STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Jun 21, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #241 of 1,367
The T8000 is and will be the very Stax current production top amplifiers, but it is still behind Stax Original T2 in both design technicality and performances

So, is this something that hasn't been mentioned many times already?

I would add though that is naming is definitely a bit confusing in that regard, although clever, because it associates with a higher-end product. This is more in the realm of the SRM-T1W (which, coincidentally uses a very similar casework)

If they made this TOL Stax amp for 'enthusiasts' they could have probably squeezed it in a 727 case form factor, skip that expansion slot and use the same parts (so no fancy transformer or external switch, but if the rest of the PSU is like that, probably does that matter that much anyway)
And it might have cost only like 1.5 times the price of a 727.

The funny thing about it is that the backlash on that might have been fairly similar, (oh it is not enough a departure from their existing amps, still overpriced, etc.) and all the profit would have been mostly eaten up by the development cost as well, questioning why they did it in the first place.
Maybe there will be more disappointments with the price/performance ratio for other future products, because they would like to see some more profit (but that's sort of a necessity for future expansion).

Back on topic, I am a little surprised that although a handful of SR-009S sets have already reached their owners, the impressions are fairly scarce but we shall hopefully read more of them in a few days time.

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #242 of 1,367
I think, and it's just a guess from his word choice, but I believe the reason Whitigir is using JRiver MC is because it has almost an endless array of options about how to connect it, how to process audio, and how to output it. And beyond that, it has crazy integration with other services via VST. From here you can integrate other software audio synthesizer and effect plugins with JRiver's library. VST allows using DSP to simulate room correction, head profiles, and many other options.

That's my guess, and because you recommended Roon against it without picking up on that, can I also guess you're not too familiar with JRiver's capabilities? Not in a bad way, but maybe this is an opportunity for you to look into something someone else enjoys?

By the way, I think it's proper to recommend the Mjolnir KGST over the T8000, based on the criteria that was stated for picking the T8000. Headphones are a journey and respect and whatever, but I think it's all good to be throwing recommendations out there ASAP. If I were in that situation, I'd be very happy to hear what Astrostar said.

Yes, very true for everything you said. I am also waiting on my SR009S to arrive, but doesn’t seem it will come anytime soon. I know a couple friends who are waiting on it to possibly arrive this weekends, and I have yet to known anyone to have it as of today yet. I am so curious about what it can do

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #243 of 1,367
It`s here.

Out of Box, first impression
009S is slightly softer in upper mid tone and surprise surprise less bass tone.
Hope this will change.:angry:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #244 of 1,367
@mulveling....where's yours? I so want to pay you a visit :)

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #245 of 1,367
Out of Box, first impression
009S is slightly softer in upper mid tone and surprise surprise less bass tone.
Hope this will change.:angry:
It is possible that the updated earpads are sealing stronger than before, which tightens the bass even further (but that wouldn't be a welcome change)
Either that or it is simply down to the transducers themselves.
Easy enough to verify with exchanging the earpads, although it wouldn't be the first thing that I'd do with a brand new set...

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #246 of 1,367
Interesting, wasn't expecting less bass. I wonder if they were going for a HiFiMan HE1000 type sound which is nice but not my preference.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #250 of 1,367
Spritzer is saying the same thing about the bass. Pad mods here we come!

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #252 of 1,367
> 009S reputation gets decimated by early "bass-light" impressions
> Buy up all the early adopters' 009S for big discounts
> Discover teh bass magically "turns on" at hour 701. New best headphone eva.
> Profit!
2018 gonna be another great year! :D

Don’t forget that Stax quoted their headphones need 18 years of burn-in LOL! Maybe the 009 is the last good real Stax ? Who knows ?

Mine is not shipped yet, but I may just as well be cancelling it roflmao!

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #253 of 1,367
> 009S reputation gets decimated by early "bass-light" impressions
> Buy up all the early adopters' 009S for big discounts
> Discover teh bass magically "turns on" at hour 701. New best headphone eva.
> Profit!
2018 gonna be another great year! :D

Oh, yeah....I'm about to offer about 3.5K for your pair. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back