Stax
Dec 23, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #16 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For one, I greatly prefer the comfort of the Stax (I have SR-Lambdas running through an SRM-T1 amp). The K701 was never uncomfortable to me, but the Lambdas are lighter, and their fit better mimics the shape of the head. Nice design.

I liked the large soundstage of the K701, but I always felt it was unnatural. Instruments felt like they were "too big". Mandolins sounded the same size as guitars, and basses filled the whole picture. The Stax has a large soundstage, but with much more precise imaging. The relative and absolute size of instruments is more realistic, which I enjoy.

The K701 has great detail, but it gets it through a tipped-up frequency response. There is just too much high end, and it makes the rest of the presentation suffer. Lambdas have all the detail that the K701 have, but with a better balanced frequency response. That gives them slightly warmer mids, though they are still described as "cold" sounding.

Neither of them has towering bass to speak of, but the bass from the Lambdas was preferable to me. I felt it was more detailed and realistic sounding, which helped make up for the small lack of quantity.

That's a pretty brief summary -- others have written more, and done so far better than I.

Great ok,

I'm just asking, did you let the K701 burn in properly?

And what type of music do you listen to with the Stax.

And I was reading, with the new Stax headphones of today, they are based on the Lambda design. But do these new stax phones have better improved technology over the Lambda phones?

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #17 of 173
1) My K701 had about 1100 hours, and were recabled with Moon Audio Black Dragon wire.

2) The Stax are, as of right now, my only home phone, so I listen to everything through them. Operatic death metal, post-bop jazz, period choral music, dubstep, etc. The majority of my listening time as of late goes to Indie Rock and psytrance, though.

3) The Lambda design is almost 40 years old. The lambdas I use and love are the oldest ones, normal bias SR-Lambdas. I personally prefer them over the current lambdas (as the new ones have brighter treble) but all of them are pretty good. The best two models of lambda are likely the Lambda Signature and the Lambda Nova Signature, made in 1987 and 1994, respectively. You can get a good Stax setup for about $300 + shipping from ebay and/or audiogon, which is a stone cold steal.

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #18 of 173
I also greatly prefer my Lambdas (both Pro and Signature) over the K701. To me, the K701 is a competent, but ultimately dull phone. The Lambdas, on the other hand, are euphonic and have that sweet stat sound. My toes tap to music with the Lambdas, not with the 701.

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #19 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) My K701 had about 1100 hours, and were recabled with Moon Audio Black Dragon wire.

2) The Stax are, as of right now, my only home phone, so I listen to everything through them. Operatic death metal, post-bop jazz, period choral music, dubstep, etc. The majority of my listening time as of late goes to Indie Rock and psytrance, though.

3) The Lambda design is almost 40 years old. The lambdas I use and love are the oldest ones, normal bias SR-Lambdas. I personally prefer them over the current lambdas (as the new ones have brighter treble) but all of them are pretty good. The best two models of lambda are likely the Lambda Signature and the Lambda Nova Signature, made in 1987 and 1994, respectively. You can get a good Stax setup for about $300 + shipping from ebay and/or audiogon, which is a stone cold steal.

OK Thanks for your help, it's been grand.

Soon when I just save up, I might get the new Stax SRS 3050 II or the 4040 Signature II system. The Headphones in these systems are not Lambdas, I think. One is called the SR-303 and the other one is the SR-404 headphones.

Sorry, I really have to get the hang of model numbers with these stax Headphones.

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #20 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I really have to get the hang of model numbers with these stax Headphones.

No problem, it's a bad system
smily_headphones1.gif

The SR-202, SR-303, SR-404, and 4070 are all lambda designs. The lambdas are large, rectangular "over-the-ear" designs.

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #21 of 173
Quote:

Hello Rob,

Thanks for your reply. I like your system pics, very cool!!!!!

And I see you have those expensive grado cans.

What stax gear have you had?

Hello! Thanks - I've owned the Stax Lambda Pro's. I wanted so much to go for the O2s, but long term they just didn't get me into the music like the phones that I currently own. I actually prefer the Lambda's sound signature to the O2s.

That being said, the O2s are the best of the Stax technically. If they would have made a headphone that had the technical ability of the O2 and the Lambda sound signature, I would be all over it
o2smile.gif
- don't get me wrong the O2s are awesome. I like them a lot. I'd just rather listen to the K-1000s.

I've heard most of the Stax set ups at various meets and with people that have owned them, and I'd say to start small and see if you like the sound long term. Out of the box they sound amazingly fast, detailed and might make you think you need nothing else. Long term, you may feel differently or you might connect to the sound.

Like I mentioned, I really like stats and in the price range you are in, they are very competative. I think you would do yourself well to try them and the Lambdas are probably what I would look at or the low end portable set up which will give you an idea of the sound at a budget price.

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #22 of 173
Quote:

OK Thanks for your help, it's been grand.

Soon when I just save up, I might get the new Stax SRS 3050 II or the 4040 Signature II system. The Headphones in these systems are not Lambdas, I think. One is called the SR-303 and the other one is the SR-404 headphones.

Are you talking about buying those systems new? If so, I suggest reconsidering this expenditure. The 303 and 404 are good phones, but so are the older (cheaper) Lambdas, which many think are actually better. And I do not think the amps with those systems represent a significant improvement over the SRM1/MK2, if any. Your money is best invested elsewhere in your system. Especially since you do not even know if you like 'stats yet. I've found that my Lambdas are less forgiving of my source than most of the dynamic phones I have owned or tried. What is your current source?

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #23 of 173
The 303 and 404 are both overly bright (from what I've read), though. I think that my 202 is also a little too bright and thin. If I ever go crazy and decide to spend the absurd amount of money a Stax 007 setup costs, I don't think that I'll be complaining about thinness (or much else, except about how much money I just spent).

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #24 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you talking about buying those systems new? If so, I suggest reconsidering this expenditure. The 303 and 404 are good phones, but so are the older (cheaper) Lambdas, which many think are actually better. And I do not think the amps with those systems represent a significant improvement over the SRM1/MK2, if any. Your money is best invested elsewhere in your system. Especially since you do not even know if you like 'stats yet. I've found that my Lambdas are less forgiving of my source than most of the dynamic phones I have owned or tried. What is your current source?

Yes I am talking about getting those systems new. But I am also going to consider ebay, as a lot of stax headphones come up very often. Maybe I might look out for a Lambda with a good decent amp on ebay.

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #26 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 303 and 404 are both overly bright (from what I've read), though. I think that my 202 is also a little too bright and thin. If I ever go crazy and decide to spend the absurd amount of money a Stax 007 setup costs, I don't think that I'll be complaining about thinness (or much else, except about how much money I just spent).

Where did you read this from?? saying they are overly bright.

Have you listened to the SR-303 and 404???

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #28 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 303 and 404 are both overly bright (from what I've read), though.

I think neither phone is overly bright. Resolving maybe. Also very source sensitive. But I disagree with your statement. And I have heard both.

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #29 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think neither phone is overly bright. Resolving maybe. Also very source sensitive. But I disagree with your statement. And I have heard both.

Very strange,

I don't know if that was some review ''ferraro25'' read? If it's something from audioreview.com, some people on that site always get their Hifi gear wrong, and giving out silly bad reviews. My father told me not to pay attention to that site. It's really not a proper review site.

No Offence to it what so ever.

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #30 of 173
There is a real wealth of opinion and documentation about Stax on this site. 1400 pages or so, and counting. Nothing is better than hearing for yourself, but second best is head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back