Stax SR-X9000
Oct 15, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #1,651 of 2,979
We will see on measurements soon Werner. :wink: The rest is speculation.
Shame Nomax did not post the video with Axel Grell saying why Stax has no bass lol.

This video was shown to me in Heidelberg, Thomas (unfortunately, it is not yet available publicly).
Axel claimed that Stax doesn't channelize bass through their earpad geometry compared to some other headphone manufacturers. But he did not concretely say that X9000 had a bad bass!

I interpret this by applying Bernoulli's Law, which means increasing the air pressure by decreasing the duct diameter as the sound wave travels from the diaphragm to the ear.
Of course, this allows you to increase the decibels in the pressure-sensitive low-frequency range.

However, this does not automatically mean that the decibels for certain headphones are too low without the application of such a "Bernoulli pressure amplification". It might even get too much boost there. Or do you want to have an exaggerated bass hump? Maybe nice for Heavy Metal music. Take an EQ if you like to adapt the FR to your very personal preferences!

And please don't forget that even Axel - whom I admire as a very experienced and knowledgeable electrical engineer - is talking about his own "baby" (= Sennheiser HE-1) compared to the competition (at eye hight, this certainly is the Stax X9000 and, of course, the Shangri-La Sr).
Normally, no one professionally involved in the headphone business is free from biased opinions :wink:.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #1,652 of 2,979
This video was shown to me in Heidelberg, Thomas (unfortunately, it is not yet available publicly).
Axel claimed that Stax doesn't channelize bass through their earpad geometry compared to some other headphone manufacturers. But he did not concretely say that X9000 had a bad bass!

I interpret this by applying Bernoulli's Law, which means increasing the air pressure by decreasing the duct diameter as the sound wave travels from the diaphragm to the ear.
Of course, this allows you to increase the decibels in the pressure-sensitive low-frequency range.

However, this does not automatically mean that the decibels for certain headphones are too low without the application of such a "Bernoulli pressure amplification". It might even get too much boost there. Or do you want to have an exaggerated bass hump? Maybe nice for Heavy Metal music. Take an EQ if you like to adapt the FR to your very personal preferences!

And please don't forget that even Axel - whom I admire as a very experienced and knowledgeable electrical engineer - is talking about his own "baby" (= Sennheiser HE-1) compared to the competition (at eye hight, this certainly is the Stax X9000 and, of course, the Shangri-La Sr).
Normally, no one professionally involved in the headphone business is free from biased opinions :wink:.
The bass on the x9000s is astonishing. Every time I listen to them I am surprised by how right and present the bass support is. They seem to fit so loosely on your head, but yet, they produce very supportive bass. In classical music the double basses sound fantastic on the x9000s.

Oct 15, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #1,653 of 2,979
Seems the newer X9000 samples have more bass quantity, hmmm...
What do you think which headphone is better suited for metal CRBN or X9000? Has the X9000 really enough punch?
You really must hear the Utopia 2022 because you hear so much metal!
The x9000 has always been said to have good bass - I even answered you months ago when you asked this exact question since I had both the CRBN & x9000.

Oct 15, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #1,654 of 2,979
The bass on the x9000s is astonishing. Every time I listen to them I am surprised by how right and present the bass support is. They seem to fit so loosely on your head, but yet, they produce very supportive bass. In classical music the double basses sound fantastic on the x9000s.
Br sure my next purchase is the X9000 have no interest on other headphones currently. Have already nearly all other.

Oct 15, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #1,655 of 2,979

Right, the X9K has bigger internal diameter (volume) pads than the 009, which have more than the 007.
Bass extension of the X9K drivers is at least as good as the 009's, and better than any 007 variant. But the bass presentation is different.
Bass volume is just right for my taste, and I do like bass -- but bass-heads maybe want even more.
The fact that bass appears in a bigger head space makes it perceived subjectively less in quantity, or less "dense", more ethereal etc.

