SRH840 impression
Aug 5, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #496 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by No_One411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently, RMC Audio had some trouble with Shure and can only ship the headphones by September 4th. Their site doesn't even show the discounted price anymore. Does anybody know if JR.com will still honor the price? I tried emailing them, but haven't got a response yet.

I'm still interested in these headphones, but would prefer to purchase them at the $129.99 price.

RMC was very professional about refunding my order after the Sept 4 ship date announcement. However, when I called JR this morning, they took the opportunity to bash RMC by saying they are not authorized dealer, and so refused to match their $129 price. I went ahead and pulled the trigger at $149 thru JR because I am very bad at waiting (like most of you, I suspect).
wink_face.gif

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #498 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by leichnitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RMC was very professional about refunding my order after the Sept 4 ship date announcement. However, when I called JR this morning, they took the opportunity to bash RMC by saying they are not authorized dealer, and so refused to match their $129 price. I went ahead and pulled the trigger at $149 thru JR because I am very bad at waiting (like most of you, I suspect).
wink_face.gif

This still puzzles me, didn't someone in this thread already go through Shure's authorized resellers list and prove this statement to be false?

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #499 of 2,135
Aug 5, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #500 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to hear, ABathingApe! Very much looking forward to returning to Edmonton and putting my pair to the test. Tried Grados in the noisy lab before and they just wont do. Do you think that the SRH840's will provide enough isolation if I have several pumps running/heavy white noise in the environment? I also figure that they will collapse and stow away nicely in the included bag, allowing for easy transport. Thanks again for placing the order. $170 CDN with shipping and taxes is a great price!

Well, after using only SE530's for a year, I have to say that it's hard for me to describe lesser isolation. I'm used to being able to not hear any ambient noise with very low listening volumes. From what I understand you like to crank it up at home
wink.gif
and probably would not be bothered by pumps etc. I'll go home and do my laundry, put these on with decent listening volume, and tell you how much they bother me :p.

They do collapse nicely, but require you to completely extend the cups from the band.

In my office environment, if someone was half a meter from me talking at an appropriate volume, I would not be able to hear them. If I were to describe the sound of the ventilation and computers being run, I can hear them without music still, but sound quite muffled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mplee79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how did you get jr to price match you. They only gave me 149 even after i told them about rmc

I originally had JR price match RMC for my group buy with sampson_smith. Then, I included someone else into the order and bargained them down to 124.99 each for 3 pairs. If shahrose's link is still active, you can email it to the agent and they can use it to verify the price @ 129.99, which is how I did it. Granted I did pay shipping, but to Canada we pay shipping anyways.

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #501 of 2,135
I received mine from JR on 8/3 and I've been burning in this bad boy since then. I have been listening to them off and on during that time. All, I can say is: Oh Man!!!! very good sound stage. this cans don't sound like closed cans at all. Out of the box, it sounds real good already. Once it is properly burned in, it will only get better. The setup is: Zune->Pico amp, and PC with foobar200 to Pico w/ DAC. It just sounds awesome. When connected to Zune directly, it sounds good. But, if you feed your source to Pico. it just excel.. I have been looking for a real good cans that won't break my bank and SQ needs to be close to my HD600 for my office use. I tried the DT770, good cans but I prefer SRH840. This is a real sweet cans. But, hey everyone has different ears and liking...
darthsmile.gif

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #503 of 2,135
I called JR asking for a price match for the Shures from RMC. They said that since the item in question was not in stock at the specified manufacturer, it is not applicable for Price Match.

Oh well, it was worth a try. At least there wasn't any nonsense about questioning the dealership. I suppose $150 is still fair game for this pair of headphones.

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #504 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by No_One411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I called JR asking for a price match for the Shures from RMC. They said that since the item in question was not in stock at the specified manufacturer, it is not applicable for Price Match.

Oh well, it was worth a try. At least there wasn't any nonsense about questioning the dealership. I suppose $150 is still fair game for this pair of headphones.

it's not bad with free shipping. @ 129.99 they'd probably make you pay the shipping cost as well

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #505 of 2,135
koven,

I put my HD580 away years back after I upgraded to HD600. HD600 is a notch better then HD580 at least bass wise and sound signature is about the same between the two. I still love my HD600 and HD580. I did a quick comparison of few tracks last night between HD600 and SRH840. I said "Damn..." SRH840 is almost as good as HD600 with more bass(but don't take my word for it). if you like HD580 and happy with amount of bass, you might thing SRH840 will have too much bass. Again, I go with my personal liking. I sometime think SRH840 has too much bass.

And for the price I paid for, I am extremely happy with the purchase.

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #506 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's not bad with free shipping. @ 129.99 they'd probably make you pay the shipping cost as well

I got mine for $129.99 w/ free shipping and no tax from JR. But unfortunately, I've heard it's a bit too late to get them to price match.

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #507 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But unfortunately, I've heard it's a bit too late to get them to price match.

Seems to be that way. Many of us early adopters got really good deals for these. It's interesting that RMC would give such a low introductory price.

Aug 5, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #509 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipponrg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spoke to a rep at JR, and they said to send them my invoice from RMC and they might price match it then. I havent heard back though. For what it's worth, I havent canceled my RMC order (yet).

Let me know how it works. They said that the item doesn't qualify for the price match because RMC doesn't carry the item in stock. Hopefully, it works out for you.

Aug 5, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #510 of 2,135
Given the impressions I've heard so far--approx. 85% positive, give or take--I'd say that these 'phones are even a steal at the higher MSRP of $200. Not that you'd want to pay more than you have to, but other than the lowest end Grados and Alessandro MS-1, this has to be one of the best price-points in recent memory. So excited to crank these up! Thanks for doing the "washer & drier" test, Justin! I'm sure they'll isolate admirably. Rather curious if Shure has an unreleased premium set of cans in the pipeline, somewhere around $400 MSRP, I'd imagine. (Each successive version doubles in price, approx.) I'll bet a broken pair of stock iPod buds that there'll be primo model out by X-mas.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back