SR60-Mod
Apr 17, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #3,077 of 5,004
Sigh, finished all the mods, and broke my beloved bila cups in the process. Everything works.

I broke 1 cup while trying to file the holes of the cup to fit the head of the jack. And I cracked the other putting it on.

Looks like I'll have to beg bila to make me another pair. =/

I feel like crap right now. hugs?

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #3,079 of 5,004

Quote:
Sigh, finished all the mods, and broke my beloved bila cups in the process. Everything works.

I broke 1 cup while trying to file the holes of the cup to fit the head of the jack. And I cracked the other putting it on.

The cracked cup should be able to be easily glued.  If the piece broke off cleanly - as reflected in your picture.  Also, the area around the jacks where you did the filing, you could get some Minwax wood putty (about $3.00 at Lowes or Home Depot) in a color that would match the wood tone.  You could use the putty to work into the gaps around the metal plug and the wooden cups.  The putty is pliable, so you could apply it with a few applications.  Also, when applying it, you would use a dampened paper towel to wipe the excess off of the finished wooden area.

Though your cups did suffer some damage, I don't think you're at a complete loss at this point.  They can be salvaged.

Additionally, I can understand one's desire to make the cables detachable.  However, to me, it also seems to add another level of complexity in these modifications that we perform.  Personally, I would have gone with a custom cable, but hard wired it by soldering the connections directly - and avoided the quick disconnects.  But, that's just my opinion.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #3,080 of 5,004
there aren't any gaps around the plugs. they actually fit very well, as I filed down a small part near the head of the jack to create a concave depression. so it fits snugly in the plastic housing. I have a tendency to try different materials and construction, so having to open up the shells all the time isn't in my favour.

As long as I soldered the jacks on proper and made sure they can't move, I don't see any problems I would encounter.

Another reason for me having detachable cables, is because I have a balanced amp, which requires a different plug.

Bila is my saviour..... he's truly one of the best things to happen to this forum.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #3,081 of 5,004
Do any of you guys use an E7 with Grado's?? I'm curious about this little device and thinking I might trade a mod kit for one.....
Also beside the full fledged Grado Headphones this thread and Bill's help have turned me on to I'm checking out IEM's anybody use Grado IE's??
Sleek Audio??
I'm trying to get info on what these typically sound like, even if trading some stuff to try them....

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #3,084 of 5,004

Quote:

Don't laugh if it seems a tad simple to get worked up over, but it does seem to provide a step forward.

I started doing two things: making the shell walls thicker and removing the inner lip/grip.  I started replacing it with a shelf that prevents the inner from sliding in beyond a certain point.  I wasn't sure if this would be tight enough but it worked like a charm. 

On this shell, I created a thicker ridge at the point where shells are most vulnerable.  It gives the shells surprising durability.  As a test, I dropped this shell on the floor to see if it would crack.  It didn't come close.

This shell has yet to be sanded or lacquered so it isn't nearly as pretty as it will be.  For right now, the important thing is that it's holding the inner without the need of glue or putty.

The reason I want to avoid glue or putty, as much as possible, is the simple fact that glue and putty are not part of the design.  I don't want to take a chance on having soundwaves damped for no compelling reason.

I won't use this ridge on every design, but where it can provide an extra layer of protection, it's an option worth having.

Those look great! I don't see how it could get much better if you paired those with wooden inners. Looks to be about perfectly designed to me :D

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #3,085 of 5,004
Bill is quite the MAD MAN!!!!
beerchug.gif

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #3,086 of 5,004

Quote:

Also beside the full fledged Grado Headphones this thread and Bill's help have turned me on to I'm checking out IEM's anybody use Grado IE's??
Sleek Audio??
I'm trying to get info on what these typically sound like, even if trading some stuff to try them....

Check this thread out Ed:

Multi IEM review - 162 IEM's compared by Joker

I bought some Sunrise SW Xcapes not to long ago to use with my Clip, those are in Jokers review too. My short take is this, they rock and they come with nice case that holds both my Clip and phones. They're keepers. The one thing about Grado IEMS that I've heard though is they are not Grado in the sense that they dont do music like your full size Grado does. So dont buy them expecting them to be your SR60 in an IEM package.

BTW does anyone else find the site slow and glitchy lately?

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #3,087 of 5,004

Quote:
BTW does anyone else find the site slow and glitchy lately?

I haven't really noticed any glitches with the site.  However, I do find it to be quite slow at times.  Possibly, it's due to the site being free, but relying on advertisers to keep it going - which means allowing for their ads to load each time we go into a new page.  Either that, or the site has outgrown the server / service provider where it's located.

I'll have to check out the IEM review.  I currently have the Klipsch Image S4 ear buds.  I'm probably a few days away from the 30-day return window ending.  I like them, but at $79, I could also be influenced if something is better out their in a similar price range.

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #3,088 of 5,004
Hello guys! I've been off a long while, Its hard to catch up with some much awesomeness going on in here.

Quote:

Are those SFI planar drivers on the upper left?

Quote:
Just thought I'd post my latest Techheromods 225i w/ cocobolo GS1000i cups. 

man i want that design on some cups. stunning beautiful.

Quote:

what is that damping the driver?
and sorry about your cups. Ive seen your posts here and in the DYI cable gallery and you are darn good at it. imagine what would happen to me in my future attempts...

general question time!

whats the standard in grado mod cups, 1. the whole for the cable in the middle of the cup, so the cable has to be deattached to fit the driver in, or 2. some sort of 2 part cups with and U shaped cut for the cables to slide in? like the original sr60i/80i housing? and 3. the back of the cups like that GS1000 up here, is it a 3rd piece or only a bigger cup in one piece or two?

and also, who made those awesome 3B headbands?

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #3,089 of 5,004
Do any of you guys use an E7 with Grado's?? I'm curious about this little device and thinking I might trade a mod kit for one.....

I too am wondering how grados sound with the E7. I'm intending on picking one up mainly for the DAC and the possibility of getting an E9 later. If I'm able to snag one shortly, I'll be sure to write about it.

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #3,090 of 5,004
Hello guys! I've been off a long while, Its hard to catch up with some much awesomeness going on in here.

Are those SFI planar drivers on the upper left?

man i want that design on some cups. stunning beautiful.

what is that damping the driver?
and sorry about your cups. Ive seen your posts here and in the DYI cable gallery and you are darn good at it. imagine what would happen to me in my future attempts...

general question time!

whats the standard in grado mod cups, 1. the whole for the cable in the middle of the cup, so the cable has to be deattached to fit the driver in, or 2. some sort of 2 part cups with and U shaped cut for the cables to slide in? like the original sr60i/80i housing? and 3. the back of the cups like that GS1000 up here, is it a 3rd piece or only a bigger cup in one piece or two?

and also, who made those awesome 3B headbands?

I believe the GS1000 cup is a single outer shell, with a wooden inner as well. So assuming they are, it would be the matching U cuts that make a hole when slipped together. It's just a significantly bigger hunk of wood to begin with. The 3B band is made by somebody Big Bill knows.

Anybody have any preferences in finishing materials? I'm thinking an oil rubbed finish, just because it is virtually nonexistent in thickness, so all the benefits of the wood will be there. I know Bill doesn't finish the inside of the wood (possibly for that reason) but I think I'm going to finish it on my Jatoba ones when I get them done just to get the inside looking as good as the rest of it.

It looks like Danish, Tung, Teak, and "Antique Oil" (some big Minwax thing around here) are the options here. Anybody used any of them?

Edit: And the damping looks like Dynamat, minus the foil stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back