STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Jun 15, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #226 of 1,367
I went to yodobashi in akihabara. I guess they ran out. I ended up ordering from Justin since it comes with warranty for the us. (head amp)
You won’t be disappointed. It’s the only other Stax headphone on my list of things to acquire.

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #227 of 1,367
I can't do it now but later I will toward the end of the year.

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #230 of 1,367
Thanks! I am going crazy for Stax :D

My transport is LPS and Dedicated PC I7-8700, that is built around I2S output with passive cooling (0 fans anywhere ) and independent power input for I2S bridge (Pinkfaun+OXCO). NVME for storage and windows 10-64 bits, running J-River. It boots into Windows OS in 15 seconds...LoL!

I apologize for the off-topic'ness of this, but can you share whether the Pinkfaun dedicated PCIe to I2s card is still limited to DSD64, if it can even output DSD at all? I talked with them about this card 2-3 years ago, but that was a limitation at the time. If you don't have any rock solid info, I'm still very happy to hear your feedback. And I didn't PM or start a separate topic because this info should be on the interwebs somwesome~

The 009S is shaping up very interestingly... And there's even an IC foster a very well built DIY-T2 in the classifieds right this very moment :wink:

If only I had $16,000 and a US shipping address!

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #231 of 1,367
I apologize for the off-topic'ness of this, but can you share whether the Pinkfaun dedicated PCIe to I2s card is still limited to DSD64, if it can even output DSD at all? I talked with them about this card 2-3 years ago, but that was a limitation at the time. If you don't have any rock solid info, I'm still very happy to hear your feedback. And I didn't PM or start a separate topic because this info should be on the interwebs somwesome~

The 009S is shaping up very interestingly... And there's even an IC foster a very well built DIY-T2 in the classifieds right this very moment :wink:

If only I had $16,000 and a US shipping address!

Pinkfaun I2S can only do PCM up to 192Khz. It is caused by the Chip that they are using, I can’t pull it off the top of my head right now. If you had a chance to snap that T2, do it before it have gone into extinction :D

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #233 of 1,367
The one thing I do not get, why did SR009 win Gold champion award back in it year, and now Sr009S is only Silver award ? What makes it rack in different award ? What is more interesting is that KSE1500 is the gold award this year. I don’t mind, because it is a complete system, where as SR009 was paired out of T8000, and I am sure BHSE can get further. Let alone a T2 :D

*i am shaking with excitements*. Doesn’t seem I will get it anytime soon though

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #234 of 1,367
Pinkfaun I2S can only do PCM up to 192Khz. It is caused by the Chip that they are using, I can’t pull it off the top of my head right now. If you had a chance to snap that T2, do it before it have gone into extinction :D

I checked back through my emails with Jord at Pinkfaun and the chip is a C-Media one. It supports PCM up to 24/192, DXD, and unknown bitrates of DSD over PCM (DoP). Then later, Jord confirmed that on Arch Linux he has output native DSD64, but that was the limit.

As much as I trust Pinkfaun's direct PCIe->I2s, I feel they'v been passed by the DDC boxes that do USB->I2s DSD512 now. I've been in touch with Jord off and on for over 3 years on this topic, but I do wholeheartedly believe in their OCXO clocks and upgrade mods. I'm also working on a solution very similar to yours :-D

Anyway, back on the topic of the 009S, you also have a DIY T2 and I was wondering what your plans are for the 009S? And what's your target signature; I mean, do you fall more into the 007 or 009 camp?

And for myself, is there a reason that not many/anyone replaces Stax cables with "better" aftermarket ones, as is common with basically all non-Stax headphones and speakers?

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #235 of 1,367
I checked back through my emails with Jord at Pinkfaun and the chip is a C-Media one. It supports PCM up to 24/192, DXD, and unknown bitrates of DSD over PCM (DoP). Then later, Jord confirmed that on Arch Linux he has output native DSD64, but that was the limit.

As much as I trust Pinkfaun's direct PCIe->I2s, I feel they'v been passed by the DDC boxes that do USB->I2s DSD512 now. I've been in touch with Jord off and on for over 3 years on this topic, but I do wholeheartedly believe in their OCXO clocks and upgrade mods. I'm also working on a solution very similar to yours :-D

Anyway, back on the topic of the 009S, you also have a DIY T2 and I was wondering what your plans are for the 009S? And what's your target signature; I mean, do you fall more into the 007 or 009 camp?

And for myself, is there a reason that not many/anyone replaces Stax cables with "better" aftermarket ones, as is common with basically all non-Stax headphones and speakers?

