STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Feb 4, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #1,186 of 1,367
The 009s is soo much better that the KSE 1200, but when there's noise in the house I go with the KSE. I use the dust cover at all times when not listening to 009s. With KSE, the openings are so small and I am using the yellow foam tips which have a kind of mesh so I don't think (hope) is a big issue.I have a L700mkII which doesn't get much use and it stays mainly in a closet with the rest of the headphones, on a STAX stand with the dust cover on. Too lazy to use the boxes.IMG_5666.jpeg
I use the same dust covers for the 009 and 009S and they seem to work great and they are cheap.

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #1,187 of 1,367
I suppose something else that came out of this was, I bought a new download. In the What HiFi 009s review there was mention of a John Paul Jones (ex Led Zep) album called Zooma. I bought that. I am rechecking the other solo album he did called The Thunderchief. Only liked the first half of it, first time I listened.

Zooma - YouTube

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #1,188 of 1,367
I am not sure that the D50 will have enough power for the 007 even my 727 do not justify the 007 at all and it perform poorly with it compare to the BHSE and Carbon, if you are planning to keep your STAX D50 DACAMP combo you should be better of getting the SR009 or the SR009S, for me and by measurement both are very similar headphone but the 009S are smooth and well tame compare to the 009 (a bit more hot on treble but well extended). At the end of the day its all depends on your music preference, so why don't just go to a AD and test out the new 007Mk2.9 and the 009S before deciding? Although STAX can sound quite different between versions, it should provide a better idea then just words from us.

However, the below is from a pm I wrote to a fellow a months ago regarding my opinion comparing the 007 and 009 non S using the KGSShv Carbon.

SR-007MK1 vs 009
Detail : 009
The 009 are at least 5-10% more detail than the 007Mk1, the 007Mk1 can come very close but because of its smaller soundstage and the better separation of instrument brings out the texture in the 009 more than the 007Mk1, so I will say 009 is better in detail.)

Treble: 007Mk1?but some may prefer 009
The 007Mk1 treble tend to be smooth and neutral, where 009 is slightly spiky, so I guess some people will prefer the 009 brings out the vocal more up front but some might prefer 007 since is not as artificial.)

Midrange: 007Mk1 is more smooth/warmth, but 009 is more clear/cold
I guess most people like smooth sound right?

Transient: 009 for sure

Bass: 007Mk1 for sure

Need no introduction the 007Mk1 is famous for its bass, better in detail and extension compare to the 009.
The best electrostatic bass can you can get for your money. which can compare to bass tight planers.

Soundstage: 009
The 009 have a bigger soundstage.

Instrument Separation : 009
The 009 have wider imaging which separate the instrument further and brings out the texture of each instrument due to bigger diaphragm compare to 007Mk1.

Speed: Draw
Both are very fast headphone but I guess 009 is a hair faster, it doesn't really matter because is too fast which my ears cant catch up, I think even my Focal Utopia is fast enough. So speed doesn't actually matter that much.

4:3 (SR009 wins the day for me)

Thanks and I totally agree with your findings. I'd only add that 007 has better mid texture than 009. After receiving my SR009S and comparing them to each other since 1 week, I think that 007 comes very close to 009S in terms of detail, sometimes slightly surpasses it(sometimes I feel like because 007 has better damped drivers, mids are a bit better textured). Overall though, 009S is slightly more detailed.

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,189 of 1,367
Received my SR009S last week, and finally got to hear it two days ago on my new KGST from Mjolnir. There is a channel imbalance; right is about 5db louder. If I turn the knob all the way to the lowest levels, only the right side works - but it also continues at the higher volumes. Not sure if it's the amp or the headphones, but my take is its the headphones.
Anyway, from what I can tell, they are a fantastic headphone. Hopefully headamp will be able to resolve the issue for me.

