Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #1,083 of 1,163
The SRS3100 will come with a power supply.. If you want a good one, I can suggest the Ifi Ipower 12v.
That's interesting how you say it comes with a power supply so casually.

In fact, I am extremely frustrated in this matter. Can 100V devices be used in 120V wall outlets? I can use the included 100V power supply in a Canadian 120V 60 Hz wall?

It's nothing against you hahaha. I just want a yes or no answer, so I can save headache in finding another power supply as it costs to ship to Canada etc etc.

There seems to be mixed opinion online.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #1,084 of 1,163
i would buy a 120 - 12V , especially when powering sound related device, to not risk of introducing any noise/distortion ...
Howeber im bias as i have the opposite bad experience of 100-220 powersupply frying in the middle of customer meetings in Japan :)

Check this link for more info as you need a 12V/ 4W / central negative PS : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/power-supply-for-stax-srm-252s.823340/post-12944966

Regarding the pads, original one are a hit or miss based on head morphology, as they are really thin, the socas spacers wont help in that regards i think. I didnt use my stax for 2 month+ after i get them until i received VesperAudio pads, now they are my daily :)
Same goes for the headband in my case :frowning2:

Mar 19, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,085 of 1,163
i would buy a 120 - 12V , especially when powering sound related device, to not risk of introducing any noise/distortion ...
Howeber im bias as i have the opposite bad experience of 100-220 powersupply frying in the middle of customer meetings in Japan :)

Check this link for more info as you need a 12V/ 4W / central negative PS : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/power-supply-for-stax-srm-252s.823340/post-12944966

Regarding the pads, original one are a hit or miss based on head morphology, as they are really thin, the socas spacers wont help in that regards i think. I didnt use my stax for 2 month+ after i get them until i received VesperAudio pads, now they are my daily :)
Same goes for the headband in my case :frowning2:
I was about to give you a thumbs up, but the like feature is removed from head-fi? lol.

That's very interesting about the pads. I got the mount, not the pads, https://socas3d.com/headphonemods/s...300-l500-l700?category=STAX SR-L300/L500/L700

I thought about this issue briefly as well. To me, having round pads is more sensible, as I'm afraid of sound leakage (and thereby sound alteration) if the pads are in a square shape.

Mar 19, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #1,086 of 1,163
That's interesting how you say it comes with a power supply so casually.

In fact, I am extremely frustrated in this matter. Can 100V devices be used in 120V wall outlets? I can use the included 100V power supply in a Canadian 120V 60 Hz wall?

It's nothing against you hahaha. I just want a yes or no answer, so I can save headache in finding another power supply as it costs to ship to Canada etc etc.

There seems to be mixed opinion online.
Oh absolutely no. Even 10 voltage above or below the required voltage is bad. You just need 12Volts that's it. Ifi Ipower 12v x is amazing.

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #1,087 of 1,163
Oh absolutely no. Even 10 voltage above or below the required voltage is bad. You just need 12Volts that's it. Ifi Ipower 12v x is amazing.
Sorry, I am a bit confused. This is the 3100 system I bought. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Stax-SRS-31...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Is that a bad purchase? Maybe I should have researched a bit more on the power supply.

This is what is confusing me:

The amp is 100V, the power supply that it comes with is ??V, the recommended power supply is 12V? The wall outlet is 120V. Can you please explain this to me?

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #1,088 of 1,163
Sorry, I am a bit confused. This is the 3100 system I bought. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Stax-SRS-3100-Ear-speaker-system/114627476296?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Is that a bad purchase? Maybe I should have researched a bit more on the power supply.

This is what is confusing me:

The amp is 100V, the power supply that it comes with is ??V, the recommended power supply is 12V? The wall outlet is 120V. Can you please explain this to me?

It means that it's rated for Japan's power outlets, which are 100V 50/60hz, thus you need a step-down power transformer. In your case, a 120 to 100 volts one. That ~20 volts difference can and will damage the internal components.
I ordered a Stax combo (L700mk II and SRM-353x amp). The amp is also 100V. I couldn't find a variant of that amp for either 120V or 230V. They exist, but where all out of stock.
Where I live it's 230V 50hz but 230 to 120V step down converters are easily available, so a 120V amp wouldn't have been much of a problem.
Luckily, the Stax dealer I ordered the combo from included a japanese-made 230 to 100V step down converter with the amp, and for free.
It doesn't need to have a lot of watts, 100-120w is more than enough. Stax solid-state energizers don't need a lot of power. The SRM-353X, IIRC, only consumes 30 watts.
Don't buy high wattage converters, because those are meant for heating appliances (irons, rice cookers, hair dryers, etc), thus they will fry your amp.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #1,089 of 1,163
It means that it's meant for Japan's power mains (100V 50/60hz), thus you need a step-down power transformer, in your case, a 120 to 100 volts one. That 20 volts difference and and will damage the internal components.
I ordered a Stax combo, and the amp is also 100V. I knew this beforehand because the same model but I couldn't find the version for either 120V or 230V. Where I live it's 230V 50hz but 230 to 120 step down converters are easily available. Luckily, the Stax dealer included a japanese-made 230v to 100v step down converter.
It doesn't need to have a lot of watts, 100-120 is more than enough. Stax solid-state energizers don't need a lot of power.
High wattage converters are meant for heating appliances (irons, rice cookers, hair dryers, etc).
Thanks a lot for this. I had thought that just replacing the 12V DC power supply was enough. But it looks like I will need a transformer as well. So in fact, I can just keep the original power supply, and buy a transformer to take care of the 20V difference.

