Stax
Jan 17, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #151 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, I'm just skimming this thread and see that you're fairly enthusiastic about Stax, so I'd say just aim for the O2 right now. It's inevitable at this point. You'll get the O2 within the next year whether you like it or not
biggrin.gif
It's the way things work around here.

Hi:

Problem with this reasoning is that I have no amp to drive the O2s and putting out for even a used O2 and a used 007mk2 at the same time is bending the wallet a bit far. It might break. Thinking: maybe an interim combo that sounds like it would be a step up from the 34 set that is yet very affordable. Then read a lot more from the various threads. Determine the eventual replacements and then replace the amp and then the phones.

Not as romantic as taking the great leap upward, but I think that if I do, any sonic extasies will be tempered by the downward plunge into frigid fiscal eddies.

Whew! Actually sounds exhilerating!

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #152 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
......so I'd say just aim for the O2 right now. It's inevitable at this point. You'll get the O2 within the next year whether you like it or not
biggrin.gif
It's the way things work around here.

I hate you guys....
frown.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #153 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by dickbianchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Experimentation is fun. Tonight I listened to the Quad 77 used as preamp (has pre-outs) with the 34 set attached to the tube amp. Its great..... I will continue to listen to th8s configuration before I go back to the tube pre-amp. Was fooled before by a first impression.....

The 77 as preamp + micrex hybid amp cotinues to sound amazing with the 34. When I want to listen to anything, cd,dvd,tv, I find myself going for the electret rather than thre senns-opera combo. There's more clarity, more sparkle; sounds more real even when it sounds less "euphonious". More exciting.

Eventually I'll put the tube preamp back it. It could end up in the bedroom.

BTW this tube pre-amp puts out a lot more signal. I have to use it with attenuated cales. Would like to try it as a amp with the Senns.

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #154 of 173
I have been reading and contributing to this thread for a while, and have gotten the much appreciated experience of many of you. My interest in Stax has only grown, and while I really enjoy the stuff Im using, Im envious of those who have been able to experience a range of equipment and develop their own taste in this area.

I dont have the opportunity to do this but I am willing to proceed, making decisions on the basis of what I read. Not much different from making decisions on the basis of reviews or reviewers but a lot more input.

Have been trying to upgrade Stax stuff w/o success, only some of it my fault. Have been hit by an avalance of CONUS lately, either stated upfront on ads or the result of inquiries about specific pieces of equipment. In a couple of cases I have made bids only to discover that the piece was just sold (obviously should have acted sooner, and now that I am making a list of stuff I want, as a result of wading thru the marvelous and humungous threads, I will be able to when the opportunity hits).

To insist on CONUS is the right of everybody. I cant and dont blame someone for not wanting to be bothered, whether it is the unknown that stops them or a prior bad experience. But I cant help thinking you have to pack it well and take it to FEDEX, whether you're sending it to Denver or Dhahran; and you can have payment for item and shipping in hand before you ship it.

I dont know if this is the proper forum. On the one hand it is not specifically a discussion of stax; on the other it is a logical outgrowth of my earlier posts in this forum.

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #155 of 173
dickbianchi. Why not just post a WTB (Want To Buy) thread?
Hence those willing to ship to your country get in contact with you, while those CONUS sellers stay clear...

Sure hope you find what you're looking for.
o2smile.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #156 of 173
Quote:

To insist on CONUS is the right of everybody. I cant and dont blame someone for not wanting to be bothered, whether it is the unknown that stops them or a prior bad experience. But I cant help thinking you have to pack it well and take it to FEDEX, whether you're sending it to Denver or Dhahran; and you can have payment for item and shipping in hand before you ship it.

The problem is that international shipping with the US carriers is generally a huge pain in the ass. It can also get very expensive (often unpredictably so) and the tacking options often aren't as robust. The inconvenience factor cannot be understated. In most cases, I can print the postage at home for a given shipment and schedule a pickup from my doorman. Generally not so with international (at least in my experience).

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #157 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dickbianchi. Why not just post a WTB (Want To Buy) thread?
Hence those willing to ship to your country get in contact with you, while those CONUS sellers stay clear...

