SRH840 impression
Aug 4, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #481 of 2,135
I got the 840's today right before lunch. I decided to them them burn in during lunch before listening to them. I came back and was pleasantly suprised. They sounded better than I remembered at CanJam. The ones at CanJam were being played out of an ipod nano and were brand new out of the box. I am using them with a FUBAR II DAC and Cute Beyond amp at the office (though with 256kbps VBR mp3 files). They sounds much more natural than D2000's. The isolation and leakage is really good. Without listening to music, I can hear a significant noise reduction (we have a bunch of construction going on outside my window). The isolation may be too good at the office in fact, where I need to hear the phone or hear if someone enters my office. Hopefully they will be good at drowning out the TV at home! They are certainly one of the best *closed* headphones I have heard at this price.

thumbs_up.png

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #483 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by lustaficko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered these on the 26th of July and RMC still hasn't shipped them yet
frown.gif
I ordered when they were in-stock too! Ahh the wait is killing me.

I emailed them about availability. They told me that they would be shipping in their stock from Shure at the end of this week. Hopefully this can help the wait, knowing a ETA.

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #484 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by No_One411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I emailed them about availability. They told me that they would be shipping in their stock from Shure at the end of this week. Hopefully this can help the wait, knowing a ETA.

The price of a good deal is sometimes a long wait DOH!! My Fiio E5 that took a month to arrive was worth it though... Oh and the ES7 I am dying to listen to that haven't arrived in the mail yet LOL.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #485 of 2,135
Srh840's arrived this morning, burning in atm, first immpression are very promising
smily_headphones1.gif
Will give a 'full' review and comparrason to dt770's soon.

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #487 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I am working on a detailed comparison between SRH840s and HFI-780s. Variation is quite apparent across all genres as of now.

Im still trying to work out which one of these two to buy.... I owned the 780 and loved it, but the feeling trying a new phone is always great!

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #488 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I am working on a detailed comparison between SRH840s and HFI-780s. Variation is quite apparent across all genres as of now.

This i'm looking forward to. I liked they way the HFI-780's sounded when I heard them (albeit only briefly) at a local meet.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #489 of 2,135
Just got my SRH840's in the mail. Listened to them for about 20 minutes on the morning commute. People have said these aren't portable, but I had no problem carrying them around. More impressions after some on the job listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #490 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my SRH840's in the mail. Listened to them for about 20 minutes on the morning commute. People have said these aren't portable, but I had no problem carrying them around. More impressions after some on the job listening
smily_headphones1.gif

What's your portable source? I find the huge 1/8 plug as the main annoying point portability wise. This makes it almost unusable with my iPhone 3G as it seriously seems as if one wrong move would do some bad damage to the headphone socket and the jack itself. Plus, since the jack for the 3G is at the top, when you hold it upright it feels as if the weight of the plug is causing stress to the jack. With all the reports over the last year of the plastic case of 3G eventually developing cracks (especially near the headphone jack), it's definitely not a risk I'm willing to take. With my S639 it's a bit better as the jack is at the bottom and the player is so light to begin with.

I also find the headphone itself too heavy to be portable, because you always feel that weight bearing down on you on top of the head. I've got more of an oval type of head instead of a flatter-top head so that could be another reason why this may annoy me more than others (also the reason why I absolutely could not live with the K701 headband bumps). The design of the headband (the mid part of the headband pressures the top of your head instead of wrapping around your head, like HD650 headband does) makes this worse for me as well. It's good if you can find it to be comfortable and convenient enough as a portable can, though, since it sounds great and does offer very good isolation.

Aug 5, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #491 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your portable source? I find the huge 1/8 plug as the main annoying point portability wise. This makes it almost unusable with my iPhone 3G as it seriously seems as if one wrong move would do some bad damage to the headphone socket and the jack itself. Plus, since the jack for the 3G is at the top, when you hold it upright it feels as if the weight of the plug is causing stress to the jack. With all the reports over the last year of the plastic case of 3G eventually developing cracks (especially near the headphone jack), it's definitely not a risk I'm willing to take. With my S639 it's a bit better as the jack is at the bottom and the player is so light to begin with.

I also find the headphone itself too heavy to be portable, because you always feel that weight bearing down on you on top of the head. I've got more of an oval type of head instead of a flatter-top head so that could be another reason why this may annoy me more than others (also the reason why I absolutely could not live with the K701 headband bumps). The design of the headband (the mid part of the headband pressures the top of your head instead of wrapping around your head, like HD650 headband does) makes this worse for me as well. It's good if you can find it to be comfortable and convenient enough as a portable can, though, since it sounds great and does offer very good isolation.

I'm using my N95 8GB with OGGPLAY as my source. I really have no complains of the SQ from it. Granted I think the socket doesn't fit straight because it has stripped all the gold off my SE530's 1/8 plug after about a year of usage.

The top of my head is mostly flat, use the ear pieces extended to '4' and other than this little gap from where my jaw jutts out, it is a pretty tight seal.

The first thing I've noticed about these HP were the comfort. Like people have been talking about it but you really feel that these could sit on your head forever. The clamping force is sufficient, but I have a hard time letting them wrap around my neck and just sit if I'm trying to talk to someone. Maybe this is because the only other big cans I own are my parent's 20 year old Sonys (model number to be dug up later), and I'd NEVER be able to wear those as portable..

Some people have complained about the cable, and initially when I read the spec it said 3m long. Which I was afraid of, like who the **** would want a spool of wire with them, but it's really not that bad since it's coiled. It sits about a meter long without tension, and I like the flexibility that the coil gives me as I can place my source in my bag and not worry about length when moving around and such.

As for the much talked about soundstage, I felt it is definitely there. Bass is not excessive but let's you know it's there. The majority of my listening consists of trance, and at times have really cool left right channel switching. I felt that they were able to faithfully reproduce the sounds enough for me to follow them from L to R and vice versa. I haven't heard many phones, hopefully at the next Edmonton meet I'll get a chance. But the sound is reminiscent of my SE530's.

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #492 of 2,135
Good to hear, ABathingApe! Very much looking forward to returning to Edmonton and putting my pair to the test. Tried Grados in the noisy lab before and they just wont do. Do you think that the SRH840's will provide enough isolation if I have several pumps running/heavy white noise in the environment? I also figure that they will collapse and stow away nicely in the included bag, allowing for easy transport. Thanks again for placing the order. $170 CDN with shipping and taxes is a great price!

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #493 of 2,135
Apparently, RMC Audio had some trouble with Shure and can only ship the headphones by September 4th. Their site doesn't even show the discounted price anymore. Does anybody know if JR.com will still honor the price? I tried emailing them, but haven't got a response yet.

I'm still interested in these headphones, but would prefer to purchase them at the $129.99 price.

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #494 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This i'm looking forward to. I liked they way the HFI-780's sounded when I heard them (albeit only briefly) at a local meet.

I'll post my impressions with in the next 48-72 hours.
beerchug.gif

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #495 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by No_One411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently, RMC Audio had some trouble with Shure and can only ship the headphones by September 4th. Their site doesn't even show the discounted price anymore. Does anybody know if JR.com will still honor the price? I tried emailing them, but haven't got a response yet.

I'm still interested in these headphones, but would prefer to purchase them at the $129.99 price.

I called JR on August 3rd and got them to price match RMC at $129 so I placed my order. JR has them in stock and mine shipped out yesterday. Not sure if it's too late now, but it's worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back