1/. You are correct that they are using C-media, and it is limited at 24/192 KHz. You are also correct that the Multibit rate for DOP is never disclosed, not even those USB modules like Amanero...etc....we never known the i2s output after these modules are under what but rate or samples. We know all DAC communicate using I2S language . So, even if your source is playing Native DSD, you will have to consider what but/sample/DOP is communicating to DAC. If Linux was able to do DOP 64x, then Windows 10 shall be able to, if Asio4All or WASPI update itself ? Not sure. Right now. I can confirm that I2S is the best interface for digital music and also to get the most performances out of your DAC

2/. Yes, my T2 has some special treatments by me with silver wirings and so on. My plan on 009 and 009S ? Very simple, I always love 009, and lets see what 009S has in store. If I like it better, I would sell my 009. If it is the same or similar, I would sell 009. If it is very different, I keep both :)

3/. Ribbon cables is the reason why people can’t upgrade the cables. There are no specific cables to offer ribbons style. Why ribbons ? Because Electrostatic carry high voltage which the inductive capacitance has a big roles. Eventhough impedance characteristic should not be effecting the analog signals, using ribbon cables solves both problems, the IC and constant characteristic impedance. This matter @JimL11 will have a better answer than me as he is more knowledgeable in ES

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #236 of 1,367
Could that 009S video have had a sappier soundtrack? lol. And all that hand fiddling...yes the headphones appear to be a real tangible object that occupies space.

Looks 99% like a 009. I too am going to have to make some selling decisions when mine arrive, hopefully next week. But it's all good - either I get to enjoy a sonic upgrade (however small), or I at least got to satisfy my curiosity.

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #237 of 1,367
According to the first owner impressions, it's going in the right direction, but the differences are subtle (at least with the Stax amps), it is more in the realm of SR007 Mk1 vs SR007 Mk2 for instance.

So upgrading or paying about twice as much compared to a used pair of SR-009 originals (with the assumption that they don't develop any problems) is debatable - but the same can be said for many other things in general.

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #238 of 1,367
I actually don’t use Roon as Jriver can do too many things already

Whitigir, I would test Roon current build, it is really special on SQ plus it is a fabulous interface.

I think, and it's just a guess from his word choice, but I believe the reason Whitigir is using JRiver MC is because it has almost an endless array of options about how to connect it, how to process audio, and how to output it. And beyond that, it has crazy integration with other services via VST. From here you can integrate other software audio synthesizer and effect plugins with JRiver's library. VST allows using DSP to simulate room correction, head profiles, and many other options.

That's my guess, and because you recommended Roon against it without picking up on that, can I also guess you're not too familiar with JRiver's capabilities? Not in a bad way, but maybe this is an opportunity for you to look into something someone else enjoys?

By the way, I think it's proper to recommend the Mjolnir KGST over the T8000, based on the criteria that was stated for picking the T8000. Headphones are a journey and respect and whatever, but I think it's all good to be throwing recommendations out there ASAP. If I were in that situation, I'd be very happy to hear what Astrostar said.

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #239 of 1,367
By the way, I think it's proper to recommend the Mjolnir KGST over the T8000, based on the criteria that was stated for picking the T8000. Headphones are a journey and respect and whatever, but I think it's all good to be throwing recommendations out there ASAP. If I were in that situation, I'd be very happy to hear what Astrostar said.

One is solid-state input with tube output with a regulated PSU and the other is in tube input solid-state output. One is warmer the other is more analytical (although probably softer, because of the inferior power). They won't sound the same and you can't really change the tubes either.

The T8000 (with this price sticker) isn't really intended for readers of these forums. It is for people who go to their local Stax distributor, sit down to have a listen maybe compare with other Stax amps and say "this sounds good to me, it is pricey but I'll take it"
Although there are big limitations for the upcoming expansion card as well in terms of size and power draw, it might still achieve the same mid-fi level sound (but, what is already there can't be improved upon, sadly).

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #240 of 1,367
One is solid-state input with tube output with a regulated PSU and the other is in tube input solid-state output. One is warmer the other is more analytical (although probably softer, because of the inferior power). They won't sound the same and you can't really change the tubes either.

The T8000 (with this price sticker) isn't really intended for readers of these forums. It is for people who go to their local Stax distributor, sit down to have a listen maybe compare with other Stax amps and say "this sounds good to me, it is pricey but I'll take it"
Although there are big limitations for the upcoming expansion card as well in terms of size and power draw, it might still achieve the same mid-fi level sound (but, what is already there can't be improved upon, sadly).

The T8000 is and will be the very Stax current production top amplifiers, but it is still behind Stax Original T2 in both design technicality and performances

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back