STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Apr 26, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #61 of 1,367
Just because it's not being discontinued it's still not a good investment (actually, it would be better if it was actually discontinued if it better in some ways than then S version it would hold its value)

Maybe if it inspires you to be more creative or just work harder, etc. then it may be a good investment in a sort of indirect way. But if you, let's say bought an SR-Omega instead...well... :)

On the other hand, if you got a good second-hand pair from Japan for 2000$ (or even less)
That's not a bad investment over its new price, it will hold that value well :)

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #62 of 1,367
Yup, 100% agree!
From a business perspective, I love the fact that Stax walks at it's own pace, without being disturbed by what others are doing. Of course they know it, but they don't show even the slightest amount of concern about it. This makes a true distinction between market leader and wanna be, opportunist newcomer competitor.
Also, the fact that the original 009 is still in production, and already has an 8 years lifespan, makes the headphones a good investiment and not a flavour of the month, impulse purchase. Aggresive online marketing can't compete with that :)

And unlike Hifiman who had let the cat of the bag almost a year ago..but it wasn't available to purchase until recently. Opportunity miss by Hifiman. Strangely, I don't feel bad for them even one bit.

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #63 of 1,367
Just because it's not being discontinued it's still not a good investment (actually, it would be better if it was actually discontinued if it better in some ways than then S version it would hold its value)

Maybe if it inspires you to be more creative or just work harder, etc. then it may be a good investment in a sort of indirect way. But if you, let's say bought an SR-Omega instead...well... :)

On the other hand, if you got a good second-hand pair from Japan for 2000$ (or even less)
That's not a bad investment over its new price, it will hold that value well :)

That's a very good point, I was referring to the fact that, some people like the type of sound of the 009, and the new model seems to be a departure from that sound. The large lifespan does not induce to "upgraditis" in the same way as a new successor each year, that's more or less what I wanted to say with that.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #65 of 1,367
I totally agree with @MacedonianHero and @purk about the 009S perspective. Rounder edges or smoother definitions just made me lose interest in the 009S. I was looking for “soundstage”, but doesn’t seem the 009S is a successor, rather it is an alternative in sound signature. I went through half the article and thinking to myself that the 009S was probably made for Solid State like the Carbon, and Voila, it was tuned based on T8000, which is solidstate output and tubes input.

In my opinion, if 009 is too bright for you, you can do something else. I did tune down my Carbon Current as one way to tune it to my liking, but ultimately I opted for Tubes amp, and nothing best it from a T2 amplifier. Then there were even further changes to be had (XLR interconect, USB cables, Tubes, DAC). At this point, every little changes will be so revealing on this system, and that 009 is truly shining.

This is however a good news for people who only look to enjoy Stax with Solid State Amps such as Carbon, and the advantages of Solid State. It used to be only 007 MKI on the throne, now it seem 009S May be side to side, or even make itself to be King and 007 MKI to be queen LoL

Whatever, congratulation to Stax!

***also good news to people who adore T8000*** given that 009S seem to really be based it tuning from T8000, Sir Dr.Kevin Gilmore released T8000DR which stands for Done Right, and even Sandwhich which is Tubes output stages as well.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #66 of 1,367
The Hifiman Shangri-la Jr. Is a horrible flimsy clumsy build by Hifiman yet again. Its a god damn shame how they can keep on making horrible high-end builds like these. Susvara sounds great but bad build, Jr sounds great and again bad build What.

What is up with their builds?! :rage:

Looking at my JADE and holding them is a nightmare. But listening to them is like nirvana. Absolutely crazy.

Staxs has no competition so far. No way Hifiman can be on the same topic as Staxs!

Now if the little bridie is correct Sennhesier HE60 successor is around the corner and that will be a real battle. If the rumor is true.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #68 of 1,367
Please, note that the "smoother" description is based in a very sloppy google translation from a japanese article, which is based in a very short audition...the new 009S could perfectly be more resolving and detailed than the original 009 while being smoother at the same time, both qualities are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #69 of 1,367
I totally agree with @MacedonianHero and @purk about the 009S perspective. Rounder edges or smoother definitions just made me lose interest in the 009S.

