Stax
Dec 24, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #32 of 173
I've recently compared the sound signature of the 404 to 2 pairs of older Lambda Sigs, and they are all very close, the 404's seem to go a touch lower but are indeed brighter. On a good analogue source, the difference is less noticeable, but I still prefer the Lambda and find them less fatiguing. That said, the 404's and a pair of Gamma Pros are still with me and I may not sell them despite me now owning 4 pairs of Stax.

The most annoying feature of the 404's is their construction and the plastic that moans and rattles like dash of an '84 Chevy. It's actually the plastic from the forks holding the drivers that makes the noise ...on the Lambda they are metal.

I bought a 2nd set (SRM-T1 + Lambda Sig) on eBay for $760 because to me, they simply represent the best value in hi-fi, even if they are 20 years old. If you hate buying used, the 404/006 combo is darn close and the cost is about 1/4 of the Omega and 007 or custom amp that you need to drive them.

Build quality on all Stax is impressive. Replace the pads when they wear and they play like new. These guys have been perfecting their craft for 50+ years and it shows.

Dec 24, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #33 of 173
These guys are speaking the truth however, not everyone gels with the stax sound sometimes they would rather have bass extension over all else. I started with a set of electrets and an energizer just to see if i would like the sound - they were just so much more detailed than my dynamic phones. I lucked out with some sr lambdas (normal bias) and have also bought a set of lambda pro's that spritzer rebuilt. The normal bias lambdas are always my first choice, i dont like the pros very much after the new toy phase wore off. The signature is supposed do all the good things that both the sr lambda and the pro do.

Get an old lambda and an energizer if you have a decent amp in the house and save for the big boys toys.

As for amps etc i actually prefer the sound of my energizers and amp of that of the srm1 dedicated amplifier but i might be weird
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #34 of 173
@ TDL-speakers

You may find the review linked in my signature useful. About what others have said:
1. My 303's don't make any mechanical noises at the fork joints, but I've read about that problem before. I think it's rather rare, though.
2. Buying a used, older models system and saving some money for the source might be a good idea. In my experience, the Stax (the 3030 combo at least) are very very system sensitive and require not necessarily some very good, but some very carefully matched source and interconnects. I know many would find this odd, but overall I prefer my current cheap Cambridge D300 player, with my cheap diy interconnects and a fast blow fuse of 3.15 A on the electric outlet (which I had installed as a naive power surge protection but I discovered later to alter the sound signature of the player in a way I prefer for the Stax system) to both the Apogee MiniDac (which I have owned for more than a year) and the Lavry Black (which I have tried at home for a couple of hours). With the Lavry in particular the sound was bright and sterile.

Dec 24, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #36 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These guys are speaking the truth however, not everyone gels with the stax sound sometimes they would rather have bass extension over all else. I started with a set of electrets and an energizer just to see if i would like the sound - they were just so much more detailed than my dynamic phones. I lucked out with some sr lambdas (normal bias) and have also bought a set of lambda pro's that spritzer rebuilt. The normal bias lambdas are always my first choice, i dont like the pros very much after the new toy phase wore off. The signature is supposed do all the good things that both the sr lambda and the pro do.

Get an old lambda and an energizer if you have a decent amp in the house and save for the big boys toys.

As for amps etc i actually prefer the sound of my energizers and amp of that of the srm1 dedicated amplifier but i might be weird
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh Dear
confused_face(1).gif

In my mind there is a debate going, weather if I should go for a nice early 90's Lambda system or the new Stax SRS 4040 Signature II system??

lol!!

I will have to make my mind up sometime. And I must try and find a dealer to listen to a pair of stac headphones.

Dec 24, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #37 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Quichotte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ TDL-speakers

You may find the review linked in my signature useful. About what others have said:
1. My 303's don't make any mechanical noises at the fork joints, but I've read about that problem before. I think it's rather rare, though.
2. Buying a used, older models system and saving some money for the source might be a good idea. In my experience, the Stax (the 3030 combo at least) are very very system sensitive and require not necessarily some very good, but some very carefully matched source and interconnects. I know many would find this odd, but overall I prefer my current cheap Cambridge D300 player, with my cheap diy interconnects and a fast blow fuse of 3.15 A on the electric outlet (which I had installed as a naive power surge protection but I discovered later to alter the sound signature of the player in a way I prefer for the Stax system) to both the Apogee MiniDac (which I have owned for more than a year) and the Lavry Black (which I have tried at home for a couple of hours). With the Lavry in particular the sound was bright and sterile.