Sure hope you find what you're looking for.
o2smile.gif

That is a good suggestion. I have pretty much been reacting so far; I will see an ad and do some research about the product. As I get a better sense of what I want next, I can actively seek it.

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #158 of 173
This thead is pretty dormant, but I am going to continue writing about
my experimenting with the 34 electret set and amplification. I've decided
I like tubes somewhere in the chain better than all solid state, but the best combo I've hit on so far is putting the meier opera as preamp in front of the micrex hybrid amp. It sounds very good with both the electret set and with speakers. I think I prefer it to the tube preamp, but I will try the latter again.

This is a long-drawn out process, since I get best impressions if I leave something in place for a long time and then change it. I can hear differences with more clarity than if I listen for a short period, a/b-ing the kit.

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #159 of 173
Quote:

Have been trying to upgrade Stax stuff w/o success, only some of it my fault. Have been hit by an avalance of CONUS lately, either stated upfront on ads or the result of inquiries about specific pieces of equipment. In a couple of cases I have made bids only to discover that the piece was just sold (obviously should have acted sooner, and now that I am making a list of stuff I want, as a result of wading thru the marvelous and humungous threads, I will be able to when the opportunity hits).

I dont know if this is the proper forum. On the one hand it is not specifically a discussion of stax; on the other it is a logical outgrowth of my earlier posts in this forum.

I'm with you on this one. From time to time an item comes up on the fs forums that i would love to buy but it's CONUS only. Quite annoying really considering this is an international forum. I've sent 2 SRD7 mk2's to the US in the last month (ended up with 4 of them
tongue_smile.gif
) so i have no qualms about global postage. This is probably not the right place to discuss this issue but in a lot of cases certain folks think there is some sort of higher risk to posting outside the USA - this however is not true. I regularly make trips to my local post office boxes in hand and off the go to all the corners of the earth. I don't worry because they are insured.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #160 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm with you on this one. From time to time an item comes up on the fs forums that i would love to buy but it's CONUS only. Quite annoying really considering this is an international forum. I've sent 2 SRD7 mk2's to the US in the last month (ended up with 4 of them
tongue_smile.gif
) so i have no qualms about global postage. This is probably not the right place to discuss this issue but in a lot of cases certain folks think there is some sort of higher risk to posting outside the USA - this however is not true. I regularly make trips to my local post office boxes in hand and off the go to all the corners of the earth. I don't worry because they are insured.
smile_phones.gif

And I thank you for the SRD-7 Mk2 sir!
biggrin.gif

I too have shipped things all over the world, so far without issues.

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #161 of 173
Ironically, Im having problems with a shipment from the EU right now. Trouble locating the package which, thankfully, is insured.

And I expect it is some kind of customs glitch and it will arrive soon.

But it is the first time there is any glitch and never any problems at all with parcels from the USA ot UK. All such shipments (and many over the years) have been smooth and efficient.

Dont mean to hijack the thread. The package contains Stax. Does that make it OK?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #162 of 173
dickbianchi. For some reason the parcel seems to have taken a week (7 days) from Oslo, Norway to Amsterdam, Netherlands. From where it seems to have departed two days ago (2009-02-09 - 13:47). It actually travel from outside EU (Norway), to EU (Netherlands), then out of EU again (Saudi Arabia). Go figure...

Wondering why it takes so long time, but at least its insured if it don't make it there safely.

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #163 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is that international shipping with the US carriers is generally a huge pain in the ass. It can also get very expensive (often unpredictably so) and the tacking options often aren't as robust. The inconvenience factor cannot be understated. In most cases, I can print the postage at home for a given shipment and schedule a pickup from my doorman. Generally not so with international (at least in my experience).

What do you have to do in the USA to send something overseas? In both Australia and Japan you just go to the PO and ask it to be sent by EMS/Courier, fill in a form with both addresses and contents details, pay and you're done.

I find the CONUS thing annoying as well, and protested as much in my sig for a while. However, a couple of people agreed to post gear to me from the USA if I paid for postage, which worked out fine.

