Stax SR-X9000
Oct 12, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #1,636 of 3,032
Thanks for the reply and info. I was thinking there might not be deals to be had due to the already long wait times. I didn’t realize that this was common for most Stax models in general though. I suppose placing an order and waiting is the best route to go or getting lucky on finding a used one in the classifieds.

Sorry to hear about your driver imbalance! That had to be frustrating after waiting 9 months. Hopefully your replacement pair comes sooner than that. 18 months would be a crazy long time to wait.
Are the lead times so long due to high demand? Supply chain shortages? Or are they made to order? The X9000 seems to be the only headphone with this level of wait required.
The eta on the returned fix unit is early next month for me - so about 8 weeks from my house and back.

It’s a demand / supply issue but historically they had the same wait when the sr-009 released back 10 years ago. So I don’t think we can fully blame it on post-pandemic material shortages.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #1,637 of 3,032
I know the X9000 is still on back order with months waiting time, but I’m curious how much the X9000 is from a dealer? A lot of people are able to get deals from their local dealers as apposed to paying MSRP. Does anyone have any experience with doing this?
PM'd.

Oct 12, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #1,638 of 3,032
My guess is Technically speaking in terms of micro and macro resolution and technicalies, I vote for X9000 yet the other two could have appealing analogue tuning. Also Omega sounds more aggressive and dynamic in terms of sonic style while X9000 is more relaxed.

So what are your thoughts
Very correct x9000 is better

Oct 13, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #1,639 of 3,032
He90 x9000 omega Guess who won?
11884766.jpg

Any follow up here with thoughts!? :)

Having owned or heard all 3, I think it mainly just comes down to what you're looking for and preference.. but I'm always super interested in the comparisons and others' thoughts on where they have each of these ranked.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #1,640 of 3,032
My X9K arrived today after a long 11 month wait. Right off the bat, the X9K sounds amazing. It has similar bass quantity as the CRBN, the resolution is top notch (but slightly below the Shangri-la Sr), imaging is great, the soundstage and separation between the instruments is really, really good (perhaps even better than the Shangri-la Sr is that regard).

It is a more laid back sounding pair of headphones than the Shangri-la, but like the Susvara it means it is more forgiving of poorly recorded albums. Off of an hour of listening, I could see the X9K as a compliment to the Shangri-la. I don't have any reason to have the CRBN anymore, so I will likely sell it (we shall see).

Oct 14, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #1,641 of 3,032
My X9K arrived today after a long 11 month wait. Right off the bat, the X9K sounds amazing. It has similar bass quantity as the CRBN, the resolution is top notch (but slightly below the Shangri-la Sr), imaging is great, the soundstage and separation between the instruments is really, really good (perhaps even better than the Shangri-la Sr is that regard).

It is a more laid back sounding pair of headphones than the Shangri-la, but like the Susvara it means it is more forgiving of poorly recorded albums. Off of an hour of listening, I could see the X9K as a compliment to the Shangri-la. I don't have any reason to have the CRBN anymore, so I will likely sell it (we shall see).

Very glad that you finally got them. I know that was a rough wait. And 100% agree with your early assessment. I was pleasantly surprised by the bass.. and I find the x9000 to have a wider soundstage but the Sr. taller--but I also would give the separation to the x9000. Just an insanely open feel to them.

Looking forward to more updates as you go. Also did you end up giving up your Sr1a?

Oct 14, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #1,642 of 3,032
Very glad that you finally got them. I know that was a rough wait. And 100% agree with your early assessment. I was pleasantly surprised by the bass.. and I find the x9000 to have a wider soundstage but the Sr. taller--but I also would give the separation to the x9000. Just an insanely open feel to them.

Looking forward to more updates as you go. Also did you end up giving up your Sr1a?
I did end up selling the Sr1a. It just became redundant. I haven't really been missing it that much either

Oct 14, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #1,643 of 3,032
I did end up selling the Sr1a. It just became redundant. I haven't really been missing it that much either

Makes sense. I asked because we've owned a lot of the same gear and I've been on the fence with selling it for quite some time.

Oct 14, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #1,644 of 3,032

11 months, madness! Glad you are enjoying, I feel very similarly about them in terms of sound :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oct 15, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #1,645 of 3,032
You can see right through the ear cup, which is kinda crazy

1665807354136.png

Oct 15, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #1,648 of 3,032

Seems the newer X9000 samples have more bass quantity, hmmm...
What do you think which headphone is better suited for metal CRBN or X9000? Has the X9000 really enough punch?
You really must hear the Utopia 2022 because you hear so much metal!

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #1,649 of 3,032
Seems the newer X9000 samples have more bass quantity, hmmm...
What do you think which headphone is better suited for metal CRBN or X9000? Has the X9000 really enough punch?
You really must hear the Utopia 2022 because you hear so much metal!

No, it is not the new releases, only. Also the early X9000 exhibit exactly the above described great bass frequency representation.
I recently listened to a new sample and compared it to an early sample. Both exhibit perfectly the identical sound signature and both were great on bass.
If one or two people at other forums claim that the X9000 was bass anemic (as also you always claim, while you have never listened to an X9000 yourself! Or did you?), this would be the opinion of a minority who maybe has a very special hearing (or got a "Monday product" or so-called "Friday car" or "a real lemon"; however, Stax is not known for a bad quality check). Look at the many opinions and listening experiences here at the head-fi forum. They all prove the excellent bass performance of the X9000.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back