The Preamp in my system is a Rotel RC-03. It's a very good little pre, It's typical Rotel sounding. Very silky and smooth sounding. And for the money it does a very good job handeling the other components.

At the moment I'm trying out my Dad's AKG K701 with a nice Musical Fidelity X Can v2 headphone amp. The AKG has only had about 25 hours of use now.

Dec 24, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #38 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should probably also check out the noob stax research thread

Hi,

Thanks for the link.

I really like the look of those AKG K340 electrostatic hybrid headphones when the pics show the inside of them.

It would be nice to hear what they sound like.

That Headphone Wikiphonia site is very helpful.

Dec 24, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #40 of 173
Synergy is most important with any of the Stax headphones. The SR-404 needs a nice tube amp like the T1 or T1S or later edition to make them sound best. I agree more with the first review compared with the second.

Dec 25, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #41 of 173
My fathers AKG K701 headphones are really starting to sound nice. They sound fantastic with any vinyl I play on them. From Acid Jazz to Techno, Pop and Rock.

There very impressive with some of my Nirvana LP albums. For some reason Nirvana always sounds better on Headphones then speakers. I don't know why?

I would love hear what the Stax SR-404 sounds like compare to the K701!!!

Dec 25, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #42 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh Dear
confused_face(1).gif

In my mind there is a debate going, weather if I should go for a nice early 90's Lambda system or the new Stax SRS 4040 Signature II system??

lol!!

I will have to make my mind up sometime. And I must try and find a dealer to listen to a pair of stac headphones.

The real difference between old Lambda and new 303/404 systems is, in a word, tolerance.

The old Lambdas are more tolerant of source and system synergies. They have a touch mellower top end, with just a touch less resolving power in both can driver design and amplifier stage, and this makes them more tolerant of less than perfect sources.

The 303/404, especially with a Stax solid state amp, are not very source tolerant. If your ducks aren't all in a row...the 303/404's will let you know, real quick. They are not really tolerant of digititis, poor system synergy, even mediocre cable choices. My own system, which sounded superb with my Lambda Pros, needed a few changes when I dropped in 404's as replacements. IMHO...with 404's, out of the box, I did not like my system one bit. After changes and upgrades to the system I am happy, but the 404's still yell at me big time if even one of the components hasn't been warmed up properly.

IMHO, as a long-time Stax user (20 years), I would recommend a (used) Lambda Pro system. It will save you a lot of money and in this way you can find out if the Stax sound will even click with you without dropping, and losing, a load of cash. It will also allow you to assess your system for suitability and possible needed upgrades if you wish to go further. The Stax sound is a love-or-hate kind of thing and there is no reason to drop a load of money before you find out if it even works for you.

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #43 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The real difference between old Lambda and new 303/404 systems is, in a word, tolerance.

The old Lambdas are more tolerant of source and system synergies. They have a touch mellower top end, with just a touch less resolving power in both can driver design and amplifier stage, and this makes them more tolerant of less than perfect sources.

The 303/404, especially with a Stax solid state amp, are not very source tolerant. If your ducks aren't all in a row...the 303/404's will let you know, real quick. They are not really tolerant of digititis, poor system synergy, even mediocre cable choices. My own system, which sounded superb with my Lambda Pros, needed a few changes when I dropped in 404's as replacements. IMHO...with 404's, out of the box, I did not like my system one bit. After changes and upgrades to the system I am happy, but the 404's still yell at me big time if even one of the components hasn't been warmed up properly.

IMHO, as a long-time Stax user (20 years), I would recommend a (used) Lambda Pro system. It will save you a lot of money and in this way you can find out if the Stax sound will even click with you without dropping, and losing, a load of cash. It will also allow you to assess your system or suitability and possible needed upgrades if you wish to go further. The Stax sound is a love-or-hate kind of thing and there is no reason to drop a load of money before you find out if it even works for you.

Thanks very much for that.

If I may ask, what is your whole system set up? Amps, Speakers Turntable etc etc, you used with the SR-404?

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #44 of 173
I guess that is why my 404 sounds so good with my T1S. I have a fairly good source in my Lavry DA10. It does not do anything to the music except present it as it is, garbage in, garbage out, so to speak.

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #45 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess that is why my 404 sounds so good with my T1S. I have a fairly good source in my Lavry DA10. It does not do anything to the music except present it as it is, garbage in, garbage out, so to speak.

Good for you
smily_headphones1.gif

My whole system,

TDL Studio 0.75 M speakers
NAD C272 Poweramp
Rotel RC-03 Preamp
Michell Syncro/Rega RB250/Denon DL110 cartridge.

If you had a system like this, what Stax system would you reckon will go good with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back