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #164 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you have to do in the USA to send something overseas? In both Australia and Japan you just go to the PO and ask it to be sent by EMS/Courier, fill in a form with both addresses and contents details, pay and you're done.

I find the CONUS thing annoying as well, and protested as much in my sig for a while. However, a couple of people agreed to post gear to me from the USA if I paid for postage, which worked out fine.

There are a few things that are annoying to me personally, which admittedly might not be annoying to others:

1) Expense - the cost varies a lot from carrier-to-carrier and even within the same carrier depending on service and location.

2) Inconvenience - In general, I have found that in non-business contexts, international shipping is much more inconvenient than domestic, especially when you consider that it is now very easy to print shipping labels online and have packages picked up at one's home. Printing online and pickup for international shipping can get complicated because it often requires customs forms and other materials to which one might not have ready access. I prefer to avoid the post office as much as possible. In NYC, the post office is very annoying and time-consuming. Further, USPS does not offer comprehensive tracking and/or signature confirmation in the lower cost options, which forces one to use FedEx, UPS, or similar, thereby driving up costs.

3) It also has been my experience that the majority of foreign buyers want to negotiate on price (just like domestic buyers). But I find this particularly frustrating because I almost always list my prices all in. So to have someone in Oz or Malaysia haggling on price without acknowledging that it will be much more expensive to ship pisses me off. Unfortunately, cooperative and pragmatic purchasers suffer as a result (at least with my sales).

Again, I can only speak from personal experience, but I simply don't have the time or--frankly--the desire to go through the above when it is much easier for me to sell domestically. My advice to non-US buyers is to approach sellers who specify CONUS only with a compelling price that acknowledges the additional fees and trouble incurred and the specific shipping option they would like to use. You would be surprised how few buyers do this.

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #165 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a few things that are annoying to me personally, which admittedly might not be annoying to others:

1) Expense - the cost varies a lot from carrier-to-carrier and even within the same carrier depending on service and location.

2) Inconvenience - In general, I have found that in non-business contexts, international shipping is much more inconvenient than domestic, especially when you consider that it is now very easy to print shipping labels online and have packages picked up at one's home. Printing online and pickup for international shipping can get complicated because it often requires customs forms and other materials to which one might not have ready access. I prefer to avoid the post office as much as possible. In NYC, the post office is very annoying and time-consuming. Further, USPS does not offer comprehensive tracking and/or signature confirmation in the lower cost options, which forces one to use FedEx, UPS, or similar, thereby driving up costs.

3) It also has been my experience that the majority of foreign buyers want to negotiate on price (just like domestic buyers). But I find this particularly frustrating because I almost always list my prices all in. So to have someone in Oz or Malaysia haggling on price without acknowledging that it will be much more expensive to ship pisses me off. Unfortunately, cooperative and pragmatic purchasers suffer as a result (at least with my sales).

Again, I can only speak from personal experience, but I simply don't have the time or--frankly--the desire to go through the above when it is much easier for me to sell domestically. My advice to non-US buyers is to approach sellers who specify CONUS only with a compelling price that acknowledges the additional fees and trouble incurred and the specific shipping option they would like to use. You would be surprised how few buyers do this.

I found this post enlightening. Ive always lived in cities and have visited Manhattan enough to imagine the potential hassle of shlepping parcels to the Post Office.

And I can also identify with the irritation of dealing with a potential buyer who tries to subtract every possible cent from a price you know is fair (something which seems to happen to me a lot whenever or wherever I try to sell something --and right now I live in a country where haggling is an expected part of the sales process and people seem really amazed or even disappointed when you set a price and dont want to sell for under it).

I did not realize the variables of shipping until I'd bought a few things. I was, first of all, amazed at the cost. I know it would be irritating to a seller to have people trying, in some way, to make him responsible for the high cost of shipping or the problems of shipping.

Your post has made me aware of two things. The place where one seller ships from might present a number of problems that dont exist in another place; and people vary in their interest and capacity when it comes to dealing with the additional problems of international selling. And maybe a third thing, the possibility of offering something that might compensate for the hassle if it is something you want badly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back