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #1,090 of 1,163
Thanks a lot for this. I had thought that just replacing the 12V DC power supply was enough. But it looks like I will need a transformer as well. So in fact, I can just keep the original power supply, and buy a transformer to take care of the 20V difference.
Well, that changes things. The SRS-3100 comes with an SRM-252S amp, which has an external power supply.
If you can change it for one that is rated for 120 volts, then you don't need the step down converter.
The SRM-353X I ordered has an internal PSU, so I have no other choice but to use the step-down converter, unlike you.
So, if you can change, do it. If you can't find a 120v one, get the step down converter instead.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #1,091 of 1,163
Well, that changes things. The SRS-3100 comes with an SRM-252S amp, which has an external power supply.
If you can change it for one that is rated for 120 volts, then you don't need the step down converter.
The SRM-353X I ordered has an internal PSU, so I have no other choice but to use the step-down converter, unlike you.
So, if you can change, do it. If you can't find a 120v one, get the step down converter instead.
Okay, so my mind is changed again. Obviously, it would be good to avoid the bulk of a transformer. I think the IFI one will work, though it is a bit expensive.

Thanks for clarifying again, lol.

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #1,092 of 1,163
Okay, so my mind is changed again. Obviously, it would be good to avoid the bulk of a transformer. I think the IFI one will work, though it is a bit expensive.

Thanks for clarifying again, lol.
The step down converters I mentioned, they are between 25 and 50 US dollars, depending the model or brand. You have the Nissyo and Kashimura brands.
The bad thing is that, at least on eBay, they are sold almost exclusively by japanese dealers. Ergo, you will have to import them.
The ones suited for Stax amps and other small appliances aren't that bulky.
I hope you can get this problem solved.

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #1,093 of 1,163
The step down converters I mentioned, they are between 25 and 50 US dollars, depending the model or brand. You have the Nissyo and Kashimura brands.
The bad thing is that, at least on eBay, they are sold almost exclusively by japanese dealers. Ergo, you will have to import them.
The ones suited for Stax amps and other small appliances aren't that bulky.
I hope you can get this problem solved.
I hope so too.

To be honest, I think this is such a common problem, but nobody seems to have a straightforward answer backed with some explanation. Some people say that it's fine to use 100V in 120V, some provide recommendation without some basic explanation as backup, for beginners like myself.

Anyways, I'll go with a cheap power supply as recommended to me earlier. However, I will take a picture of the back panel of the SRM-252 and email it to the vendor, and ask whether the power supply will work, just to be safe.

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #1,094 of 1,163
I was about to give you a thumbs up, but the like feature is removed from head-fi? lol.

That's very interesting about the pads. I got the mount, not the pads, https://socas3d.com/headphonemods/socas-padmod-for-stax-l300-l500-l700?category=STAX SR-L300/L500/L700

I thought about this issue briefly as well. To me, having round pads is more sensible, as I'm afraid of sound leakage (and thereby sound alteration) if the pads are in a square shape.
i bought those adaptors with brainwavz pads and didnt enjoy them after a bit of testing, it sits wrong on my head , especially with the original headband and then the sound signature is kinda wrong , muffled , however again others like it.
The original sound signature is much better but my ears where touching the grill, heating and the pads where toooo thin and almost hurting me.

Hopefully after getting the Vesper pads 20mm (i put the full specs earlier) and the more expensive sr-l700 headband, i just found bliss end game headphones .

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #1,095 of 1,163
I hope so too.

To be honest, I think this is such a common problem, but nobody seems to have a straightforward answer backed with some explanation. Some people say that it's fine to use 100V in 120V, some provide recommendation without some basic explanation as backup, for beginners like myself.

Anyways, I'll go with a cheap power supply as recommended to me earlier. However, I will take a picture of the back panel of the SRM-252 and email it to the vendor, and ask whether the power supply will work, just to be safe.
Some equipment have multi voltage PSU. The Playstation since the 3 comes to mind.
Others have a voltage selector, one mode supports 100-130v, the other 220-240v. A lot of desktop PC PSUs are like that. Sometimes the selector is covered by a sticker so it's not bumped or moved by accident to the other voltage. If you are lucky, the PSU will short circuit before dealing any damage to the internal components. Happened to a friend, everything else functioned alright, but the PSU was toasted.

In my case, I really hope that the step down converted doesn't get "lost" or impounded at my country's customs.
It happened to me before when I purchased a Schiit Magni 2 Uber amp to complete my Uber Stack, I did it via a PC parts importer. They gave me a generic wall wart that didn't work with the amp. I had to use the Modi wall wart in the Magni, and the generic wall wart on the Modi. It actually worked alright, but wasn't ideal. I had to buy a Schiit wall wart via an audio equipment importer.
For audio equipment I only trust importers and dealers specialized on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back