Stax
Dec 23, 2008 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 173

TDL-speakers

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm new to this site so Hi!!!!!!

I'm saving up for a nice Stax Earspeaker system, either the Stax SRS 3050 II or the Stax SRS 4040 Signature II system. I wonder how these Electrostatic headphones sound like?

Please share your views. As I am very interested. I have never had a stax headphone before.

Shane

Dec 23, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 173
I think it's a very good idea to try Stax. It is very fast, resolving and does most things well.

Ultimately I always chose dynamics over stats whether it be speakers or headphones, but I do very much like the stat sound for what it does and would recommend it highly.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 173
If you're just starting out with 'stats, I recommend saving some money (while not necessarily sacrificing SQ), and getting a used Lambda Pro for your phones and a used SRM1/MK2 for the amp. Take the money you save and apply it toward a source or save it for a 007 mk1 or 2.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're just starting out with 'stats, I recommend saving some money (while not necessarily sacrificing SQ), and getting a used Lambda Pro for your phones and a used SRM1/MK2 for the amp. Take the money you save and apply it toward a source or save it for a 007 mk1 or 2.

Woooooo,

The mighty 007
wink.gif
I don't think I will just yet go on that wild side.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woooooo,

The mighty 007
wink.gif
I don't think I will just yet go on that wild side.

Then there's your answer. Use the money saved on your source.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 173
You may also want to read through the old and new stax thread.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 173
For almost 3 years now I have been using Bose Around Ear Headphones. These headphones has always kept me happy with their nice warm sound. I know these cans do lack detail and missing a lot of other words.

Considering Stax are Electrostatic, would I get better detailed bass over the Bose headphones? I do know the stax will still be better then the bose.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 173
Last week my father bought a pair of AKG K701 Headphones. They have had around 12 hours use on them. They still need lots more burning in. Yet they still sound very good, much, MUCH better then the Bose and grado SRS125's.

Has anyone on here done a comparison with an AKG to a Stax headphone??

That's what I will love to know.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 173
I sold my K701 for Stax Lambdas. Everything the K701 did well, the Stax did better. That's just one man's opinion, though, which is all you're ever going to get here.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold my K701 for Stax Lambdas. Everything the K701 did well, the Stax did better. That's just one man's opinion, though, which is all you're ever going to get here.

Really,

What do you find better with the Stax over the K701's??

That's very interesting.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #15 of 173
For one, I greatly prefer the comfort of the Stax (I have SR-Lambdas running through an SRM-T1 amp). The K701 was never uncomfortable to me, but the Lambdas are lighter, and their fit better mimics the shape of the head. Nice design.

I liked the large soundstage of the K701, but I always felt it was unnatural. Instruments felt like they were "too big". Mandolins sounded the same size as guitars, and basses filled the whole picture. The Stax has a large soundstage, but with much more precise imaging. The relative and absolute size of instruments is more realistic, which I enjoy.

The K701 has great detail, but it gets it through a tipped-up frequency response. There is just too much high end, and it makes the rest of the presentation suffer. Lambdas have all the detail that the K701 have, but with a better balanced frequency response. That gives them slightly warmer mids, though they are still described as "cold" sounding.

Neither of them has towering bass to speak of, but the bass from the Lambdas was preferable to me. I felt it was more detailed and realistic sounding, which helped make up for the small lack of quantity.

That's a pretty brief summary -- others have written more, and done so far better than I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back