SR60-Mod
Mar 18, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #2,282 of 5,004

Bill, I am impressed how concentric your holes are. No matter what I do, things never line up perfectly and aren't totally concentric. I wish I could get things looking as nice as yours. What kind of hole saws do you actually use?

I got mine at Lowe's.  I think they're made by Lenox.  They're the kind that have an adapter that lets you stabilize them with two holes in the top, each on side of the center hole.  This is not the kind where you have to tighten a bit.  Those take too long to change out.  These let you align the two extra holes with stabilizing bolts that you lock down.  I don't actually use the stabilizing bolts.  I like a tighter connection between the hole saw and the adapter, even if that means I have to use a screwdriver and/or a wrench to unscrew the hole saw after a few runs.  

Here's what you want to do:

1. Start with the larger circle and drill until you've got a groove.  Don't drill through, just far enough in to create that guiding groove.  

2. Swap out for the smaller circle.  I make three cuts.  Other people make two.  If you're doing two, then cut through with your center.  The hole saws lead off with a drill bit so you're using the same hole.  Cut the center hole.

3. Go back to your large circle.  Cut again, using the groove you've already created as your guide.

4. I do the extra third cut to make the double wall.  I cut as deep as I want the inner shell to extend into the double wall.

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #2,283 of 5,004

Just finished installing the braziliean rosewood skinnies that Bill sent me. The low end response is amazing!
Everything is just so rich, full and deep sounding. There's such real depth without a hint of it being muddy.
I can't even listen to my other cans, they all sound so lackluster in comparison now. Ridiculous!

You rock!  I'm glad somebody echoes my feelings about Brazilian rosewood.  It is sensational wood.

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #2,284 of 5,004
Well all of those shells are gonna make even more people very happy with their grados. Just received mine cocobolo shells from Billa, and like everyone else, all I can say is wow. I am using a GradoSR60i with the cover removed and 5 holes punched. It sounded much better than the original sound, but it didn't sound as full as i wanted it to. When I added the cocobolo shells, it increased the "warmth" that I was looking for in a headphone. The bass has much more of a punch to it, which is nice. Plus I can still smell the wood and it makes me happy...which is definitely a benefit if I've ever seen one

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #2,286 of 5,004
Sorry, Bill - I seem to have missed a few (hundred) posts here - are you selling the wooden housings ? Can I send you my 60s, some money, and have you recable and rehouse them for a fee ? Forgive my ignorance, but you seem to be tooled up for serious production :)

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #2,288 of 5,004

Quote:
Sorry, Bill - I seem to have missed a few (hundred) posts here - are you selling the wooden housings ? Can I send you my 60s, some money, and have you recable and rehouse them for a fee ? Forgive my ignorance, but you seem to be tooled up for serious production :)

I sent Bill a PM asking the same...lets hope those aren't all for his personal collection LOL 

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #2,289 of 5,004
@ Bill - Damn, Grado is probably seeing red right about now...that is an amazing feat though. Look at all the shells! If only Brazilian Rosewood wasn't such a pain to get shipped here. I would nick a pair off you in a flash. Having said that, the Cocobolos are holding up really well. They never fail to impress...

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #2,290 of 5,004

Quote:
@ Bill - Damn, Grado is probably seeing red right about now...that is an amazing feat though. Look at all the shells! If only Brazilian Rosewood wasn't such a pain to get shipped here. I would nick a pair off you in a flash. Having said that, the Cocobolos are holding up really well. They never fail to impress...

As far as I know Cocobolo is in the same family as Rosewood.  While it may not have the gorgeously contrasting colors of BR I've seen some really stunning Cocobolo. It's a favorite of custom cue makers.   The Price of BR is silly high because a lot of it goes to luthiers who make classical guitars.  They pay a premium for it because your typical classical with BR back and sides start at around $6000 for a newly made instrument.  If you're lucky you can pick up an older BR classical for a couple grand.

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #2,291 of 5,004
oh lawd.. can't wait till mine arrive 
o2smile.gif

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #2,292 of 5,004
Guys I went to the pain management doctor today for the first time and he started retooling my pain meds....I can finally type comfortably, walk easier, more appetite, phew....I was really hurting and for about 3 months there in severe pain, last night I was brought to tears by the pain and I went in today with an attitude of please just help me the best you can. I was so afraid because I'm a recovering alcoholic that they'd try and nix alot of the meds but instead they added more, upped some and put me on one very serious one...I'm so grateful to be out of pain, and thanks for talking last night Bill!!! 

Now thats alot of shells...oops there goes that black helicopter again, damn I keep seeing that same one...whats up with that...!!!!

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #2,293 of 5,004
Wow..that's awesome.  I have some experience with chemical dependency and the recovery programs and I know they can be real hard headed about such things.  And a big hell yeah for making the turn!! Many don't. Life is soooo much more interesting on nothing but air and music, oh and sex.  But wouldn't you know it, they want to tell you "no sex for a year" (unless you're married) ....What!! LOL

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #2,294 of 5,004

Quote:
As far as I know Cocobolo is in the same family as Rosewood.  While it may not have the gorgeously contrasting colors of BR I've seen some really stunning Cocobolo. It's a favorite of custom cue makers.   The Price of BR is silly high because a lot of it goes to luthiers who make classical guitars.  They pay a premium for it because your typical classical with BR back and sides start at around $6000 for a newly made instrument.  If you're lucky you can pick up an older BR classical for a couple grand.

You're probably right...it's just nice to have choices :) You know, listen to Cocobolo one day and Brazilian Rosewood the next. I think the stark difference between Cocobolo and Brazilian Rosewood is that the the latter is a lot harder to cut. That is what I understand from Bill.

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #2,295 of 5,004
I want to get myself wood cups soon for my SR80i, but I am still not sure if I want to do the venting and damping of the drivers because I actually love the way the SR80i sounds right now with the simple reverse quarter mod on the comfies. All I want is more clarity, separation, and detail. Will putting wood cups on my SR80i do that? Or should I also poke some holes and damp the back of the driver? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back