and make interpretations like that due to a general negative tone from a post, but when you go back and read things when you've had time to get away from it, all those hidden assumptions you might have attached to it seem to go away, and it's easier to take it for what it is. In this case, they only thing he said was bad was that particular design choice that amp manufacturers implement, and that he didn't like how most of the popular manufacturers did that. He actually gave examples of high-end amps that he thought were good, but it's easy to overlook when we've made up our minds about another person's perspective (we all do this).

And at the end of the day, it still doesn't matter, cause it's just another perfectly valid opinion; it's just hard for most of us to say how such a design decision would affect the sound without actually isolating that variable and testing it out ourselves, so it leaves us with the feeling of not having enough of a counter-argument. But guess what? That's OK. They're just opinions, and you don't have to put down others' opinions to justify your own. His opinions happened to lie on the precautionary/safety side of things, while others say it's not a big deal because it improves the sound (an argument again, that I think should be looked at a bit closer if one hasn't verified it him/her-self). But it's basically like left-wing/right-wing politics: most of the time, debates across party lines are just gonna produce a bunch of the same rehashed noise from both sides, lol.

It seems the OP already made up his mind about where he stands on that issue anyway, so there's really no point for anybody to continue debating in circles here. As you can see though, the fact that I was even prompted to write all these things out is a large part of the turn off when contributing here; and it's not directed at you, or anyone in particular, I just felt it needed to be out there because I think we could all try a bit harder to understand each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back