Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread
May 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #376 of 781
Stax products are very well made and last for decades.
It is rare to have major issues, and I would take Stax over any other brand.
Having said that, customer support in the US has been an issue.

May 7, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #380 of 781
In my experience, I have Stax products bought locally to the Spanish distributor; and some Stax products bought in audio cubes. 

The Spanish distributor keeps spare parts for most their products, and has been able to solve a couple of issues regarding quite old equipment I bought from him. However, he states that he will not service products that he has not sold.

His other point is that he's invoicing 21% VAT, which puts him at a disadvantage over foreign offers. Many of the japanese vendors state value ridiculously lower than real, and therefore they pass through customs without additional charges (at least in Spain). He complained to me that he had to charge 870 € VAT for each SR-009 he sold, and he was even accused of stealing when comparing his prices with internet's.

My service experience is then duo fold. If you buy from internet, you're on your own. If you buy locally, you're well supported; and Stax uses good, classic engineering that lasts many, many years if cared for.

May 7, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #381 of 781
Even if you're buying from the internet, you're still well-supported if you buy from authorized dealers. This becomes of convenience to those that do not have retailers in there country that stock Stax products.

May 7, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #382 of 781
I bought my products in the US, hoping to have support if anything breaks own.
Well, it happened, and StaxUSA has not bothered answering my request for repairs.
I understand them not servicing products bought in the grey market..mine isn't.

May 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #383 of 781
I know Stax is a revered name around here... but this kind of customer service is flat-out unacceptable. Hope everything works out, Gilency!

May 7, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #384 of 781
I said some posts back That Quality control in the UK bought Stax products "went down the tubes"  some don't believe me here .
        This was in all the UK hi-Fi mags. Headphone cable broke easily head bands broke diaphragms blew.etc.
            There was a lot of unhappy Stax buyers. Why try to cover it up? I have no ulterior motive my amp and headphones are both Stax.
                I am only saying the truth. 3 month boat journeys to Japan for repair And there is only ONE authorized dealer in the UK and most were bought from him. You cant keep covering up for a companies mistakes no matter who it is. A company is only as good as its last product.
                   Look at WIN 8 Microsoft blew it here for PC users and now we hear of WIN BLUE and surprise surprise  guess whats coming back- although not completely- the  start menu  and a lot more changes. And yet they are heavily advertising Win 8 saying we all want it??
    If its that good why isn't major industry/big business not using it??-you know why don't you.
        Nothing is perfect if it was nobody would buy anything else.
         So I have the greatest sympathy for those not happy.

May 10, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #385 of 781
Quote:
I get an humming when using the Stax AC adapter. This is not an aftermarket unit, it is Stax brand.
The hum goes away when I touch the iPod and happens with either mode.
The adapter has only 2 prongs, I suspect grounding is an issue, but may be my unit is defective.
Any ideas? I have contacted StaxUSA, hopefully they can look into it

Might have something to do with the switching type circuit.
I suppose the official stax adaptor ain't cheap. maybe send it back and get the refund, use the $ to mod a battery pack or a transformer type ac adaptor?

May 11, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #386 of 781
Hi.. I just Got the SRS-002 system and was blown away with the sound!! im quite familiar with STAX sounds, and i think the srs 002 system is one of their best offering, for $600~ its actually can compare with the best over  $1000 iem around, worth every penny if not for the somewhat fragile build (mine was a replacement unit, the first unit goes imbalance just after 30 minutes run).. 

anyway i have a SRM-1 Mk 2 Driver lying around can i somehow connect it with the SR 002 with an external adapter? already search in STAX website and cant find one..

thx..

May 11, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #387 of 781
Quote:
I said some posts back That Quality control in the UK bought Stax products "went down the tubes"  some don't believe me here .
        This was in all the UK hi-Fi mags. Headphone cable broke easily head bands broke diaphragms blew.etc.
            There was a lot of unhappy Stax buyers. Why try to cover it up? I have no ulterior motive my amp and headphones are both Stax.
                I am only saying the truth. 3 month boat journeys to Japan for repair And there is only ONE authorized dealer in the UK and most were bought from him. You cant keep covering up for a companies mistakes no matter who it is. A company is only as good as its last product.
                   Look at WIN 8 Microsoft blew it here for PC users and now we hear of WIN BLUE and surprise surprise  guess whats coming back- although not completely- the  start menu  and a lot more changes. And yet they are heavily advertising Win 8 saying we all want it??
    If its that good why isn't major industry/big business not using it??-you know why don't you.
        Nothing is perfect if it was nobody would buy anything else.
         So I have the greatest sympathy for those not happy.

I can believe it happened sometime in Stax history for a reason or another but we're in 2013, and Stax products are nowadays airmailed and thoroughly tested prior to shipment (I've seen it from my own eyes in their lab as recently as last year).

Doesn't mean there aren't doa products (after all, many package delivery services in the world like to play airdrop with packages and stats are probable more vulnerable to that than other gear). But Stax Japan at least has very good customer service (at least if you've purchased your gear through an authorized reseller, the communication and turnaround is good). In the USA, unfortunately, there seems to be lingering issue with the distribution, and people have every right to complain.

May 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #388 of 781
I take on board what you say and yes it was some time ago that this happened  and glad to hear things  are now okay.in Japan[or is it China now they are owned by a Chinese company]
   but even now at least one UK well known Hi-Fi mag refuses to either comment on or put in their appraisal of Stax products in their mag..I don't know if it is the fame of Head-Fi or not but not long after commenting on  Win 8 [now in headlines in the UK]  as they accept they made a mistake[maybe] and are changing the programming for the new Blue. Microsoft removed  their gadgets from my PC had to hunt on the net for new ones-be very careful out there some  Free ones  come with viruses and my Protection program blocked many sites. But it was worth it got good gadgets now. 

May 18, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #390 of 781
^^ That is why I like them. Most of my listening is classical and jazz.
Customs give a ringing in my ears when I feel the negative pressure from a good seal. 
BTW, StaxUSA answered my emails apologizing for not answering promptly due to unforeseen reasons and sounded very nice and polite. I mailed my unit for repairs.
Headamp helped too. Thanks Justin. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back