Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #1,068 of 1,163
Turns out if you listen for a few hours they flex and seal. Just have to wait it out.
You can put some very small plastic tubes in the middle on the pins to make them fatter.
Mine have that in some pins.
184F5D33-29DD-48B7-9AC4-379191DFAA2E.jpeg

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,071 of 1,163
@pspentax for the win!
Pulled tiny pins from stock pads and made sure all four corners of the new 700 pads had pin and they are all tight now!
Thanks!

Wow... nice 👌
I’m happy that worked 😉

Mar 8, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #1,072 of 1,163
I received my pads from Vesperaudio, i must say with the more expensive headband from sr-l700 and those pads i extremely enjoy now those headphones andf finally started to use then daily, but overall it is a 250Euro upgrade ..

Here is a picture i took for the comparison of the pads :

20210227_122322.jpg

Mar 8, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #1,074 of 1,163
Awesome indeed. So the metal headband is more rugged and no so tight? And did the sound change in any way with these new pads?
The sr-l700 headband is not metal , it is still plastic and yes not so tight and more important it is longer by 1 - 2 cm, which on my head did all the difference.
I ll pick both tomorrow side by side and make a pic too for people to compare.
For the sound im feeling exactly what you described in your socas pads evaluation here : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/socas-pad-adapters-for-stax-ear-speakers.923790/post-15568105
when you where using the socas3d spacers, however i guess that the Vesper pads are a bit more comfortable.
Im using them with a Ifi idsd black with the Xbass Boost always on so i have perfect bass too for my taste.

Took me a while to get a nice setup, but yes those are my daily homeworking headphones now and i guess it will be my endgame for years to come

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #1,076 of 1,163
I checked out your link for the MK2 L700 headband. Looks nice, but I'm certain the main section is still plastic, although it is a very durable and resilient material Stax has chosen that doesn't seem to lose its clapping force; it is the yokes or earcup holder that is aluminum.

@malosasha congrats on your new setup. I might have to try that or other Vesper Audio earpads too. I have one more recommendation however. Insert maybe 4 little one-inch strips of removable putty such as blue-tac between the earpad and where it connects to the headphones themselves. This may add perhaps a half a millimeter more space, but that also adds extra vent holes; which seem to benefit these Stax with better resolution to the bass allowing the air to breathe better. And then maybe you can have better texture and natural volume of the bass rather than having to boost it artificially. And out of curiosity which transformer or energizer are you using?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #1,077 of 1,163
I checked out your link for the MK2 L700 headband. Looks nice, but I'm certain the main section is still plastic, although it is a very durable and resilient material Stax has chosen that doesn't seem to lose its clapping force; it is the yokes or earcup holder that is aluminum.

@malosasha congrats on your new setup. I might have to try that or other Vesper Audio earpads too. I have one more recommendation however. Insert maybe 4 little one-inch strips of removable putty such as blue-tac between the earpad and where it connects to the headphones themselves. This may add perhaps a half a millimeter more space, but that also adds extra vent holes; which seem to benefit these Stax with better resolution to the bass allowing the air to breathe better. And then maybe you can have better texture and natural volume of the bass rather than having to boost it artificially. And out of curiosity which transformer or energizer are you using?
I indeed read your recomendations on this and actually the youtube z-review on the socas mod recommend it too if not wrong, but can this be done with the original mount without a spacer ?
The Vesper pads come without a plastic frame and you need to reuse the original mount . The original design of the sr-l300 cups doesnt seem adequate to use the blue-tac mod while the socas spacer is a flat surface and looks more appropriate if not wrong.

Im using the srm-252s

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #1,078 of 1,163
Yup, the blue Tac mod can be used in your earpad setup. Just insert actually about 4-6 evenly spaced pieces of putty about an inch across and actually about 2 to 3 mm tall, and it will put a small gap between where the earpads had connected. So then instead of snapping the earpad together with the headphones, you are now sticking them together with the putty that makes it a smidget wider overall.

Oh I see, SRM 252, haven't tried it yet. I have the 727A. It's a lot better than the old SRM 1 / MK2, but actually leaves a bit to be desired with dynamics

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #1,079 of 1,163
I meant to say I have the SRM - 727A. And the blue tac essentially replaces the earpad connection by lifting it off a little bit and keeping them together with its adhesive, also with some space between themselves; and you can also have the earpads remain partially snapped into place

Mar 8, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #1,080 of 1,163
thanks, understood now.

unfortunatly the SRM 252 cant be bought separatly, only in a kit :frowning2: i cant really compare on SQ as it is my first stax config but size wise for a desktop setup it is perfect :)

Edit : one comment on the VesperPads, it takes like 30 days+ atm for VesperAudio to build them + shipping, so it needs a bit of patience / planing :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back