You guys are taking a lot from a single review of a pre-production model. "Smooth" was of course not the word used. Perhaps a Japanese literate person can tell us if that is a good translation? It is one of those audiophile words that have a rather unclear meaning. When I use it, I mean that the frequency response is not spiky. When something is overly smooth, it could sound a bit lifeless. You seem to take it to mean that it is rolled off. I'd like to see a few impressions of the production version before I take any of this seriously. I'm always suspicious of people who hear the sonic equivalent of a physical change i.e. smoothing the holes results in smooth sound. Maybe. Or maybe he just has it in his head from having just heard all about the design before listening.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #70 of 1,367
The Hifiman Shangri-la Jr. Is a horrible flimsy clumsy build by Hifiman yet again. Its a god damn shame how they can keep on making horrible high-end builds like these. Susvara sounds great but bad build, Jr sounds great and again bad build What.

Huh. I tried them at NY CanJam and did not notice any build issues. Admittedly, I did not take a very close look. What issues do you see?

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #71 of 1,367
Huh. I tried them at NY CanJam and did not notice any build issues. Admittedly, I did not take a very close look. What issues do you see?

Felt like a susvara again. Cheap for the price, easily drop and break and weak joints etch etch.

Edit: Sundara is an excellent build edition for Hifiman. Strange that a low-tier headphone has better build.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #72 of 1,367
You guys are taking a lot from a single review of a pre-production model. "Smooth" was of course not the word used. Perhaps a Japanese literate person can tell us if that is a good translation? It is one of those audiophile words that have a rather unclear meaning. When I use it, I mean that the frequency response is not spiky. When something is overly smooth, it could sound a bit lifeless. You seem to take it to mean that it is rolled off. I'd like to see a few impressions of the production version before I take any of this seriously. I'm always suspicious of people who hear the sonic equivalent of a physical change i.e. smoothing the holes results in smooth sound. Maybe. Or maybe he just has it in his head from having just heard all about the design before listening.

All I am trying to say is you can do a lot to change the tonality of the headphones. Just like you, I want the SR009S to be a clear upgrade over the SR009 classic in all sonic departments. I expect more than a change in tonality from Stax that's all. I am a Stax fan and the SR009S is a really welcome news.

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #74 of 1,367
I agree with astrostar, 009 is very wrong headphone imo.
I have been piano and horn player, so I know what real sound is.
Maybe he1 is better in this regard, but still wrong headphone system imo.
Manufacturers can do better.

You heard the HE-1? It is very un-electrostatic sound if there is such a thing. It sounds more like a big Planar HP with more detail. I believe it is the best sounding HP I have heard to date, and it is very different to the 007 or 009. Not saying which is best, only I found my 'target' with the HE-1 and went Planars after that. Interested about the 009s though. BUT as usual it is left to the owner to then go and find a KG amp to drive them well (correctly?). If Stax was to do this correctly, they would build an amp as good as the top KG units, then truly offer a top system staying within the brand. Now that would get my respect....

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #75 of 1,367
It is not easy to build a good amp like KG amps, why ? Because people don’t pay up, period. It is not that Stax can not do it, it is “cheap people” who can not pay for it.

Take Mjolnir Products for example, use Carbon build for a reference point, and now multiply the MSRP by 2.5X. That would be how much Stax have to price it to sell. Do you think people would pay for it ? They keep crying about KG amp pricing already.

I am still amazed at the price of BHSE as a mass production. I guess because it is not Stax, and Stax understands this very well. That is why they are very enthusiast about DIY people.

Take the T2 for example, being their best built amplifiers, and even given how expensive for the original T2, and how many times people keep on saying it is the best Stax amp, cheap people still can’t afford it. Even newer productions which is an improved version by KG or further with newer in production parts from Kerry, cheap people still can not pay up for it.

Think about how much the original T2 cost back in the day, even so, it was watered down and it leads to longevity and reliability problems to cut back production cost, and people still couldn’t afford it. It almost Bankrupt Stax.

It is easier for them to sit on their butts and judges, rather than working hard and paying up to the products that fully deserve it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back