Step above mid fi
Feb 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #76 of 126
No. It will not do either really. Even the Mjolnir which has very good detail retrieval, swing, dynamics and an aggressive tonality doesn't undark the Audez'es.

Tube sound is really coloration per distortion. And generally yes, lusher, warmer, etc.

The problem with the O2 and its faithful is the failure to see that because something measures well doesn't mean it sounds good.

Here's a quote from a pioneer of amp designs, and someone I put a hell of a lot more faith into than voldermort.

"It is nevetheless possible to have a product that measures well but doesn't sound so good. It is still a mystery as to how this could
be, but there it is'

-Nelson Pass

But to those masses those unbeatably perfect measurements, automatically equate to superior SQ.
It's just simply a large assumption, and one that is strongly doubted by Mr.Pass and the alike....

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #78 of 126
I just got my LYR, howeverafter I was done listening to it I turned it off with my audeze plugged in and it suddenly made a cracking sound. I tested it out after and it sounded the same but I am wondering if I damaged them?

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #81 of 126
Did you purchase your Lyr new? I guess not... It seems you have an amp without any overload protection (older Lyr did not have it) and therefore I must say - be extremely careful since you can easily damage your headphones.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #84 of 126
Just try them with a different amp, or directly from your computer/ipod/whatever... You will see.

No, most probably they aren't. However, I would definitely contact Schiit and tell them about this... It's not alright at all.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #86 of 126
Quote:
I just did, they sound the same as before. I guess I was lucky!

Well, I am not sure how much Lyr is suitable for K702... I guess these K70xs are not very friendly to very high loads. But still, this is not acceptable from my point of view and you should definitely want explanation from Schiit.

And don't worry for now - if your headphones sound the same as before, they are just alright... No need to be afraid of some hidden defects or anything like that.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #87 of 126
Don't turn on or turn off your amps with your headphones plugged in.(This usually only applies to more expensive amps $250 and up, I'd say.)

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #88 of 126
Quote:
Don't turn on or turn off your amps with your headphones plugged in.(This usually only applies to more expensive amps $250 and up, I'd say.)

This should not happen with any amplifier... Quality professional amplifiers, or reasonable headphone amplifiers, do not cause any sort of trouble because they do not output ridiculously overkilled loads (like 6W with Lyr). You are only getting distortion with higher loads than ideal + the risk of damaging headphones is also significantly increased.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #89 of 126
I have decided to return the schiit lyr and purchase a diffrent amp. I do not want anything that can damage my cans. Are there any other good alternatives under the 500 amp category

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #90 of 126
Quote:
Quote:

This should not happen with any amplifier... Quality professional amplifiers, or reasonable headphone amplifiers, do not cause any sort of trouble because they do not output ridiculously overkilled loads (like 6W with Lyr). You are only getting distortion with higher loads than ideal + the risk of damaging headphones is also significantly increased.

Yes it should.. It happens on a lot of QUALITY amps. Don't return the Lyr.. A lot of Woo Audio products do this. Are they crap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back