But IMHO the X9K has the best bass quality and extension across all Stax headphones, except perhaps the SR-Omega (which I heard too long time ago to include in the statement). I like how bass instruments are presented.
I heard 2 different X9K, one older and one newer and they had very similar sound, in bass and elsewhere. So similar that sample to sample variation is probably due to the variations in the ear pads, not the drivers.

If someone wants more bass from the X9K, in theory it could be achieved e.g. by changing ear pads. Just pull out the pads and use double-sided adhesive tape patches to attach other pads. I for one would do the opposite, as IMHO the X9K ear pads are near perfection. The whole headphone is well optimized IMHO.

The energizer obviously also has an impact on the bass.

My only small gripe with the X9K is not with the bass, it's how the treble is _presented_. It feels like there is a slight hash that I also heard with the SR-Omega, and only in comparison with the 007 Mk1 and the Phenomenon Libratums. I checked that with multiple sources (LP, CD, streamer) and multiple energizers (tube and SS) and it was a consistent experience.
If I had a wish to Stax, it would be to make a version like the 007 Mk1, perhaps the X7K, eventually with somewhat thicker diaphragm and slightly more body and more velvety fluidity, definition and body in the upper end. Upstream synergy might help that somewhat.

I'd say if you have the X9K, get a good energizer (Carbon or tubes), quality sources, forget about comparisons and just enjoy the music.
For metal/EDM bass-frenzy, just use EQ to your taste. That is not about fidelity IMHO :).

Oct 15, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #1,656 of 2,979
The same trolls pops in this thread throwing jabs at the x9000 masked by the same question every, single time, every few weeks. Quite honestly, we should just ignore it. It's silliness at this point lol

Oct 15, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #1,657 of 2,979
The same trolls pops in this thread throwing jabs at the x9000 masked by the same question every, single time, every few weeks. Quite honestly, we should just ignore it. It's silliness at this point lol
You are a troll! Raving his own headphones.
The X9000 together with SGL may be your dream, but it doesn't have to be that way for others. The most expensive is not always the best, even if many still believe it.

Now I leave you alone again with your dreams bye

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #1,658 of 2,979
You are a troll! Raving his own headphones.
The X9000 together with SGL may be your dream, but it doesn't have to be that way for others. The most expensive is not always the best, even if many still believe it.

Now I leave you alone again with your dreams bye
How many times are you going to edit and add to this post? lol

I think for most people, it's pretty clear who has an agenda and who doesn't. I have 0 brand/product loyalty and I only rave about headphones in my own thread. I don't push any product on anyone, unlike yourself with the CRBN and Utopia is king/endgame mantra as if you're being paid to do so.

You've asked how the x9000 is with metal 17 times. Users have answered you repeatedly, genuinely and yet you keep asking (I myself have even said it's probably not a great match). And the follow up is the same every time.. "the x9000 has no bass". So if you've decided that, without owning them btw, why keep coming here to ask? It's to follow up with your constant bashing of the x9000. The agenda is clear as day lol

I don't care whether people like or love the x9000, SLG Sr. or anything else for that matter, but yes, trolling is annoying. I'm ashamed that I'm engaging and responding to this, I'm a part of the problem lol

Oct 15, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #1,659 of 2,979
How many times are you going to edit and add to this post? lol

I think for most people, it's pretty clear who has an agenda and who doesn't. I have 0 brand/product loyalty and I only rave about headphones in my own thread. I don't push any product on anyone, unlike yourself with the CRBN and Utopia is king/endgame mantra as if you're being paid to do so.

You've asked how the x9000 is with metal 17 times. Users have answered you repeatedly, genuinely and yet you keep asking (I myself have even said it's probably not a great match). And the follow up is the same every time.. "the x9000 has no bass". So if you've decided that, without owning them btw, why keep coming here to ask? It's to follow up with your constant bashing of the x9000. The agenda is clear as day lol

I don't care whether people like or love the x9000, SLG Sr. or anything else for that matter, but yes, trolling is annoying. I'm ashamed that I'm engaging and responding to this, I'm a part of the problem lol
And how long you wrote this? Have you no other Hobbys? Yes you're right you're king hehe bye have no time to write forth and back for such crap.

