Stax Sigma - how many owners are left out there?
Jul 31, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #61 of 127
Quote:

Why are they grey?

These were orginally low bias.  For several years after the Sigma pros came out, Stax or their dealers would do a rebuild of the low bias to pro standard.  These were sent to Stax in Japan for rebuilding back in the day when you could still communicate directly with  headquarters.

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #62 of 127
I humbly say that the Sigmas are my favorite headphones.  I have four Sigma non pros and one Sigma Pro.  I love these headphones.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #64 of 127
I humbly say that the Sigmas are my favorite headphones.  I have four Sigma non pros and one Sigma Pro.  I love these headphones.

Hi Scott, they are a treasure in Stax's collection for sure. What is it that you prefer against the rest? Do you still brave the streets of New York with them? How's retirement?
Trev

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #65 of 127

I don't really know how to feel about this post.

On one hand, I'm happy for you that you have so many of the things you love.

On the other hand, there are a lot of people (including myself) who might never be able to experience the magic of these headphones because collectors snap them up in droves like this, not to mention the fact that this opens up the used market to even more people getting ripped off due to flippers exploiting the artificial rarity.

Just my two cents.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #66 of 127
Well, I also had two pair of Sigma pros that have broken; so I didn't include those in my count.  The Sigma non pros go really well with a vintage SRA-12S amp; not one that has been modified.  I started a Headfi-Stax Sigma tribute thread about four years ago.  I think that under the right conditions, ie- sound level, musical selection. amp, cables etc they sound better than any other Stax Headphone.  In case you did not know, I was at The Stax Factory in Satiama, Japan last December and had an opportunity to interview the CEOs and Presidents of the company as well as take a Factory Tour.  Myself, Arnaud and Curowong wrote up this really great Headfi article. 

The Sigma's were the favorite headphones of the previous CEO of what we refer to as The Old Stax Company.  My most dying question to the CEO of The New Stax Corporation was whether they might come out with a new headphone similar or exactly like the old Sigmas.  Sadly the CEO said that they had no plans to do this.

I am by nature a horder.  I fear not having enough of one thing or not having a replacement of an item if my original were to stop working.  I have this relatively under control; but if you think about it long enough, you might realize that the Sigmas are very rare.  What if the pair that you currently have were to stop working?  I say no more!

I have also found that the Stax 4070- now discontinued- and rarely found on Ebay anywhere, can offer a similar ambient sound to the Sigmas. In prep for the Sigma Holocaust, I also have three pair of 4070s.  I am ready!

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #67 of 127
I have also come to the conclusion that the Sigma non pro is better sounding the the Sigma Pro.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #68 of 127
I have also come to the conclusion that the Sigma non pro is better sounding the the Sigma Pro.

Interesting - you'd be the first person who I've heard claim this. Why do you say so? 
redface.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #69 of 127
Also, would you at some point consider selling the broken Sigma Pros if they are in a repairable condition? I am sure that plenty of people would love the chance to restore one of these units back to health if such a thing is possible. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #70 of 127
With the Stax SRA 12S Amp- The non pros are deeper, smoother, and clearer.  The Stax Sigma Pros have a higher bias so therefore the highs are accentuated which has very little value to me and probably others.  The Stax Sigma non pros have a lower bias which accentuates the Bass.  I have both Pro and Non Pro.  I like to non pro sound far better. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #71 of 127
As I once mentioned before- I wore my Sigmas on the NYC subway system once.  I had it hooked into my SRD pro.  The looks were totally amazing. Sorry I don't have any pictures.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #72 of 127
My broken pairs of Sigma Pros are in non working condition.  Additionally, each earspeaker is detached from it's cable as is the cable that is attached to the amplifier.  It is pure junk.  It seems as though you can not attach a vintage pair of Stax Pro headphones to a Stax Pro Amplifier such as the SRM 007ta.  This is how my two pair of Sigma Pros died. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #75 of 127
Quote:
My broken pairs of Sigma Pros are in non working condition.  Additionally, each earspeaker is detached from it's cable as is the cable that is attached to the amplifier.  It is pure junk.  It seems as though you can not attach a vintage pair of Stax Pro headphones to a Stax Pro Amplifier such as the SRM 007ta.  This is how my two pair of Sigma Pros died. 

Of course you can.  The drivers of a SR-202 and the drivers in the Sigma Pro are identical in terms of the building blocks used and those amps can't swing enough voltage to damage anything. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back