Stax SR-X9000
Oct 6, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #1,621 of 3,032
Running the X9K with the KGST this morning. The X9K is lovely and lush with the KGST. :)

Oct 6, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #1,623 of 3,032
They are opening up nicely and the bass is getting better and better.
The only other electrostatic headphones I have are the SR-009.
The X9000 is much smoother and the sound stage is bigger and more 3D in comparison.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 6, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #1,625 of 3,032
Like that combo better than the Carbon? I’ve owned both amps but only had the Carbon at the same time as the Srx9k.
Felt the Carbon was much better than the KGST on the 009s.
I think it depends on what you want. I will say that I do like the contrast. So, no preference either way. Depends on the type of music and mood I suspect.

I think the Carbon likely gives you better dynamics and head room with the 009S. But it’s more lush and rich totally with the KGST. The one that really suits the KGST is the 009.

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #1,626 of 3,032
I think it depends on what you want. I will say that I do like the contrast. So, no preference either way. Depends on the type of music and mood I suspect.

I think the Carbon likely gives you better dynamics and head room with the 009S. But it’s more lush and rich totally with the KGST. The one that really suits the KGST is the 009.
I found the KGST made the 009S even thinner on the bass and harsher on the highs compared to the Carbon.

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #1,627 of 3,032
I found the KGST made the 009S even thinner on the bass and harsher on the highs compared to the Carbon.
Ah OK. Will give it more of a listen when I have time. I spent more time with the 009. And the KGST is still new in the chain. :)

Oct 8, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #1,628 of 3,032
Early Sunday morning easy listening on the KGST. Cool chill jazz. :)

23C554CD-B833-4A92-A078-FA44061F397A.png

Oct 12, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #1,630 of 3,032
I know the X9000 is still on back order with months waiting time, but I’m curious how much the X9000 is from a dealer? A lot of people are able to get deals from their local dealers as apposed to paying MSRP. Does anyone have any experience with doing this?
Not the case with the x9000 yet. If anything some deals may be going above MSRP (as was the case with one near me for a unit they had in-stock). Most Stax have historically been this way. Maybe the 009s is at a discount now 4-5 years after release, but I think those are more the open/demo units and not true dealers selling below msrp.

Even now with the increase in supply an order takes 6-10 months to fill. I ordered mine the end of last year and the unit came in last month (~9 months), only for it to have a driver imbalance out of the box and is back with Stax. Total turnaround for me is now nearing 11 months and counting for a fully functional unit.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #1,633 of 3,032
Not the case with the x9000 yet. If anything some deals may be going above MSRP (as was the case with one near me for a unit they had in-stock). Most Stax have historically been this way. Maybe the 009s is at a discount now 4-5 years after release, but I think those are more the open/demo units and not true dealers selling below msrp.

Even now with the increase in supply an order takes 6-10 months to fill. I ordered mine the end of last year and the unit came in last month (~9 months), only for it to have a driver imbalance out of the box and is back with Stax. Total turnaround for me is now nearing 11 months and counting for a fully functional unit.
Thanks for the reply and info. I was thinking there might not be deals to be had due to the already long wait times. I didn’t realize that this was common for most Stax models in general though. I suppose placing an order and waiting is the best route to go or getting lucky on finding a used one in the classifieds.

Sorry to hear about your driver imbalance! That had to be frustrating after waiting 9 months. Hopefully your replacement pair comes sooner than that. 18 months would be a crazy long time to wait.
Are the lead times so long due to high demand? Supply chain shortages? Or are they made to order? The X9000 seems to be the only headphone with this level of wait required.

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #1,634 of 3,032
He90 x9000 omega Guess who won?
11884766.jpg
My guess is Technically speaking in terms of micro and macro resolution and technicalies, I vote for X9000 yet the other two could have appealing analogue tuning. Also Omega sounds more aggressive and dynamic in terms of sonic style while X9000 is more relaxed.

So what are your thoughts

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #1,635 of 3,032
Thanks for the reply and info. I was thinking there might not be deals to be had due to the already long wait times. I didn’t realize that this was common for most Stax models in general though. I suppose placing an order and waiting is the best route to go or getting lucky on finding a used one in the classifieds.

Sorry to hear about your driver imbalance! That had to be frustrating after waiting 9 months. Hopefully your replacement pair comes sooner than that. 18 months would be a crazy long time to wait.
Are the lead times so long due to high demand? Supply chain shortages? Or are they made to order? The X9000 seems to be the only headphone with this level of wait required.

I'd bet (I don't know but strong guess) these are supply chain issue. Stax isn't a bespoke manufacturer, and they'd have loved to sell more if they could. Shortages in various raw materials are creating various cascading effects down the chain across many products. I suspect one or more of their suppliers were impacted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back