Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread
Apr 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #361 of 783
If I had that question I'd email the guys at http://www.highendworkshop.co.uk/

They always seem to be able to answer my questions like this.
Quote:
Anyone with the part number for the SRM001-mk2 cable handy thanks very much.

P.s. did a search online...couldn't find. Had a friend drop by Yodobashi, Tokyo where I bought the Stax from years ago...apparently they don't know about the replacement cable without the part number...they told my friend the phones are discontinued for a long time....

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #363 of 783
I don't own the Stax, but from following this and a few other threads, I'd say that if by "on the go" you mean literally while moving around (walking, running, and/or generally being out and about in the world), it would not be a good pairing, as these do not isolate very much at all. As far as applicability of the sound signature to rock music, I'll leave that to those with more experience and better feedback :wink:

Apr 27, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #365 of 783
Anyone try higher voltage AA batteries with these.

I have a set os the SR002 due to be delivered and was looking at 2.5v AA and even 3.6v AA batteries.

Here,s a sample of the 3.6v Lithium AA rechargeables.

Would the amp handle these voltages and what would be the safe voltage to go?

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #366 of 783
Anyone try higher voltage AA batteries with these.

I have a set os the SR002 due to be delivered and was looking at 2.5v AA and even 3.6v AA batteries.

Here,s a sample of the 3.6v Lithium AA rechargeables.

Would the amp handle these voltages and what would be the safe voltage to go?

Wall charger :

Please see the max voltage srm 002 is 4,5 volt for wall charger
You can use below this 4,5 volt

Internal battery use 2 x 1,5 volt = 3.0 volt :

This AA is one pcs 2,5 volt and 3,6 volt ?
than 2 pcs x 2,5 volt = 5,0 volt
And 2 pcs x 3,6 volt = 7,2 volt

You can not exceed this 3,0 volt , can damage you amp section from Stax Srm 002

Maybe Justin can explain better about technicality

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #368 of 783
I use to use a wallwart psu rated 5v which will work with the SRM amp as long as it doesn't smoke out or so. But just to be on the safe side, stick with 4.5v which is what I use now with a DC adapter I purchased from Jaycar.

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #370 of 783
I get an humming when using the Stax AC adapter. This is not an aftermarket unit, it is Stax brand.
The hum goes away when I touch the iPod and happens with either mode.
The adapter has only 2 prongs, I suspect grounding is an issue, but may be my unit is defective.
Any ideas? I have contacted StaxUSA, hopefully they can look into it.

May 3, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #371 of 783
Some comments from Spain...

On one side, I have been using the SRS-001 for some time already, fed from a 5v power supply, without any problem. The sound is much more robust than with batteries - and lasts more. I have been using it for my business trips, fed from Macbook -> iTunes -> Audirvana -> Meridian Explorer -> SRS-001. I carry as well an Ultimate Ears UE10 (custom earplugs), which in late 2005 was the top of the brand, but I prefer the Stax for extended listening and much wider soundstage. However, it has always been a compromise, since it has a limited treble and low bass.

It took its good 50 hours to start sounding well - the frequency extension at the beginning was much poorer - one could think that the machine was broken.

My preferred way of using it is listening to it while I work or read on the computer, typically in the hotel room. I don't use it off an iPod - I prefer the simplicity of the UE10. 

Lately I have received an SRS-005 Mk2. For the way I was using the SRS-001, I much prefer to have a proper amplifier like the SRS-252s, and having the compatibility with other energizers I have.

With the breaking in experience of the SRS-001, I had to be patient with the SRS-005. Surprisingly, the part that took longer to "open up" was the amplifier. I was comparing both parts with different energizers (SRD-X Professional, SRD-7 Professional and Woo Wee) and different earphones (Lambda Professional and 404 Signature), and there were some clear conclusions:

1. Initially, the whole thing sounds broken. And it does not improve until you pass the 30 hours mark. I would say that the earphone opens up at 20 hours, and before it has a very limited frequency extension; while the amplifier took much longer (40-50 hours) to start sounding better than the SRD-X. As I have not crossed the 100 hours limit, I don't know where it will end. 
  2. The SRM-252s has much more weight than the SRD-X, but less impact and dynamics than the passive energizers. But it is mud more portable than both.
  3. There is no comparison between the SRS-001 and the SRS-005 mk2. There is much more treble extension; but also the treble is clearer and smoother, with nothing of the graininess of the SRS-001.
  4. The bass range seems to be more extended, but also clearer and less resonant.
  5. The treble is still softer than that of the Lambda range. On the other hand, I have always found the Stax treble range a little bit too strong, while still listenable and musical.
  6. The bass is less deep and more congested than the Lambdas. In particular, the bass of the 404 Signature fed from the Woo Wee is close to perfect for my tastes - much better indeed than my Senn HD800 and AKG 701.
  7. The soundstage is not as good as the bigger Lambdas or the Senn HD800, but much better than any other in-ear I have tried (Etys, UE10). In comparison, the other in-ears are claustrophobic.
  8. comfort is the best of any in-ear. When you wear the earphones without the headband, you barely notice that you have them. The box comes with three different ear tip sizes. The bigger one was the best for me. In any case, I prefer to use the head band. I have read that many people finds it uncomfortable - not my case. Adjusting it by rotating the earphones around their axis, you can change a little the bass-treble balance, adding brilliance or bass. 
  9. When the fit is good (and you know it from the strange "compression" noise that you hear when you reach it), the bass is good and with a decent slam - much better than the SRS-001. The slam is also better than with the Lambdas

Most of the time I listen to classical music, but most of my records are of pop-rock music. With many of my headphones, recent pop music sounds exceedingly bright. This is tamed down by these headphones, making it listenable.

I will report back when I have reached 200 hours. If I had to decide whether to keep them or not the first day, I would have returned them. Big error - no I prefer them to any other portable set up I have. You can follow the story here from now on.

May 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #372 of 783
Quote:
I get an humming when using the Stax AC adapter. This is not an aftermarket unit, it is Stax brand.
The hum goes away when I touch the iPod and happens with either mode.
The adapter has only 2 prongs, I suspect grounding is an issue, but may be my unit is defective.
Any ideas? I have contacted StaxUSA, hopefully they can look into it.

Interference from the ipod? I get a loud hum when I use mine near my ipad.

May 4, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #373 of 783
No. Even if I unplug it and keep it away from the iPod, it hums as soon as I plug it in.
I have emailed StaxUSA twice, they have not responded. I'll give them the benefit of being too busy, but I have heard complaints about their customer service before.
One reason I have bought Staxes in the US is supposedly for their warranty and service.

May 4, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #375 of 783
You are not alone -All sorts of problems occurred in the UK some years ago -web-sites filled with angry Stax buyers . this  coincided  with a down turn in Stax quality control due to financial problems . The company has changed hands at least once . Now owned by a Chinese company- It got so bad here one Hi-Fi mag who employ some well known "Golden Ears" stopped reviewing all Stax products because of their readers complaints and still don't do them. All repairs had to go on 3 months boat  journeys
             Stax are secretive on their products  try getting a circuit diagram of their up to date products. 
                 Having said all that I have been using my -007-OM 2-MK 1 for years and love it bought before the troubles
                    and bought the 727-11 knowing I would have to modify it.  So  I am happy with them.
                       Have there been a change in Stax policy in the US?  Do they repair them IN the US? 
                        or is it 3 months boat journeys?
                           A fuller version of this can be found on the Web.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back