SRH840 impression
Jul 30, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #316 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to RMC Audio, they are an authorized dealer for all the products they sell, including Shure's (I specifically asked them this before placing my order).

i also placed an order yesterday evening with RMC audio for both the HFI-580 and SRH840. So if/when they both come in.. i'll be able to compare

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #317 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by redlinez33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only ones that find these headphones overall "nice" sounding but not very exciting?

They are tad on the boring side. Guess I dont know how to explain it....

I was deciding between these, the DT770, and the ATH-M50. Now I am second guessing my decision.

I hate addiction... Why couldnt I just be satisfied.

You're scaring me a little now. I placed my order yesterday 6/29, and I have a feeling I'm not going to be satisfied. I always get that feeling, and I'm usually dissatisfied. I'm coming from the Grado side of things. I know these are going to sound completely different, but I'm hoping they will compliment them. - Right, Electricpop!

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #318 of 2,135
Right, foofighters
smily_headphones1.gif

And no, redlinez33, you're probably not the only one. Try burning them properly in though (but not your ears). You'll find that the bass gets really tight and musical, able to produce notes at very low frequencies (about at the same level than AD2000) while not disturbing the rest of the audio spectrum. Have to say now, as Skylab already mentioned, that I wouldn't be too happy either if there were any less bass now in quantity..
The mids become more alive as well after the first 100 hrs or so.

Quote:

This is about the best compliment the Shures could get. IME, cans that come across as boring in the beginning are usually superior in the long run since they're more accurate/natural.

OTOH, exciting cans have great appeal initially, which quickly fades as a result of fatigue. This has happened to me quite a few times.

Also well said. Grados and AT's in general, for instance, tend to be very engaging. They produce pitches well and are very musical but at the cost of being a tad fatiguing (at least 325i's). I've learned to like the 840s for their amount of information and balanced nature, and they're not absolutely tone-deaf either. Still not favouring them over AD2000's or sr325i's with jazz, acoustical or vocal music. They're not one bit sibilant, so they go good with progressive rock/fusion with lots of percussive instruments and synthesizers, even the poorly recorded ones. More nuances in a classy manner.

Jul 30, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #322 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're scaring me a little now. I placed my order yesterday 6/29, and I have a feeling I'm not going to be satisfied. I always get that feeling, and I'm usually dissatisfied. I'm coming from the Grado side of things. I know these are going to sound completely different, but I'm hoping they will compliment them. - Right, Electricpop!

Don't psyche yourself out. People can let their own opinions be persuaded by what others say here. My suggestion - don't read any more comments until you get yours and start listening for yourself.

As for me, I don't care what other people say and I am patiently waiting for my pair to arrive.
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #323 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Common guys, give the cans a (100+ hours) break
biggrin.gif

I am giving them a break, a huge one!
smily_headphones1.gif
But nothing's perfect..

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #324 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by runswithaliens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Skylab, or anyone for that matter,
Although two different types of headphones, i would be interested to know how these compare to Beyerdynamic DT990s... or 770s or 880s - I guess the 770s would be the closest comparison. My current main phones are ATH AD700s and I would like to take a noticeable step up in quality and have been considering the Beyer's. I don't mind closed phones as long as they don't have a plastic shell resonance like my ATH-A55s.

The current-version DT770 have a much for forward treble than the Shure, and a slightly more laid back midrange.

But my 770's are heavily modded, and 600 ohm, so I am really not the best person to compare. Still, they are quite different to be certain.

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #325 of 2,135
I forced myself to cancel my order :/ Keep saying to myself i dont need more headphones that wont get use... Ugh!

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #326 of 2,135
I am getting interested in these again. I heard them at CanJam and wasn't so impressed. They sounded congested and a little "dull." However, at CanJam they were brand new and played through an ipod. I really need a pair of isolating headphones (that I can wear in bed when my better half is trying to sleep). How well do these isolate? Right now I am using the K271 which are good for jazz but just don't really cut it for rock (and they leak a bit at least with the velour pads so I have to keep the volume really low).

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #327 of 2,135
Maximum volume on an iPhone, you can barely hear anything (if you can) with an average level of ambient noise. In a very quiet bedroom at normal listening levels, I don't think anyone will hear it- and if they do, it won't be disturbing at all.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #328 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting interested in these again. I heard them at CanJam and wasn't so impressed. They sounded congested and a little "dull." However, at CanJam they were brand new and played through an ipod. I really need a pair of isolating headphones (that I can wear in bed when my better half is trying to sleep). How well do these isolate? Right now I am using the K271 which are good for jazz but just don't really cut it for rock (and they leak a bit at least with the velour pads so I have to keep the volume really low).

Let's be clear here:

Isolate = how well a headphone isolates the listener from ambient noise
Leakage = how much the headphone leaks sound that others may hear

People often mix or use the two interchangeably. One does not always correlate with the other.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #329 of 2,135
Yeah, isolation is excellent, as is leakage - I have left these on to burn in through the night 6 feet from my head without them bothering me during sleep because when the pads are touching, nothing really leaks out.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #330 of 2,135
You are right, I was being sloppy with my words.

I would like to know how much these leak. In particular, whether someone two feet away in a quiet bedroom will hear anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's be clear here:

Isolate = how well a headphone isolates the listener from ambient noise
Leakage = how much the headphone leaks sound that others may hear

People often mix or use the two interchangeably. One does not always correlate with the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back