Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #1,036 of 1,163
I have noticed a bit of clipping with my 252S - could you guys lean me over to an upgraded energizer besides the 353x? Or is that the one to get?
The older SRM-323S should be a bit better for less money if you can find it as it uses CCS (constant current source) for more power.

Jan 16, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #1,037 of 1,163
Hi guys

I bought a pair of sr-l300 and so far im really mitigated by the experience, the most disturbing part for me are the pads. They press on my jaw/joint due to the clamping force and i cant use them for more then 30 minutes without getting bored of feeling them so i go back to my hd650 as i just put those and go on with my work/duties.
On top of that ears touching the grills is also extremly disturbing.

I tried to reduce the clamping force by putting them around several books , and while it helps a bit it is definitively not satisfying. What would be the best alternate pads ?

I already ordered Socas mods but the associated brainwavz pads takes forever to come. Do you think those will help in that regards without loosing that nice clarity on mids and treble ?

If there isnt any alternative i m thinking of shipping them back while i can.

Best Regards

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #1,038 of 1,163
Hi guys

I bought a pair of sr-l300 and so far im really mitigated by the experience, the most disturbing part for me are the pads. They press on my jaw/joint due to the clamping force and i cant use them for more then 30 minutes without getting bored of feeling them so i go back to my hd650 as i just put those and go on with my work/duties.

I tried to reduce the clamping force by putting them around several books , and while it helps a bit it is definitively not satisfying. What would be the best alternate pads ?

I already ordered Socas mods but the associated brainwavz pads takes forever to come. Do you think those will help in that regards without loosing that nice clarity on mids and treble ?

Best Regards
The padmod will reduce the soundstage because the adapters reduce the surface area of the headphone driver to allow for the pads with a smaller circumference. Most pads will also reduce the treble, therefore clarity as well but it can be good if you're into a darker sound. Experiment with several types of pads both velour and hybrid to see which sound you like because the pads make all the difference in sound. All earpads with adapter will also increase the clamping force as most aftermarket pads are thicker than used on Stax, but at least if you get the memory foam ones from the likes of Brainwavz, they will squish a little after a few seconds of use.

A pair of 3mm spacers should take your ears off the drivers and actually improve the soundstage keeping all else good in check - but also increase clamping force. My favorites were the Brainwavz PU / velour hybrid shown on part of this thread.

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #1,039 of 1,163
The padmod will reduce the soundstage because the adapters reduce the surface area of the headphone driver to allow for the pads with a smaller circumference. Most pads will also reduce the treble, therefore clarity as well but it can be good if you're into a darker sound. Experiment with several types of pads both velour and hybrid to see which sound you like because the pads make all the difference in sound. All earpads with adapter will also increase the clamping force as most aftermarket pads are thicker than used on Stax, but at least if you get the memory foam ones from the likes of Brainwavz, they will squish a little after a few seconds of use.

A pair of 3mm spacers should take your ears off the drivers and actually improve the soundstage keeping all else good in check - but also increase clamping force. My favorites were the Brainwavz PU / velour hybrid shown on part of this thread.
Thanks for answer , i actually read your post and ordered the brainwavz pad you recommended, i tought about buying the sr-l700 pads but i saw in z-review that even with those he had to ask socas3d to print him thin spacers to prevent his ear from touching the grill.

You seems to enjoy those a lot and based on some of your post even use them for Movies , ... you are not bothered by their comfort for long sessions ?
I really dig the Sound Signature but those pads and grill are like a real bad discovery for me :frowning2: Maybe just my head is too big dunno.

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #1,040 of 1,163
Hi guys

Best Regards

As much as I loved my L300s, I could not resolve the comfort issues you mentioned. Had the socas adapter as well with brainwavz pads, but still didn't feel right on the head, while having to compromising on sound (felt they lost a little of the magic they had ootb). Ended up selling them.

Still hoping one day to get that sound in a comfortable setup!

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #1,042 of 1,163
You can get the lamb skin earpads from Vespa Audio and get the spacer mod from Socas to resolve your issue.
nice will try that and abandonned the brainwavz i guess, which one would you recommend :

Stax Lambda custom handcrafted real leather plus alcantara memory foam perforated earpads
or
Slax L300 custom hancrafted burgundy acantara earpads cushions with memory foam
or another model

I need the 6mm spacers right ?

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #1,043 of 1,163
I'm using memory foam, cool gel and lambskin
Because 1 it super soft, 2 it last a lot lot longer than that stupid alcantara crap.
After around 4-5 years it starts to flake off black bits.
I'm using the 6mm spacer with the ear pads.

Jan 18, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #1,044 of 1,163
Hi i received quote from Vesper and they allowded me to post here , here are the options :

Handcrafted custom earpads, whole leather, hybrid or whole microsuede(vegan), not angled, regular foam, Payment via paypal (goods/services type).
You can order standart or any custom thickness/angle/opening.
We offer:
Real whole grain leather - black, emerald ink, dark-grey, ripe cherry, red, coral, dark brown, brown, orange, blue, dark blue, beige, purple, and perforated(not through) black - no extra.
Alcantara - black extra, anthracite black
Perforated\regular black microsuede - no extra,
Brown, grey, blue, beige, burgundy microsuede - no extra
Black longpiled microsuede (extrasoft) - no extra
Real black suede (chamois)
Velour - black, brown, grey, pastel green - no extra
Memory foam
Natural latex(20 mm. thick only)
Angled pads
Additional gel cooling
Air tracked mail
Other types - need to know your location.

You will need plastic frames from stock pads in order to mount new pads, we will instruct you on how to perforate flanges.

They dont have lambskin but chevreau that i guess is what you mean.

So i will go with your recommendations

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #1,048 of 1,163
Yes they sell the SR-L700 separately. I bought it for my L300 LE after I broke it accidentally. The same headband is used in the L300 and the LE.

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #1,049 of 1,163
Yes they sell the SR-L700 separately. I bought it for my L300 LE after I broke it accidentally. The same headband is used in the L300 and the LE.
And besides the leather/build quality, the comfort (clamp force / position) is improved as well with that headband ?
I know this is head size related , but still asking :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back