SRH840 impression
Aug 26, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #811 of 2,135
hehehe enjoy guys. I hope my 840s are going to be loved in their new home. As for my opinion... the bass quality is just not acceptable on these 840s. The stock d2ks were better in that area IMO
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #812 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehehe enjoy guys. I hope my 840s are going to be loved in their new home. As for my opinion... the bass quality is just not acceptable on these 840s.

In what sense is it unacceptable?

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #813 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree, these are NOT lacking in BASS in anyway. The bass impact is similar to my Grado RS1s. Maybe you prefer the bloated BOSE bass?

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #814 of 2,135
The SRH840's bass is pretty neutral IMO - I actually think it's quite probable that some will feel it does not have enough bass, and some will feel that it has too much - such is the nature of people's feelings about bass, I have learned with time spent on head-fi
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #815 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawaiiancerveza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know a few people have mentioned that when playing rock the 840 distorted. I have burned them in for over 200 hrs now and there is no distortion when I play rock/heavy metal. I listen to all genre.
atsmile.gif

I may be one of those people you're referring to. Just to be clear, I was hearing the distortion with string instruments at high volume, and only in the first hour of burn-in. Haven't heard anything like it since.

Haven't heard the Denons people want to compare them to, but at the price I paid the 840s were $100 bucks cheaper than them, and I'm not curious. I don't think I'd want anymore bass, but to each his own, of course.

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #816 of 2,135
Quote:

Its not the amount of bass. The quality sounds like a closed can instead of sounding like real bass. The stock d2000s are also a little bloated but sound a little more open and real. Less of a closed cuppy coloration.

Aug 26, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #817 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its not the amount of bass. The quality sounds like a closed can instead of sounding like real bass. The stock d2000s are also a little bloated but sound a little more open and real. Less of a closed cuppy coloration.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean my post to be anything other than an honest question (as I await my backordered pair), so I'm sorry if it took a different connotation. Anyway, it's a boominess issue? I happen to enjoy the "closed can bass" sound, myself...so I look forward to judging for myself (once RMC Audio gets itself out of Shure purgatory).
beyersmile.png

I'm actually concerned I'll end up falling into the "not enough bass" camp (a preference which, by the way, I don't think merits the derogatory "BOSE-lover" derision MacedonianHero gives it) -- but who knows?

Aug 26, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #818 of 2,135
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. So it's a boominess issue? I happen to enjoy the "closed can bass" sound, myself...so I'll have to judge for myself (once RMC Audio gets itself out of Shure purgatory).
beyersmile.png

I'm actually concerned I'll end up falling into the "not enough bass" camp (a preference which, by the way, I don't think merits the derogatory "BOSE-lover" derision MacedonianHero gives it) -- but who knows?

typical closed headphone bass sloppiness. I had the same problem with the audio technica a900s. Some people like the sound of closed cans some don't. I belong in the latter camp. I got these cans in the first place thinking it might be good enough musically and can be used for vocal monitoring at the same time because of people reporting them to sound open. I was wrong. Even 5 minutes listening to them makes me just take them off because of the closed sound. Only the audio technica w1000 and denon d5000 among the closed cans Ive heard can get away from sounding closed enough to thrill me. It is not the amount of bass as you can see because the w1000 and the d5000 are opposites when it comes to bass amount.

Aug 26, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #819 of 2,135
Aah, the eternal Head-Fier lament - where can I get a pair of great open cans with the best aspects of closed cans (minus their downsides) ? For less than 200 USD ...

I dont have the ESW9 yet, but I expect that they will get me a lot closer to this mystical 'open/closed' creature than the Shures, admittedly for a few more Pacific Pesos.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #820 of 2,135
Gotta admit, though, that they do exceptionally well for the sub-$200 class. Compared to my Grados and other Grados/Alessandros that I have tried, they are often more open-sounding. This enhanced headstage is perhaps due to the perception that the mid's and highs of the SRH-840's are relatively recessed, literally, compared to the more aggressive open Grado cans which give you that "on the stage with the band", slightly congested feel. They provide good counterpoints, nonetheless.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #821 of 2,135
I think the bass is fine in quantity. This is coming from a Home Theater guy who's favorite forum is the subwoofer area.

It's definitely not the last word in tightness. Not having measured it yet, I can tell it hits pretty deep but the Denons definitely go deeper, hit harder and are tighter (D5000/D7000).

I think these are pretty neutral cans overall. I wish for about 5-10% more sparkliness as these tend to sound just tad bit rolled off in the higher end, but nonetheless I think these are one of the better balanced cans I've heard.

All in all, these are keepers. They are going to replace the Denons as my everyday go-to headphones, but I'll still save my D7000 for a lively listen.

What I like about these is that they really are versatile headphones. They don't fail at any particular genre of music, these are tne most non-niche headphones I own. I'm trying to get away from niche headphones that are only good for a few genres, I want something versatile.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #822 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotta admit, though, that they do exceptionally well for the sub-$200 class. Compared to my Grados and other Grados/Alessandros that I have tried, they are often more open-sounding. This enhanced headstage is perhaps due to the perception that the mid's and highs of the SRH-840's are relatively recessed, literally, compared to the more aggressive open Grado cans which give you that "on the stage with the band", slightly congested feel. They provide good counterpoints, nonetheless.

The grados are more forward in the mids but still sound more open than the shures.

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #823 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aah, the eternal Head-Fier lament - where can I get a pair of great open cans with the best aspects of closed cans (minus their downsides) ? For less than 200 USD ...

I dont have the ESW9 yet, but I expect that they will get me a lot closer to this mystical 'open/closed' creature than the Shures, admittedly for a few more Pacific Pesos.

I prefer the sound of the ESW9's but they do not isolate much (they do a pretty good job of not leaking much sound though). The Shure's do a much better job of being a closed can.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #824 of 2,135
Well, I officially hate head-fi... I ordered the ATH-M50 so I should be able to (noobishly) compare these cans... While I have the ATH-AD700, I agree with what lots have said and everything below 500hz~ is very thin. Heres to hoping the ATH-M50 are my style. If not im sticking with them no matter what!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back