SR60-Mod
May 24, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #3,961 of 5,004
May 24, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #3,962 of 5,004
Nice 1st post Lyam and welcome aboard :)

This went a bit out of style lately, but here goes... sorry about your wallet!

May 24, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #3,963 of 5,004
Love the red grills, and they would look even better with my red earpads. just dont let ejw to see them he's very picky about colors 
L3000.gif

but seriously the red grill is a win, will have to look for something similar, i think ive seen some sort of napkin holders that might work.

May 24, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #3,964 of 5,004
Still cheaper to get an MS2i, ~£220 all in with vat charges and stuff, less if you get lucky.

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Grado-SR325is-SR-325is-Prestige-Series-Headphones-/160560256559?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item256223162f

S
ome people are a little more ambitious in their plans to rip off the UK! That's £700 for a pair of 325s. $1,130! That, I would guess, is enough to get a second (maybe first) hand GS1000 and RA 1 amp! That said, most of the prices are closer to £350 for them over here. :) 

May 24, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #3,965 of 5,004
To avoid quoting everyone, thank you for your welcome! It was a stroke of luck that I stumbled on the colour, but as soon as I did I knew I wanted them in my Grados. What I was really hoping for was some kind of hexagonal mesh. I think that'd look pretty cool, but I couldn't find any (except wire for keeping chickens in a pen, but that was a little too large for my cans). As for my wallet, there's no need to apologise. I'm not jealous and I don't really blame Grado either. It's more the UK/EU customs people.

Quote:
Still cheaper to get an MS2i, ~£220 all in with vat charges and stuff, less if you get lucky.

I am actually on the verge of buying either an MS2 (old style - they look nicer with reportedly little sound difference and I've seen a pair for £120!) or the AKG 702s. I'll make my mind up tonight or tomorrow, I think. 

May 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #3,966 of 5,004

Quote:
Love the red grills, and they would look even better with my red earpads. just dont let ejw to see them he's very picky about colors 
L3000.gif

James,  I knew you'd catch me on that one. 
biggrin.gif
  Actually, the red isn't too bad.  That is, unless the camera distorted the color a bit and it's actually a fuschia color.  In fact, I do most of my listening in the dark, so color isn't that much of an issue.  However, I do love to joke whenever I can.  Cheers.

May 24, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #3,967 of 5,004

Quote:
To avoid quoting everyone, thank you for your welcome! It was a stroke of luck that I stumbled on the colour, but as soon as I did I knew I wanted them in my Grados. What I was really hoping for was some kind of hexagonal mesh. I think that'd look pretty cool, but I couldn't find any (except wire for keeping chickens in a pen, but that was a little too large for my cans). As for my wallet, there's no need to apologise. I'm not jealous and I don't really blame Grado either. It's more the UK/EU customs people.

I am actually on the verge of buying either an MS2 (old style - they look nicer with reportedly little sound difference and I've seen a pair for £120!) or the AKG 702s. I'll make my mind up tonight or tomorrow, I think. 

Welcome to Head Fi Lyam, as for your wallet, well that's sort of  a Head Fi greeting and salutation, and you sir are off to an amazing start
evil_smiley.gif

May 25, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #3,968 of 5,004

Quote:
KneelJung said:
... as for your wallet, well that's sort of  a Head Fi greeting and salutation ...

Quite true.  Then again, there are probably much worse ways I could spend my money on.  For example, if I were a car junkie and had to have a new vehicle each year.  Taking that $5K - $10K depreciation is much larger than a $1,000 per year headphone budget.  Plus, my headphones and modifications are not nearly as susecptible to the fluctuations in gas prices. 
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

May 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #3,969 of 5,004
Put a JMoney headband on

May 25, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #3,972 of 5,004
So I made these about a month ago but I forgot to show them to you guys. I took a 225i and put Jarrah Burl THM cups on them and used figured Maple for the cup holders. 

I've decided that I'll be selling them for only $200 (which is the cost of a stock 225i's). I'm letting them go cheap because they were more of an experiment and they don't really match what I sell on my website. 

Usually I cannot sell via Head-fi as I'm a member of the trade but it's my understanding that selling without a profit is OK. Anyway they'll be up in the FS section shortly if anyone is interested. 

Happy modding everyone.

May 25, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #3,974 of 5,004

Quote:
Quite true.  Then again, there are probably much worse ways I could spend my money on.  For example, if I were a car junkie and had to have a new vehicle each year.  Taking that $5K - $10K depreciation is much larger than a $1,000 per year headphone budget.  Plus, my headphones and modifications are not nearly as susecptible to the fluctuations in gas prices. 
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Imdeed. It's a fun hobby. I'm doing the Savoy Truffle on my HF2 at the moment
biggrin.gif

BTW where is  Bila, did he fall off his skateboard again, or was he lathing wood at the kitchen table sans permission from his wife
eek.gif

May 25, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #3,975 of 5,004

Quote:
BTW where is  Bila, did he fall off his skateboard again, or was he lathing wood at the kitchen table sans permission from his wife
eek.gif

I'm not sure.  I last heard from him a week ago and he indicated he was placing my liners for my SR-325i Grados in the mail.  Hopefully, he made it to the post office. 
wink.gif

I've been posting a bit in the portable amp section this evening.  My FiiO E11 arrived today with 2 LOD cables - for my Walkman and Fuze.  That little amp really changes the Grado signature for sound.  Wherever I thought the Grado may have been slightly bass shy before, this amp is making up for it, in a big way.  Each time a component in the chain changes, I have to walk through everything all over again.  Now, I wonder how the other models would fare with this amp?  Would the RS-1 totally be out of this world with sound quality?  Arg ... so many options.

OT: My official "offer" letter arrived today.  I plan on giving my notice tomorrow and starting on June 20th.  One good thing I learned about my vacation plan is that I'm on the "monthly accrual" plan and I get 10 hours added to my plan at the end of each month.  However, June 17th will be my last day.  Not to fear, the HR group confirmed that members of the "monthly accrual" plan get the full 10 hours for the month - even if they just work one day of the month.  I could sell off my SR-325i headphones + add in that extra vacation money and get some RS-1 headphones.  I'm just not sure I could make the leap into something already "done" - without me having a desire to tweak it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back