SR60-Mod
Mar 20, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #2,326 of 5,004
Initially that was the case, but after a couple of days they started accepting donations. I donated a little bit a few days ago.

Quote:

I like the idea, but last I heard (maybe this has changed) there wasn't any money actually going to Japan for reasons I don't really remember but roughly something along the lines of it wasn't being asked for. Someone may reply if that's inaccurate or the situation has changed. A lot of charities (even the big ones) put their money into a general pool and then divide as they feel they should. I recommend looking into if the money's actually guaranteed to be going where you want it to go.

AFAIK, IMO, IIRC etc.

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #2,327 of 5,004
Wouldn't the Red Cross be the place to go?? I know its been mentioned any sending it there will benefit current and future victims of the crazyness that Mother Nature throws at us.
So +1 on sending money from the nut in Allentown.

Mar 20, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #2,328 of 5,004
Yeah Bill, go for gold!

Mar 20, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #2,329 of 5,004

How would you prove they donated anything?

I couldn't, but if somebody wants that kind of karma, or guilt, they can have it.  I think most people would do the right thing.  I also think that there's a little more honor in this little community, perhaps because it is a little community.  Look at the March of Dimes thing where somebody says they're going to walk so many miles if you sponsor them.  They don't ask for a deposit.  They know that the average person who agrees to sponsor the walk is going to pay up.  

Now, I'm not a big fan of symbolic gestures unless they work.  If a walk-for-dimes approach creates an event that gets into the papers and raises money and awareness for some cause, that's fine.  But walking, by itself, is just walking.  I'm not into car washes and bake sales, though maybe the bake sales are more like what I'm suggesting.  There are churches where people give up two meals a month and turn the money they would have spent over to the hungry.  Likewise, I think we all have something we're either good at, do a lot or simply get paid for.  Why, in this age of specialization, should anybody leave what they're doing when they can simply shift some part of it to where they think it's most needed?  Why should a doctor or a lawyer ignore the premium value of their services to show up at a car wash?  It seems like the more efficient approach would be to simply dedicate the higher value of their special skills toward a good cause.

But that's just my two cents.  If I could fix cars, I'd use a brake job to fund some good.  If I sold houses, I'd take a piece of my next payday and pay it forward.  As it is, I'm a teacher so I'd either cut a little hole in my next paycheck or, as I have the ability to do so now, I'd take some hobby I'm already up to my eyelids in and dedicate some part of it to the greater good.  My sister started an organization called The Ripple Effect to help the homeless.  She was very much into "rippling effects."  Well, there's definitely the possibility of producing a ripple effect with this approach.  So, unless I get something in my In Box telling me to back off, I think I'm just going to do it and let the chips fall where they may.

Mar 20, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #2,330 of 5,004
It's a good idea Bill. On another forum I frequent we raised over $12000. (the power of the internet eh)

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #2,331 of 5,004
Bill--you are doing more Good than you'll ever know right here with us bud!!!!!!!

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #2,332 of 5,004
I think either of the ways you describe it can work fine Bill.  A very charitable act, good on you.

I bought the mesh for my cups off tenzip, he had posted a charitable thread of a similar nature, he was donating a portion of the proceeds as I recall.  Worked for me.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #2,333 of 5,004

It's a good idea Bill. On another forum I frequent we raised over $12000. (the power of the internet eh)

Jeez, that's awesome!

I think either of the ways you describe it can work fine Bill.  A very charitable act, good on you.

I bought the mesh for my cups off tenzip, he had posted a charitable thread of a similar nature, he was donating a portion of the proceeds as I recall.  Worked for me.

That's it!  Whoever said that capitalism has no heart?  I think we're proving otherwise.  As Alan Rickman said, as the Metatron in Dogma, "Be who you've always been . . . but just be this as well, from time to time."

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #2,334 of 5,004

Quote:

I couldn't, but if somebody wants that kind of karma, or guilt, they can have it.  I think most people would do the right thing.  I also think that there's a little more honor in this little community, perhaps because it is a little community.  Look at the March of Dimes thing where somebody says they're going to walk so many miles if you sponsor them.  They don't ask for a deposit.  They know that the average person who agrees to sponsor the walk is going to pay up.  

