SR60-Mod
Mar 12, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #2,146 of 5,004
I think one thing I think is worth saying is the Grado offering forward beginning with the SR225 is when Grado started matching each earspeaker (left and right) within closer tolerances, the same tolerences from the SR225i's to all the way of top of the line.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #2,147 of 5,004
Purchased some Grado L cush pads and noticed that the foam is made of a different cell than the flats. Also they have some type of coating on the thin taper that I assume is for sound. So my ears like and at the same time dis-like them. First they fit nice IMO right around my ears instead flat on top. But they also allow my ears to touch the grill area where the white cloth used to be so that will take some getting used to. Hurts a little.

But as far as sound goes. I'm noticing more detail in songs that I have listened to extensively before. I'ts pretty cool to hear more of these little sounds, clicks and breaths the artist take while singing. As for bass you do lose a little and my 60'S are at ten holes already. A little more mid is coming through but I think the trade off is fine. Sound stage seem's closer than with the flats to me. Now running through my Qube3 amp brings even more detail out and it's pretty amazing.  

These pads expose more of the speaker housing than the quarter mod does so I know that's why I can pick up more detail as well as putting the speakers closer to my ear. 

I'm happy with my buy and at $20.00 that makes it sweeter.

Now for some wood shells............

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #2,149 of 5,004

Quote:
I just did the mod where I remove the cloth over the face of the earspeaker and put some blu-rak over the magnet cover , I , modded it , and I offecialy belong to this amazing thread.

Prepare for amazing things to come......
L3000.gif
  Your ears will thank you.....

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #2,150 of 5,004
Beauty and the Beast - This thread has helped me create both at the same time.

I used to own a stock SR80i and enjoyed it, when I stumbled on Bilavideo's videos and this thread. It took a while to leave reservations behind and start with the mods. I started out venting the drivers and dampening the plastic housing with felt. Yet, the virus had settled in me and this is where I am now:

- punched all 10 holes
- removed the white linen
- liberated the driver
- dampened the driver back and basket with Dynamat
- recabled the cans with Mogami Mini Quad
- installed the drivers in Mahogany housings (thank you Cabillas for providing these well-crafted shells)
- JMoney lambskin headband

Well, what should I say? I am no silver-tongued audiophile. I just enjoy the music of my choice coming from my Cowon S9. But what I can say is this: The mods have changed my Grados into a beauty, in terms of comfort, aesthetics and sound. She (as I am truly 'in love' with my Beauty) produces voluminous yet tight and punchy bass, the mids are well balanced and the highs not too harsh or sibilant. And the best of it, the soundstage has increased dramatically, extending horizontally as well as depthwise, taking the artist away from me, leaving me behind as if sitting in the first row, the artists a little raised, creating a musical bubble around me.It feels as if it were possible only now to fully enjoy the full spectrum of my favourite music.
However, She has also proved to be a demanding beast. She despises low quality recordings, leaving you behind wondering about all those terrible artefacts and sibilance typical of high compression. But when you choose to have Her dine on low-compression or even lossless music, She will definitely delight you.
My next project will be to mod my 325s. Just waiting for some of Bila's Cocobolo shells in pleasant anticipation. Hope they will arrive soon.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #2,151 of 5,004

Quote:
I just did the mod where I remove the cloth over the face of the earspeaker and put some blu-rak over the magnet cover , I , modded it , and I offecialy belong to this amazing thread.

Welcome to the asylum!!!! Ain't it cool!!!

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #2,152 of 5,004
I have also added cush-L to the mix.  I have 10 holes punched, blu tack on the back of the driver, white cloth removed, stock plastic front cups, east indian rosewood slip over shells, and tenzip's mesh.

With the cush-m (bowl pads) the sound is 10/10, but the comfort is 7.5- 8/10.
With the cush-L (bagel pads) the sound is 8/10, but the comfort is 10/10.

I want the bass of the bowls, but the comfort of the bagels.

Thoughts on how to jack the bass up, when using the bagels?  They are just SO comfortable, that I need to get them right.

Perhaps cocobolo has better bass than the east indian rosewood?  I have access to this material, and could experiment, but am still smarting from the failed $40 black and white ebony experiment.

Thoughts from the collective?

Mar 13, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #2,154 of 5,004

Quote:

I want the bass of the bowls, but the comfort of the bagels.

You can slide some foam under the bowls, it's more comfortable on your ears. If the sound changes too much you can quarter mod the foam, but keep comfort in mind.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #2,155 of 5,004
Mark--The shell may be the thing holding back your bass. I don't know how much hardness your shells have compared to like Cocobolo etc..you have a mesh screen in the cap right? Try finding a piece of thin foam like I did and cut it the same size as the screen and put it in the shell up against the screen and see if you get the definition in the low end I'm getting...its worth a try?? Others say they have done this and didn't like the sound, but I'm telling you honestly it made a huge improvement in my sound...maybe you'll have the same luck as I with the foam insert.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #2,156 of 5,004
I think both are worthy suggestions, and if I had a local source for 1/4 inch foam, I would try both.  There is a place in my home town called "The Foam Store", I will assume they might have some!

As for EIR vs Cocobolo, the only direct comparison I have is a set of coco'd 325's I tried at a recent meet.  They were modded, but the current owner did not know the full story.  They had the giant foam, and had bass that matched my bass with the bowl pads.  They did have some amount of foam over the driver, under the large cush, so that might be the place to go exploring.

Tks boys,

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #2,157 of 5,004

Quote:
With the ring removed, you get to control how deep you want the cups to go into the shells. A little bit of hot glue prevents them from being pushed too far in to the point that it kills the cable. This mod is every bit worth the effort. Bill will tell you that also as he did the exact same thing...in fact, he was the one who strongly recommended the mod and honestly, it probably was the best thing anyone could do to a 325is.

I re-did the dampening using less felt and tacky stuff and it worked out very nicely, thanks.  Gonna listen to this setup a bit and try out the cloth and ring removal.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #2,159 of 5,004
For all that want to try what was very successful for me..I used foam with a thickness of 1/16", almost paper thin and only applied it behind the screen mesh leaving as much wood exposed as possible, it brings up the bass and makes it more defined, so its a a disk of foam almost paper thin and only covers the inside surface of the screen mesh at the top of the shell...Thin foam is the key, its works, I have used it twice with plastic shells and wood and both times it was the icing on the cake so to speak.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #2,160 of 5,004
Pretty sure that's a 3.5mm jack y-splitter with it's innards ripped out.

Quote:
Stratocaster nice job overall.  Where did you source the splitter for your headphone cable from?

Cheers,
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back