Step above mid fi
Feb 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #107 of 126
Quote:
The current argument seems to be split, and I am going the safe side and returning it.

Its not split. RustA is presenting a terrible argument and has no clue what he's talking about. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #108 of 126
I still think that a product that is worth nearly half a grand should not have any issues or controversy about damaging headphones surrounding it. Heck, Even my fiio does not danger or alter the shape of my AKG k702s driver.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #109 of 126
Quote:
I still think that a product that is worth nearly half a grand should not have any issues or controversy about damaging headphones surrounding it. Heck, Even my fiio does not danger or alter the shape of my AKG k702s driver.

This is the last thing I'm going to say one this thread, contact me on PM if you want, but this is getting ridiculous. Of course your FiiO doesn't do that, its a cheap amp. The Lyr will do this, its a great amp, for a reasonable price. Without the relay, it sounds better. I guess you won't be buying any high-end amp any time soon. It will have the same "problem" your talking about.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #110 of 126
My friends Burson Ha 160 did not have the problem and that is a higher end product than the lyr, also I don't see how every "high end" product will make a driver deform. The lyr and asgard also has a proven background of damaging headphones which is what made my decision to return it final.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #111 of 126
Quote:
Wow, didn't expect so many answer and controversy lol. I think that I will be heading down solid state territory because the relay is a bit discerning to me. Would spending extra 2 hundred for the Burson ha 160 be worth it? Or what else under 600 should I get?

Has nothing to do with SS v Tube.
Quote:
My friends Burson Ha 160 did not have the problem and that is a higher end product than the lyr, also I don't see how every "high end" product will make a driver deform. The lyr and asgard also has a proven background of damaging headphones which is what made my decision to return it final.

The old Asgard issue is just that old. And fixed with the relays. Turn-off transient is normal,
which seems to continually be glossed over.

Secondly, there have been some high efficiency cans mangled by Lyr in the past,
in which, the Lyr was made for inefficient ortho's. So what's the point really.

That's pretty much like me bitching about how I "blew up" my Grados using them on a vintage receiver.

The Lyr or Crack would be your best bets with your limited budget for tubes.
Furthermore, the 160 would be a waste of money, IMO.

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #112 of 126
101 question regarding the transients (in general), hopefully not too off topic.

I understand that capacitance and inductance in a circuit will create non-quiescent states on power on/off. It makes sense that the headphones are not connected during these periods, so are inserted/removed with the volume set to min. while there is no signal. However, necessarily, the L-R-Gnd contacts must be cross-connected during (dis)connection. I take it that the argument is that, while not ideal, this is not far from ideal and much better than the alternative; there should be no DC on the terminals and the AC (R-Gnd, L-Gnd) will be close to zero given there is no signal.

Is that about right?

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #113 of 126
Dgiant > I think you've made a wise decision by returning the Lyr...

Now if you want a SS amp, I'd recommend a Violectric V100 or V200 over the Burson ha160.

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #115 of 126
I've never heard a V90 so I can't comment on this model.
you can probably expect the same build and finish as the v100/v200 : german quality, very solid, no moving parts, very nice finish (not like luxury/shiny stuff though, more like professional grade. Imo, the finish and overall build quality is better than Meier and X-Can amps I've previously own, and from what I remember, it's better than the Burson).
the v200 is slightly warm, very musical. it delivers lots of juice and is TOTALLY silent (no hiss/hum when operating, black background when headphones on). The noiseless operation is a big win for me.

Just to make it clear, I've never owned the Burson HA160, I've only auditioned it for approx. 5h before I commited to the v200 (I prefered the sound of the Violectric over the burson right from the start so I didn't make any extensive comparison/test/blind test.) . So it's not like I've been making a very technical recommandation. I've listened to both amps during the same period (with d5000 and senns hd600), and I ended up with the Violectic because of my personal tastes, yours may differ greatly.

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #117 of 126
Quote:
I think your taste is on point With mine, however since my budget is far less I think I will go with the V90. Where can I purchase te amp in the u.s?

http://www.violectric.de/Pages/en/shop/noneu.php

You can also order via email by contacting them at info@lake-people.de. Payment is done through PayPal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back