SR60-Mod
Jun 6, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #4,216 of 5,004
GETTING OFF THE GROUND

I've been burning to get past the false starts and stops and really cut some wood.  This is the last week of school (crazy week) but I spent the weekend cutting a bunch of "hockey pucks" to create blocks to lathe.

I used a 3" hole saw to get the pucks started.

I started lathing bevels to get the right external shape.

These "pucks" still needed the proper grooves to make them useful as slip-ons.  I used the drill press to get whittle down the wood beneath the mushroom top so I wouldn't overtask the lathe.

Using very fine sandpaper allowed the wood to have a really nice smoothness before lacquering.  These have the first coat of lacquer.

Today, I lacquered a big batch.  I've got more to do but will get to them after sending these out.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #4,217 of 5,004

Quote:
GETTING OFF THE GROUND

I've been burning to get past the false starts and stops and really cut some wood.  This is the last week of school (crazy week) but I spent the weekend cutting a bunch of "hockey pucks" to create blocks to lathe.

-snip-

Today, I lacquered a big batch.  I've got more to do but will get to them after sending these out

Is that a DROID X I see there?  It's an excellent device except for it's locked down nature (as a comp. sci major.. I love tinkering with all of my gadgets software). There were so many cups there!  They all looked so shiny, but lonely and in need of a home.  Good work!

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #4,218 of 5,004
Bill,

It looks like you've been cutting, drilling and lathing like a mad man.  That's a nice assortment of cups.  Sending good thoughts that one pair belong to my friend Keit.  
blink.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #4,220 of 5,004
Bill,

It looks like you've been cutting, drilling and lathing like a mad man.  That's a nice assortment of cups.  Sending good thoughts that one pair belong to my friend Keit.  
blink.gif

Yeah, I just needed to go hog wild and make as many of these as I could, in as many woods as I could.  It's like wanting to do this thing and having a mountain of bureaucratic junk in your way - and then you've got that opening and you just want to let your horses run wild.

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #4,228 of 5,004

Quote:
Woah those all look so nice, gotta say thought my favorites are the stripey cup in the second to last picture on the right and the one closest to camera in the last pic 
gs1000.gif

I'm kind of partial to all of them.  Sure, you look at the headphones when they're off your head and not being used.  However, when you put them on and fire up some music, that's where the magic begins.  The magic isn't really partial to the color of the wood.  But, as the owner, you have to appreciate the beauty of the wood - and, that's where our personal preferences come into play.

Quote:
not sure if im right but ive never seen a guitar with a shiny finish in the inside, where the sound waves bounce. could it be related?

Yes.  Quite true.  If you apply lacquer to 100% of the cup (inside and out) I'm sure there will be more reflection of bass waves, negating some of the benefit by using wooden cups.

Have I said how much I love Grado lately?  Well, I truly do.  I want to thank them for providing us with a somewhat affordable headphone that's easy to take apart, easy to get custom wooden cups cut, easy to modify by opening vent holes and somewhat easy to apply a new leather headband to them.  This is all lovely.  Just lovely.   
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #4,229 of 5,004
not sure if im right but ive never seen a guitar with a shiny finish in the inside, where the sound waves bounce. could it be related?

True, but if it's thin enough, it will be negligible. At least that's what I was told by Dean Zelinski in regards to how DBZ Guitars are finished.

Or you could oil rub them and have no real affect on the wood that's not cosmetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back