SR60-Mod
Mar 19, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #2,311 of 5,004

Ack! Just received my Jaben Alumod cups today. The quality is fantastic and the service from Jaben was amazing - very fast shipping. My SR-60's are about 10 years old and needed a recable anyway so I thought I might as well add spacer cups and mod the drivers while I was at it. The outer cups came away from the driver housing with very little force and no heat required, I guess the glue was too old to work. Unfortunately one of the C clamps broke while getting them on the Jaben cup. Presumably the plastic broke under the slight stress as it was very old. Any one have any of these lying about from a broken pair perhaps? Not sure if super glue will hold and I've heard Grado doesn't send out small parts like this any more. btw, this is one of the most informative threads I've ever encountered on a message board - love the community spirit around here!

I can help you.  I've got a ton of stuff to put in the mail on Monday.  I'll just add yours onto it.  Send me a PM with your name and address and I'll bail you out.  It's the least I can do for the sunshine you just brought through the door.  By the way, those Jabens are awesome.  The man does impeccable work.

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #2,312 of 5,004

Quote:
Ack! Just received my Jaben Alumod cups today. The quality is fantastic and the service from Jaben was amazing - very fast shipping. My SR-60's are about 10 years old and needed a recable anyway so I thought I might as well add spacer cups and mod the drivers while I was at it. The outer cups came away from the driver housing with very little force and no heat required, I guess the glue was too old to work. Unfortunately one of the C clamps broke while getting them on the Jaben cup. Presumably the plastic broke under the slight stress as it was very old. Any one have any of these lying about from a broken pair perhaps? Not sure if super glue will hold and I've heard Grado doesn't send out small parts like this any more. btw, this is one of the most informative threads I've ever encountered on a message board - love the community spirit around here!

I know Bill just said he was going to help you out, I just wanted to interject this same thing happened to me. I called Grado and let them know my dilemma and they popped one in the mail to me, no muss, no fuss, no charge. Awesome customer service support from the guys that are the heart of this entire thread. Grado and Grado's rock! Thanks Grado
gs1000.gif

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #2,313 of 5,004
How much roughly were those Alumod shells?? They look awesome, awesome....

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #2,314 of 5,004
I want to do something for the victims in Japan but I don't want to run afoul of the rules and procedures here at HeadFi.  I'm thinking of offering some of those headphone shells for sale and then donating the proceeds to the relief effort.  I was thinking of putting in an ad in the For Sale section and mentioning that the proceeds were to benefit the victims.  Is there any reason why I shouldn't do that?  Is there a special set of procedures you'd follow?  Is it kitschy or corny to do so?  What say you fine people out there in cyberspace?

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #2,316 of 5,004

Quote:
I want to do something for the victims in Japan but I don't want to run afoul of the rules and procedures here at HeadFi.  I'm thinking of offering some of those headphone shells for sale and then donating the proceeds to the relief effort.  I was thinking of putting in an ad in the For Sale section and mentioning that the proceeds were to benefit the victims.  Is there any reason why I shouldn't do that?  Is there a special set of procedures you'd follow?  Is it kitschy or corny to do so?  What say you fine people out there in cyberspace?

Mighty fine and honorable gesture good Sir..........   Not corny by any means and anybody who might think so should reconsider what our fellow human man or women is dealing with.......  

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #2,317 of 5,004

I say go for it but be sure your donation is actually being used for aid unlike half of the groups that popped up during the Haiti efforts and we just pocketing the money and hurting everybody.

Anything other than shells you'd be doing this for. I'd like to help, but honestly, since I have already bought some from you recently that are on the way, I can't see the point in wanting more I can't use. New headband maybe? Gimbal mounts, gimbals, anything else you have mentioned possibly working on?

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #2,318 of 5,004

Quote:

I sent UE a PM about this, hopefully he'll drop by. 

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #2,319 of 5,004

Quote:

I say go for it but be sure your donation is actually being used for aid unlike half of the groups that popped up during the Haiti efforts and we just pocketing the money and hurting everybody.

Anything other than shells you'd be doing this for. I'd like to help, but honestly, since I have already bought some from you recently that are on the way, I can't see the point in wanting more I can't use. New headband maybe? Gimbal mounts, gimbals, anything else you have mentioned possibly working on?

That's an interesting question.  I thought of the shells because I'd just made them up but there's a lot there to consider.  Once I get these projects off on Monday, I'll have the freedom to do some other things, like make headbands, wooden gimbal holders, wooden y-splitters and wooden terminal covers.  I'm currently figuring out how best to make leather cushions.  The leather headbands turned out to be easier to make than I'd originally thought.

I'm sorry.  I didn't mean for this come out like an infomercial for Chamois Wow.  I was just thinking that the best charity is the charity that taps what you're good at or invested in.  Rather than stage a car wash or something, I should use what I'm into.  I've got some assorted headgear that I'll post in the For Sale section but once it goes, I'll be back to square one, so I thought of leading off with what I'm doing already.

SML raises an important question about which charities to give to.  I'd want to stick with the name brands - American Red Cross, etc.  I'll look at the possibilities.  This is the first time I've thought of headphone modders as a force for good rather than as a group specifically dedicated to good sound.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #2,320 of 5,004
Here's an idea.  Instead of taking money and then having to figure out where to send it, I could use the stuff to commit other people to make their own donation.  Then, I would be out of the loop, as far as money is concerned.  I could raise money without having to touch it.  I'd say, "I'll make this, or I've made this and you can have it, if you send aid to Japan."  This is something modders could do, a kind of charitable stimulus.  Would that fly?  It seems like a less perilous way to do something charitable.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #2,321 of 5,004

Quote:
Here's an idea.  Instead of taking money and then having to figure out where to send it, I could use the stuff to commit other people to make their own donation.  Then, I would be out of the loop, as far as money is concerned.  I could raise money without having to touch it.  I'd say, "I'll make this, or I've made this and you can have it, if you send aid to Japan."  This is something modders could do, a kind of charitable stimulus.  Would that fly?  It seems like a less perilous way to do something charitable.

[size=medium]
What can I say Bill...you DA MAN! Hats off to you (again) and all the other Grado-modders here.
[/size]

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #2,322 of 5,004

Quote:

What can I say Bill...you DA MAN! Hats off to you (again) and all the other Grado-modders here.

x2 :D

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #2,323 of 5,004

Quote:

How would you prove they donated anything?

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #2,324 of 5,004

I like the idea, but last I heard (maybe this has changed) there wasn't any money actually going to Japan for reasons I don't really remember but roughly something along the lines of it wasn't being asked for. Someone may reply if that's inaccurate or the situation has changed. A lot of charities (even the big ones) put their money into a general pool and then divide as they feel they should. I recommend looking into if the money's actually guaranteed to be going where you want it to go.

AFAIK, IMO, IIRC etc.

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #2,325 of 5,004
RESPECT

I checked "La Croix Rouge Française" and it seems that they are in Japan priority at the moment. You cannot really select "I want my money to go to Japan" but it seems that everything is going there... oh yeah I'm french, hence the french RedCross, but I think it should be possible somewhere else then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back