Stax Sigma - how many owners are left out there?
Aug 26, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #91 of 127
Quote:
Hi and sorry for the flood.

My Stax Sigma have a flat grey cable compared to the 207 cable. It's normal ?
I had believed understand that the latest version of the Sigma released in 1987 had a flat black cable.

The normal bias Sigma had a flat black cable (well the post 1979 units) but this one can turn gray with age.  The Sigma Pro had a brown cable. 

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #92 of 127
Yes it must be that ! Thank You Spritzer.
And thank you anyway Takeanidea : )

I would also say that the curve made ​​by Ludovic ( curve of the real ED-1 based on the real schematic of the ED-1 http://www.head-fi.org/t/675545/stax-ed-1-and-ed-5-eqs-emulation ) at a effect for me on the Sigma with convolver DSP ( http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=85106 ) for foobar2000 , maybe because he has the driver of the first Lambdas and this curve was made for the Lambdas pro.
Anyway this curve ( for me ) reduces reverb, makes everything a little more natural and adds to a space between the instruments and enlarged thus the already large soundstage Sigma.

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #93 of 127
With the Stax SRA 12S Amp- The non pros are deeper, smoother, and clearer.  The Stax Sigma Pros have a higher bias so therefore the highs are accentuated which has very little value to me and probably others.  The Stax Sigma non pros have a lower bias which accentuates the Bass.  I have both Pro and Non Pro.  I like to non pro sound far better. 

I don't know why the pro highs would have little value unless one's high frequency hearing was going. I get worried about mine from time to time but it comes back after I clean the earwax out.

Mostly I listen to the sigma/404 and sigma pro. I keep my sigma normals even though I don't listen to them much. But every time I do, usually on the SRA12S, I am struck by the quality of their sound. They show a certain sweetness that the high bias sets don't have.

I wonder just how much these sets will go for in a few years. They have that rare combination of uniqueness, quality and scarcity.

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #94 of 127

The normal bias Sigma had a flat black cable (well the post 1979 units) but this one can turn gray with age.  The Sigma Pro had a brown cable. 

I have 2 pairs of NB Sigma...

Sigma 1 s/no 00366 The cable is round cloth covered black with red specks.

Sigma 2 s/no 04768 The cable is flat pvc or other, colour is black.

Sigma 1 has a damaged ARC with an iffy looking repair, works fine.

Sigma 2 is immaculate like new, boxed with acoustic stand and instruction booklet.

Both bought at well below current pricing.

I love em.   

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #96 of 127
  Hi:)
So it is you who have purchased the HEAD acoustics HPS I that was out of service on ebay ?

Yes the first sigma have a have a round wire cloth.
When the lambda arrived they updated the cable Sigma with the same as lambda.

I dropped my 207 since I got my sigma :$

Well spotted. :wink:

Yes, It is a beautifully put together bit of kit but DOA.

I am hoping to find a techy to check it over but all the ones I know are real busy right now.

I think / hope it is just a simple PSU fault.

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #97 of 127
I have a number of Stax Sigmas both pro and non pro.  I have one Sigma Pro and four Sigma non Pros. I used to have two more Sigma Pro's but my amp ate them up.  I love listening to my Sigma non pros with my SRA 12S.  I

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #98 of 127
What do you mean by your amp ate them up? Surely you didn't throw them out and kept the parts as spares in case your other Sigma Pro's failed or have a broken part?

Nov 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #99 of 127
The amp damaging a Pro bias driver is pretty much impossible.  It simply can't swing that much voltage. 

Quote:
  Well spotted. :wink:

Yes, It is a beautifully put together bit of kit but DOA.

I am hoping to find a techy to check it over but all the ones I know are real busy right now.

I think / hope it is just a simple PSU fault.

Can  you post some pics of it?  I was tempted but I have way too many amps as it is...
redface.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #100 of 127
Normal Bias flat wire Sigma owner reporting in 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #102 of 127
I quite like it, bringing down 100-200 Hz by a couple of dBs using EQ also helps make the sound more balanced by the way.

May 19, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #104 of 127
Can any owners out there recommend where to get ear-pads to use with Sigmas? I've emailed Electromod and Audiocubes, and both say "no longer made / not available". They look to be the same size as SR-303 / SR-404 ear-pads, but I do recall reading in a thread that the Sigmas ear-pads were shaped differently. Can anyone chime-in with recommendations?

Thanks, 
Cameron

May 20, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #105 of 127
I suppose any Stax earpads from the lambda series would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back