SRH840 impression
Jul 18, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #106 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Iron_Dreamer,
In your opinion, these cans beat all closed cans in this price level in sound quality?

It's a little premature for me to make that a definitive statement, but that was the thought running through my head as I auditioned them. They certainly sounded better than the closed cans in that price range that immediately come to mind, like the DT770, K271s, HD280 (ugh!), ATH-A900.

I'd like to have some more listening time with a set, but especially at $150 or so, it's hard to see how they won't become a very highly recommended set of cans for many people out there.

Jul 18, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #108 of 2,135
I'm considering these or some others to eventually replace my JVC HA-RX700's for my music (read rock/hard rock/metal)/gaming headphones eventually. I'm somewhat of a basshead, have an auzen forte for driving headphones and that's where it ends. I'm really happy with the 700's at this point, but am looking at what to go to next. I'm considering the JVC HA-DX3's, Denon AH-D2000's, or these. This has been a pretty good thread thus far, looking for more gaming perspectives though. I gotta stay w/closed cans as a preference for sound interference and leakage, and like I said I have a need for some well rounded bass that's tight and defined. If it's overpowering, I'll tune down the EQ.

But these are definately a strong contender for my next set of cans for sure, I'm going to wait for more reviews, opinions, etc...but hoping to hear more on the gamer front tbh, and anyone that's had the 700's and compared them on the same source.

:toast:

Jul 18, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #109 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Waiting to hear how they compare to the ath-m50's. They're targeting the same market I think.

Bumping cuz I feel the same way and am dying to hear comparisons.

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #111 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matro5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone know of a store in San Francisco that has these yet? the only one I can think of would be Guitar Center.

When I called my local guitar center on the east coast they sent me an email stating, "This item is currently on order and expected to arrive in our warehouse by 7/29/2009. We will send you another email as soon as it is in stock."

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #114 of 2,135
I'll be getting mine tomorrow and after some burn-in I can make a small comparison between these, HD25-1's, SR325i's and AD2000's; The HD25's being the most relevant competitor.

I've gotten rather bored of the way HD25's display music. They flatten it, so to speak, meaning they don't deliver pitch-accurate performance. As my preferences for sound sigs and characteristics have "matured" over time, I've found this quality to be of the highest importance. I will try, however, to keep it as objective as possible and also comment on secondary stuff like bass weight, eq-response, soundstage etc. or whatever I might make notions of, to the best of my abilities and reference. Transients are very important too. My current favourites are by far the AD2000's of any full sized cans I've listened to lately.

Anyway, I'm also a little excited. I have hopes that they will at least replace my HD25's as my current portables, at least when a better portable cable becomes available for them..

So, just giving a heads up, and thank you all for this informative thread!

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #115 of 2,135
i look forward to your comparison electropop, as i am unsure if i want to spend the dollar's on these just yet or save for something bigger towards the future. I really would like a closed pair of phones with good clear imaging and good all round sound... If not then i might end up spending some money towards a b22 and pair of AD2k's :p and be done lol. Poor wallet!

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #118 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by nirvanaxp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone think that the price for the new shure headphones are worth it? Or are these a bit overpriced like shure iems? I'd be willing to buy these if shure is pricing these aggressively, otherwise I'll grab some sennheisers.

From early reports, most people seem to think the price is very good for their performance.

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #119 of 2,135
They are priced very aggressively. $200 (or less - $160 or so from some eBay retailers) for a notable company's top-of-the-line headphone is pretty remarkable. Unfortunately, I haven't heard much else in this price range (e.g. lower-priced Grados, ATs, Ultrasones, or Denon 1001), but I've heard a lot of the stuff in the $200-400 range and I think these are definitely competitive with many of those.

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #120 of 2,135
That makes sense that they would make their first heaphones reasonably priced per performance. They do want to win the hearts and minds of people like us headfiers.
wink.gif

The more I hear about these, the more I want to buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back