Now, I'm not a big fan of symbolic gestures unless they work.  If a walk-for-dimes approach creates an event that gets into the papers and raises money and awareness for some cause, that's fine.  But walking, by itself, is just walking.  I'm not into car washes and bake sales, though maybe the bake sales are more like what I'm suggesting.  There are churches where people give up two meals a month and turn the money they would have spent over to the hungry.  Likewise, I think we all have something we're either good at, do a lot or simply get paid for.  Why, in this age of specialization, should anybody leave what they're doing when they can simply shift some part of it to where they think it's most needed?  Why should a doctor or a lawyer ignore the premium value of their services to show up at a car wash?  It seems like the more efficient approach would be to simply dedicate the higher value of their special skills toward a good cause.

But that's just my two cents.  If I could fix cars, I'd use a brake job to fund some good.  If I sold houses, I'd take a piece of my next payday and pay it forward.  As it is, I'm a teacher so I'd either cut a little hole in my next paycheck or, as I have the ability to do so now, I'd take some hobby I'm already up to my eyelids in and dedicate some part of it to the greater good.  My sister started an organization called The Ripple Effect to help the homeless.  She was very much into "rippling effects."  Well, there's definitely the possibility of producing a ripple effect with this approach.  So, unless I get something in my In Box telling me to back off, I think I'm just going to do it and let the chips fall where they may.

That's a good point.

I wish I had a job... 
frown.gif
 I'll go see if I can't sell something and donate what I make, I think that would be a fine idea. 

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #2,335 of 5,004

Quote:
That's a good point.

I wish I had a job... 
frown.gif
 I'll go see if I can't sell something and donate what I make, I think that would be a fine idea. 

Ok, I've been building several DACs, and I'm going to donate all the proceeds from that. If anybody else wants anything built, the proceeds will go directly to charity

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #2,338 of 5,004
I'll see what I can get you.  Many folks like the PS1000 look.  Others like the SR325 look.  I'm partial to the look of the old PS1s, which is basically what the RS1 and SR60 are imitating.

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #2,339 of 5,004
Alright, humble pie time.  I complained earlier about boomy bass after punching two holes and I was really wrong.  It was the recordings and not the headphones.  I downloaded Audacity and noticed that the majority of what used to be my reference recordings were clip-tastic.  Dream Theater (kind of surprised), Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza (not really surprised), Coheed and Cambria (kind of surprised), at least half of my CD collection, majorly bricked and sounded grainy and boomy through my modded phones.  Then I put on albums that I used to think sounded kind of flat and, holy smokes, everything was so clean, delicate, full.  Compared to more expensive phones I don't know, but I had a serious grin on my face.  Pink Floyd, Rush, Joni Mitchell, Tom Waits, the first Lye By Mistake album, and, unsurprisingly, Audacity says none of them are clipped.

Good thing the MDR-V6 ain't a horrible fallback phone for the mundane stuff.  And now I got some partially modded SR325is for the woohoo, good stuff.  I know enough folks have kissed your a$$, BIll, but you really are the man and I look forward to catching up to the rest of you guys.

So who's got the ugliest recipe for humble pie cause I need a fat one?

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #2,340 of 5,004
Alright, humble pie time.  I complained earlier about boomy bass after punching two holes and I was really wrong.  It was the recordings and not the headphones.  I downloaded Audacity and noticed that the majority of what used to be my reference recordings were clip-tastic.  Dream Theater (kind of surprised), Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza (not really surprised), Coheed and Cambria (kind of surprised), at least half of my CD collection, majorly bricked and sounded grainy and boomy through my modded phones.  Then I put on albums that I used to think sounded kind of flat and, holy smokes, everything was so clean, delicate, full.  Compared to more expensive phones I don't know, but I had a serious grin on my face.  Pink Floyd, Rush, Joni Mitchell, Tom Waits, the first Lye By Mistake album, and, unsurprisingly, Audacity says none of them are clipped.

Good thing the MDR-V6 ain't a horrible fallback phone for the mundane stuff.  And now I got some partially modded SR325is for the woohoo, good stuff.  I know enough folks have kissed your a$$, BIll, but you really are the man and I look forward to catching up to the rest of you guys.

So who's got the ugliest recipe for humble pie cause I need a fat one?

I found how bad a lot of my stuff was as soon as I got the peak meter going in Foobar2000 and everything was spiking when anything big happened in the low end. I dropped the LF bands and now it's all good again. Never hits a peak outside of the meter anymore. But that really leaves a lot to be desired in the bass through my 125is so I'm really going to have to punch some holes when I open those cans up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back