Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?
Mar 26, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #753 of 928
Well, then I recommend to visit the stores in akiba with used gear (a couple of them near dyna 5555) or audio union stores: http://www.audiounion.jp/ct/search?m=used&p=1&q=&s=new_enddate&d=&option=1&order=default&genre=A5&lower_limit=150000&upper_limit=200000

Mar 26, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #755 of 928
There's only so much handholding that can be done :wink:.

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #758 of 928
@mathuatden, you may want to try to do some self research with the search button. Further more if you're in Japan (or Tokyo for that matter) there's lots more opportunities to try yourself in the stores.

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #759 of 928
Oh crap, looks like my 009s are playing up.

I have my KGSShv on all the time for 3 months, and no problem. I listened to a track just now and the left channel was almost completely off, then gradually it started coming back.

After half an hour (now) the left side is about 90% and the right normal 100%.

I have swopped over the interconnects and the left is is always down a bit. So it's the 009 I reckon. It is not imagination as the bass vibration in the frames is right down on the left side.

I wonder if I had some static charge when I picked them up? I am also wondering if it will come back to normal. I bought the 009s from Synergy UK inside 24 months, so can get a repair / replacement if I act soon.

I think I will give it a day or so see if it comes back up.

Has anyone here had the same experience, and if so, did it fix itself or was it terminal or an annoying recurring issue?

Any help would be great guys, Boo Hoo I am now very sad....

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #760 of 928

My condolences. I knew this thread existed before I bought my 009s, but the more and more I see people post, the more I want to sell this setup.
My 009 are S/N 35xx, so assumed there is less than 4000 of these 009s in the world?

This thread is big, and only perused by people that can read/write English. Thinking of all the 009s sold to non English recipients, all that data is opaque.

I'm starting to think the fail rate on these could be high (in regards to precision manufactured devices).
I see all the posts of Stax lasting 20/30 years, but those were undoubtedly manufactured with different processes over the years.

I see people put their 009s in bags, I'm not that pedantic, and use it as a daily listener. I'm wondering if these things are more to be kept in a museum so as not to fail.....

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #761 of 928

I have my KGSShv on all the time for 3 months, and no problem. I listened to a track just now and the left channel was almost completely off, then gradually it started coming back.

After half an hour (now) the left side is about 90% and the right normal 100%.

I have swopped over the interconnects and the left is is always down a bit. So it's the 009 I reckon. It is not imagination as the bass vibration in the frames is right down on the left side.

I wonder if I had some static charge when I picked them up? I am also wondering if it will come back to normal. I bought the 009s from Synergy UK inside 24 months, so can get a repair / replacement if I act soon.

I think I will give it a day or so see if it comes back up.

Has anyone here had the same experience, and if so, did it fix itself or was it terminal or an annoying recurring issue?

Any help would be great guys, Boo Hoo I am now very sad....

If you have access to another amp, try the 009 on it - just to rule out something on the amp side.

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #762 of 928
Hi Georgep

I swopped over the wires to the Stax socket in my amp, so made left right and right left. The channel imbalance is still on the same left side of the headphones.

So looks like I will need to send them back to Synergy. It is 20 months right now, you get 2 years standard in the EU block.

Odd, I thought (hoped) the imbalance thing was something that showed up in 3 months, then home and dry after that. Wrong!!!!

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #763 of 928
I see people put their 009s in bags, I'm not that pedantic, and use it as a daily listener. I'm wondering if these things are more to be kept in a museum so as not to fail.....

Mine has dropped from the chair to the floor a couple of times. The only favor I do it is to keep my 009 in its original box when not in use. No issue since I bought it 4 years ago...

So, if I go by your principle, not all sr009 are built the same because mine does seem to be staying alive for the long haul...

Arnaud

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #764 of 928
Mine has dropped from the chair to the floor a couple of times. The only favor I do it is to keep my 009 in its original box when not in use. No issue since I bought it 4 years ago...

So, if I go by your principle, not all sr009 are built the same because mine does seem to be staying alive for the long haul...

Arnaud

Yes, and I was hoping as I made it to 20 months regular use, I was in the clear. Reality check though, have to tread any of the LCD3 problem thread on this forum. And there are more LCD2 and other makes. I guess when you get to fine tuned high tech headphones they can and do go wrong. It shouldn't happen though, not if the 009s cost so much.

Imagine the HE1 failing? Or maybe that system has a life warranty? At that price it should be built in for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back