STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Apr 26, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #54 of 1,367
If you find the SR009 too bright for you, you can use a warmer source or interconnect to address that issues. In order for the SR009S to be a true successor, it needs to do other things better than the SR009 such as resolvability, imaging, and sense of soundstage. Tonality is important but one can do a lot to address it.

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #56 of 1,367
If you find the SR009 too bright for you, you can use a warmer source or interconnect to address that issues. In order for the SR009S to be a true successor, it needs to do other things better than the SR009 such as resolvability, imaging, and sense of soundstage. Tonality is important but one can do a lot to address it.

Agree, but I would say the 009 has a character about it, a floaty etherial presentation that will be hard to radically change. The HE-1 to me was more realistic and had more body in the mids and timbre / texture was much nearer to reality IMO. I would pitch the HE-1 as my ideal, and that is my target sound now.

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #57 of 1,367
Agree, but I would say the 009 has a character about it, a floaty etherial presentation that will be hard to radically change. The HE-1 to me was more realistic and had more body in the mids and timbre / texture was much nearer to reality IMO. I would pitch the HE-1 as my ideal, and that is my target sound now.

I agree with astrostar, 009 is very wrong headphone imo.
I have been piano and horn player, so I know what real sound is.
Maybe he1 is better in this regard, but still wrong headphone system imo.
Manufacturers can do better.

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #58 of 1,367
Good timing for Stax however. Wonder what the SR009s will do to the VOCE and Hifiman Shangri-la JR sales figure...

That's an extremely good observation!
Now they're not the newest, latest, look at me! toys, I wonder what will happen with them, I predict two things:
- Price drop to 200 argentine pesos (Jr started as an 8k headphone + amp package, Headamp has the separate headphone for 5k, and now Woo Audio for 4k)
- New V2 versions at twice the price to create a false perception of superiority only based in a price increase for both the Mrspeakers and the Hifiman.

I like the move of not discontinuing the original SR-009 from their lineup. because the bright sound club can still use the 009 and don't feel that they lose anything, and, if the new headphone is really smooth and musical and a real upgrade from the 007, the smooth sound club can upgrade to the new headphone without regrets...everyone happy!

Interesting times :)

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #59 of 1,367
Fang is probably having a bad day with the SR009S news. I predict that they won't sell well period and great timing for Stax to release the SR009. Everyone knows that Stax is pure quality and not just another wanna be. I feel bad for tDan but his phones is quite a bit cheaper.

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #60 of 1,367
Fang is probably having a bad day with the SR009S news. I predict that they won't sell well period and great timing for Stax to release the SR009. Everyone knows that Stax is pure quality and not just another wanna be. I feel bad for tDan but his phones is quite a bit cheaper.

Yup, 100% agree!
From a business perspective, I love the fact that Stax walks at it's own pace, without being disturbed by what others are doing. Of course they know it, but they don't show even the slightest amount of concern about it. This makes a true distinction between market leader and wanna be, opportunist newcomer competitor.
Also, the fact that the original 009 is still in production, and already has an 8 years lifespan, makes the headphones a good investiment and not a flavour of the month, impulse purchase. Aggresive online marketing can't compete with that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back