Oct 15, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #1,660 of 2,979
And how long you wrote this? Have you no other Hobbys? Yes you're right you're king hehe bye have no time to write forth and back for such crap.
For a while I thought you worked at audeze or something lol. You ride it kinda hard man

Oct 15, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #1,661 of 2,979
trance have you actually listened to the X9K yet?

you keep asking about metal for the past year or so and I can tell you that whatever you throw at these is gonna sound good. Im actually really surprised you bought the Audeze estat. Anyway id say that id honestly (in my personal opinion) be surprised if anyone put the X9K on their head and flat out hated it out of a decent amp. Very enjoyable. As is the 007MK1 the 009...ect. Hell id even go to bat for the 007mk2. Theyre wonky but I dig it. They have their own weird signature. Time I spent listening with them was very enjoyable.

You're now a believer is estats right? I mean you actually bought one. Consider the other ones just different flavor to your crbn. maybe you would really like the L300. I dunno. I don't get your hate.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #1,662 of 2,979
Seems the newer X9000 samples have more bass quantity, hmmm...
What do you think which headphone is better suited for metal CRBN or X9000? Has the X9000 really enough punch?
You really must hear the Utopia 2022 because you hear so much metal!
The X9K is very good with metal. I listened to a couple of metal albums with it just now. The X9K has more clarity than the CRBN, so I like it better in comparison. The X9K is a bit more laid back, which works well with very harsh music too.

I have the 2022 Utopia coming in the next week or so. I’m excited to hear it.

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #1,663 of 2,979
I can tell you that whatever you throw at these is gonna sound good.
That's just flat out untrue.
Just because you get used to a particular sound so much that you think that does not necessarily make it that great in reality.
We can also reverse this by observing the "wonky 007" carrying other traits one may not pay attention to at first.

This is one test track I use nowadays because it is easy to get a sense of the tonal balance or to distinguish which headphone reproduces the kick drum, cymbal or vocal better. Not saying this is a valid test, just saying that what the guy says helps a bit at determining where I'm actually at, although listening to it on speakers that were used for mixing would be a better reference point.
(Of course we also need to believe that a particular mix is "correct", which people can argue about all day long as well.)

The X9000 is above average at best (to my ears anyway considering its cost, there are recordings where it may score higher, but I already wrote about only accepting this "feature" in a lower-end model).
Some characteristics are great, but there are others, which are unimpressive. Feels no more reference (or less like a 'hi-fi product') than others costing way less.
Some of it simply comes from being an electrostat where for instance timbre can be problematic. It is what it is, take it or leave it.
And personally, I don't believe in amps, EQ, mods etc. 'magically eliminating' those things.
So maybe the next version will not be 'better', as tuning it to be 'better' without other drawbacks might be an impossible task by itself.

I don't expect to read about those in this thread at all, because I rarely see somewhat less subjective articles anymore anywhere.
People want to upvote positive thoughts, they also don't want to judge their own gear negatively, I get it.
It just annoys me when I see opinions like these that are so blindsided.
(My opinions should be considered as additional takes towards those, not as hate towards a particular headphone. If anyone is going to claim that the next version is "the one", that basically invalidates everything that was previously said about this model.)

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #1,664 of 2,979
That was clear, that came like "Amen in church", it's always the same ...
This is the world and we have to live with it.
But let's take an "Amazon histogram of stars" for X9k: 5 stars = 90%, 4 stars = 8%, 3 stars =0%, 2 stars=0%
1 stars (= in reality meaning zero stars and the rated headphone is equal to BS) = 2%.
These 2% always exist, no matter how perfect the product is:wink:

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #1,665 of 2,979
we all have different ears. You can like it, you can hate it, there are no absolutes - we all have different ears.

I assume anyone subscribed to this thread is interested in, has, or want to learn more about the K9k and enrich the enjoyment of everyone else that is joining this thread. that's the only point being part of any community here (at least for me).

Peace all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back