IMG_6710.jpg
IMG_6704.jpg

Feb 6, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #1,190 of 1,367
If it is the headphones introducing channel imbalance, it's the first I've heard of (to my recollection). Usually it's the amp (or the potentiometer in the amp).

Feb 6, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #1,191 of 1,367
If it is the headphones introducing channel imbalance, it's the first I've heard of (to my recollection). Usually it's the amp (or the potentiometer in the amp).
Really?

My first ever Stax purchase a 2018 SR007 had a massive channel imbalance from new. My dealer replaced that pair. Had to wait a month or so.

SR009s are notorious for this issue cropping up. I've heard of a customer on his 4th replacement pair of 009s.

My SR009S is ok so far ( 3 weeks of ownership ) hopefully it stays that way.

Feb 6, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,193 of 1,367
Really?

My first ever Stax purchase a 2018 SR007 had a massive channel imbalance from new. My dealer replaced that pair. Had to wait a month or so.

SR009s are notorious for this issue cropping up. I've heard of a customer on his 4th replacement pair of 009s.

My SR009S is ok so far ( 3 weeks of ownership ) hopefully it stays that way.
Doh......yes I did completely forget about Stax imbalance issue. I stand corrected. Glad I qualified my post with a "to my recollection" :D.

Personally I've not had any experience with channel imbalance with my SR-009 & my SR-007Mk1 (touch wood that I don't after 7-8 yrs of ownership, nor with any of my planars/dynamics - which was what I had in mind when I wrote the earlier post.

Feb 6, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #1,194 of 1,367
Sr009S have gone back to HeadAmp for Justin to confirm it's the unit/replace. Overall, really impressed with them though. I was able to adjust the imbalance using a software eq, it was about 2-5db different on each side. My concern is that 1) I may be using them with vinyl at some point and won't have that luxury 2) an imbalance might be a sign of a bigger issue (faulty wiring or dying driver).

My Hp-2i does hold up very well, but is not near the same resolution or speed. I will make a detailed review once I'm better acquainted with the Stax titled "1989 vs 2018". Considering buying an GSX or APEX Teton to make the comparison more fair.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #1,196 of 1,367
I just ordered the Stax SR-007. To the lucky souls who own both - do I miss out on a lot in comparison to the sr-009s?

I used to own the 007. The sr009S is significantly more detailed and open sounding. The sr007 has a darker tone, and to me was a bit boring. There were times when I was impressed by it but overall, it wasn't fun. However, I only had a KGSS (original) at the time, and perhaps things would have been different if I had a KGST like I do now.

That said, the Sr009S is a bit hot on the high end (even if it is a click better than the sr009 in that regard). Many well regarded critics feel that the sr007 is the more enjoyable headphone when you graduate to the T2/BHSE/Megatron world since it really need a lot of juice to sparkle. I will likely pick up a sr007 again once I have such a credential in my arsenal.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #1,197 of 1,367
not posted here for awhile and i have not owned headphones for almost 10 years; but just jumped back in today with new SR-009S's arriving and the MSB Select Headphone amplifier i just purchased. i owned very early 009's and a BHSE in 2012, before i sold it fund amp and speaker upgrades. listened tonight briefly, everything warming up and breaking in. sounded very nice. the Select Headphone amplifier does integrate really nicely with it's intended dac companion, my MSB Select II dac. happy to have a headphone rig again and re-join the head-fi and Stax community.:relaxed:

you can see the headphone gear i use to own 10 years ago in my out-of-date signature from before, which i will update soon.

009MSB-1 (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #1,199 of 1,367
Ah, we need to see more pictures of the MSB Select please.

it's a bit of a pain to remove it from it's spot on the rack for more pictures. at some point when i do that i'll take more pics and post them. here is a link to the MSB website of this unit, even in that same color silver with more views.

MSB Select Headphone Amplifier in Silver

owners manual link for the amp

and there is a link in my signature for pics of my system, although those have not yet been updated with the Select amp.,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back