STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Jul 17, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #916 of 1,367
I am also a lucky guy. My wife came w me to Tokyo to buy sr9s and allowed me to buy Wilson Sabrinas, dcs Rossini and Nagra 300i this year: :)
You are indeed lucky guy.

My wife drive BMW 530 while I drive Mazda CX9 which works better for landscape photographer with more room for photography gear and 4 wheel drive.

I had got some awards from Landscape Photography contest.

I had spent more money on audio gear while my wife is interested in just upscale car (not fancy sports car).

About 10 years ago, I used to drive Infiniti G35 which is a pretty nice sports car.

But if I drive sports car, I tend to get speeding ticket, thus I had given up on it.

I have no fantasy about sports car any more.

Now it may be fair game.

I also do house cleaning using vacuum in addition to some kitchen cleaning.

My wife clean kitchen once a week since my work on kitchen is not up to her standard

Jul 17, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #919 of 1,367
Considering the latest posts… Should we start a new thread: "My Audio Gear and My Wife"?

That could turn dirty real quick (I hope)...

Perhaps eventually resulting in some equipment swapping.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #920 of 1,367
Sorry to break topic. Have any of you heard or heard anything about Vincent Audio's SA-32 preamp? I am looking to put a tube preamp into my Carbon and Terminator setup.
I recommend you to try good power cables and XLR interconnect on your Carbon Amp rather than adding pre amp on it.

Synergistic Blue power cable and Foundation interconnects give faster sound with more air.

Analysis Plus power cable and interconnect will give more neutral and balanced sound.

I have both Synergistic Blue and Analysis Plus cables.

I prefer Synergistic Blue to Analysis Plus with more air and clarity.

But other people may favor Analysis Plus.

They cost around 600$ each.

You may contact Cable company to audition both Synergistic Blue and Analysis Plus cables with your system.

www.fatwyre.com

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #921 of 1,367
I recommend you to try good power cables and XLR interconnect on your Carbon Amp rather than adding pre amp on it.

Synergistic Blue power cable and Foundation interconnects give faster sound with more air.

Analysis Plus power cable and interconnect will give more neutral and balanced sound.

I have both Synergistic Blue and Analysis Plus cables.

I prefer Synergistic Blue to Analysis Plus with more air and clarity.

But other people may favor Analysis Plus.

They cost around 600$ each.

You may contact Cable company to audition both Synergistic Blue and Analysis Plus cables with your system.

www.fatwyre.com
Have you tried the Shunyata Venom HC white powah cables? Said to beat any power cable under $500

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #922 of 1,367
Have you tried the Shunyata Venom HC white powah cables? Said to beat any power cable under $500
Actually no.

But I am happy with Synergistic Blue power cables in my system with fast and transparent sound.

Choice of cable is dependent on system and personal taste.

Thus it is best to audition them with your system.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #923 of 1,367
I used to use Analysis Plus power cables on Carbon headphone amp.

Also Analysis Plus XLR cable between Dave and Carbon amp.

I had been happy with balanced sound with good bass and dynamics.

The only thing missing was some air, although it did not sound closed in but too polite to my taste.

On Friday, I had replaced Analysis Plus power cables with Synergistic Blue and then the it sound slightly more detailed and nuanced with tighter bass.

Then I replaced Analysis Plus XLR cable with Synergistic Foundation cable.

Now it sounds faster with more air.

Although it sounds pretty good with Analysis Plus cables, I am happy with the improvement brought by Synergistic cables.

I think Dave and Mscaler, Carbon, 009S is really end game combination.

I do not want more out of headphone.

Some people favor T2 over Carbon on Stax 009S, but I am happy with Carbon right now with full and tight bass.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #924 of 1,367
The thing is that once you hear the carbon, you thought it would be impossible to have something out there to be better . Heck even if you put Carbon, GG, BHSE against one another, the differences is so little, so I put them all on the same tier. But once you hear the KG-T2, you will never forget that sound :).

Anyways, doesn’t matter howmuch you invested in your gears, if you are not satisfied then it is all going to be meaningless. So as long as you are satisfied, then that is already “priceless” by itself

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #925 of 1,367
The thing is that once you hear the carbon, you thought it would be impossible to have something out there to be better . Heck even if you put Carbon, GG, BHSE against one another, the differences is so little, so I put them all on the same tier. But once you hear the KG-T2, you will never forget that sound :).

Anyways, doesn’t matter howmuch you invested in your gears, if you are not satisfied then it is all going to be meaningless. So as long as you are satisfied, then that is already “priceless” by itself
I have 100K$ 2 channel audio system which has much better dynamics, details and deeper soundstage than Stax 009S combination,.

I am happy with this Stax 009S combination as nuanced and intimate sound with decent air and dynamics.

I expect to use 60% my time on 2 channel speaker and 40% on headphone or IEM.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #926 of 1,367
I have 100K$ 2 channel audio system which has much better dynamics, details and deeper soundstage than Stax 009S combination,.

I am happy with this Stax 009S combination as nuanced and intimate sound with decent air and dynamics.

I will use 60% my time on 2 channel speaker and 40% on headphone or IEM.

Very different experiences, it is good to have both. But we all would crave for those 2 channels :wink:, so I agree with you.

Enjoy the music !

Jul 21, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #927 of 1,367
Funny how one’s tastes change over time. I built my 2 channel around a darTZeel power amp and the system isn’t too shabby. Now it all sits idle and I spend my time listening to the 009S via KGGG and a CD player. Just as detailed and all I miss is the gut thumping bass notes....

Jul 21, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #929 of 1,367

I expect to use 60% my time on 2 channel speaker and 40% on headphone or IEM.

Same here. Full blown TOTL Naim/Linn 2 channel system with 7k of records and 3k of CD's.
009S/Carbon streaming Tidal via my Linn KDS gives me immense satisfaction.

Several of us on the Naim forum (all with mega systems) also use Sony WM1Z with Utopia's/IEM's etc. for portable use and are equally blown away.
Headphones and portable gear have come a long way :)

Jul 21, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #930 of 1,367
Same here. Full blown TOTL Naim/Linn 2 channel system with 7k of records and 3k of CD's.
009S/Carbon streaming Tidal via my Linn KDS gives me immense satisfaction.

Several of us on the Naim forum (all with mega systems) also use Sony WM1Z with Utopia's/IEM's etc. for portable use and are equally blown away.
Headphones and portable gear have come a long way :)
I am listening to "The Wall" by Pink Floyd through 2 channel speaker which go down to 20 hz (Lansche 4.1).

As Stax 009s is good, it can not play "the wall" with enough dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back