SR60-Mod
Mar 5, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #1,936 of 5,004
How many of you actually experienced an improvement by removing the white linen on the front?
I'm going to do the dampening of the magnet but not the foam/felt on the inner shell, since I'm not venting the drivers.. I'm quite hesitant to vent the drivers since it's irreversible..
Zebrawood cups coming soon =D

I noticed it, though it's the only change I've made other than the quarter mod (though I made mine too big - more like toonie mod :frowning2: ). You can even pop the linen back in front temporarily if you do the quarter mod to experiment and hear the difference.

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #1,937 of 5,004
So I am no audiophile, and I have been looking at my new Grado SR60i and I have been trying to read through all of these feeds, but I know over time, ideas change and new things come out of this. So my question is, for someone that has no access to  silver cabling or wood casing, what are the best mods to give me the best sound?

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #1,938 of 5,004
There may be other ideas, but my thoughts on how best to get the best sound out of the 60's with the least dough, would be to remove the white cloth from the front of the front cup, punch some (4-6 holes) holes, and buy some bowl pads.  Should cost you about $20 for the pads.  The rest is just mustering up the guts to do it!

Mar 5, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #1,940 of 5,004
[size=12pt]Alright boys and girls, my new leather headband has arrived! [/size]

[size=12pt][/size]
[size=12pt] [/size]
[size=12pt][size=small][/size][/size]
[size=12pt] [/size]
[size=12pt] [/size]
[size=12pt] [/size]
[size=12pt] [/size]
[size=12pt][size=small] [/size][/size]
[size=12pt][size=small]Bill.[/size][/size]

Mar 5, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #1,941 of 5,004
^ Those look great. Do you have any idea if he'll ship to the UK? Or maybe I could get one through you? I'll PM you anyhow, I definitely would like one those. Perhaps a bit wider though, to help deal with these extremely heavy alumium cups.

I began work on my Jaben cups today, the pics show the story. I'm teaming up with Bill to turn these into budget PS1000 knock-offs hehe. He's going to build me some cocobolo inners for these shells, I'm excited about how they will sound afterwards. As they are now, with jumbos, I just know that some cocobolo in there is going to absolutely rock.

Mar 5, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #1,942 of 5,004

Quote:

I certainly did, enough of one to realize that the less there is between you and the diaphragm the better! Here, see what I mean..........

Would you please share how you did this? I've been itching to do something similar, and what you've done is way better than what I could scrap together.

Also, PM sent about the leather headband.

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #1,943 of 5,004
Big Bill- PM sent about the leather headbands...very cool stuff. Very cool..!!! Call me sometime when you get free..
Quote:
So I am no audiophile, and I have been looking at my new Grado SR60i and I have been trying to read through all of these feeds, but I know over time, ideas change and new things come out of this. So my question is, for someone that has no access to  silver cabling or wood casing, what are the best mods to give me the best sound?

arnold006287- I'm no audiophile either but when i started doing these my onl thought was to do a couple things and then quit and listen, well that didn't happen. I would suggest you do these....

1) Linen off
2) I got the large earpads from headroom...they are like  $20 and make the Grado's very comfortable to wear a long time.
3) Take the cups apart thats where you'll get big improvements with no cost or very small cost...I used a hairdryer and heated them, pulled, heated, pulled and you'll eventually heat them enough where they will pull apart its not that hard and keep in mind thats the hardest thing just about.
4) Poke the holes- I started with 4 now at all 10
5) Dynamat- THIS is the reason to crack open the shells, the dynamat takes the edge off the high end, it smooths everything out. Its not taking anything away it just making them easy to listen to and the ear fatigue factor is lowered to like 1....Do the holes, do the Dynamat if you can,,,guy on here may have extra bits of it laying around, thats how I got mine.

Those would be the biggest improvement...the earpads and the dynamat are the only expense....keep following this thread and see if anybody offers up some.....
Have fun...thats key!!!

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #1,944 of 5,004
felt a little itchy, took the linen off with my art knife... i hear what everyone was talking about now.... god i hope my cups come quick cos the sibilance is even more apparent now.... gotta do the dynamat thing and pray it controls the highs... overall nice presentation though.. feels more like a live performance rather than a studio..

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #1,945 of 5,004
Dynamat is your ticket Saintkeat!!!! Its the most underated mod..subtle but exactly what the doctor ordered for ya i think..let us know..!!!!!!!!!

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #1,946 of 5,004

Quote:
felt a little itchy, took the linen off with my art knife... i hear what everyone was talking about now.... god i hope my cups come quick cos the sibilance is even more apparent now.... gotta do the dynamat thing and pray it controls the highs... overall nice presentation though.. feels more like a live performance rather than a studio..

1. Dynamat cuts sibilance.
2. Wood cuts the rest

in my experience.

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #1,947 of 5,004

Quote:
Would you please share how you did this? I've been itching to do something similar, and what you've done is way better than what I could scrap together.

Also, PM sent about the leather headband.

Hello Bob, I'd be glad to share how I did it with you! First, I liberated the driver and grill from the plastic shell as seen here by Bilavideo except I used a small flat head screwdriver instead of the steak knife. Then I liberated the grill from the driver using the same small flat head screwdriver using the same method. One you have the grill piece free from the driver cut from hole to hole on the outer row with a small pair of dyke's. That will remove the majority of the old grill from the remaining "ring". You can then use a Dremill tool or rounded file and clean up the edges. Then simply cut some screen/grate type material to size and secure it to the ring with super glue. Next paint your new grill with a few light coats of Plasti-Coat brand spray paint and you're done! :wink:

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #1,948 of 5,004

Quote:
[size=12pt]Alright boys and girls, my new leather headband has arrived! [/size]

[size=12pt][/size]
[size=12pt] [/size]
[size=12pt] [/size]
[size=12pt] [/size]
[size=12pt] [/size]
[size=12pt] [/size]
[size=12pt][size=small]This headband was hand crafted from quality leather by a skilled leather artist I had the fortune to meet here locally. After I told him of Bilavideo and his merry band of modders, he said he would make as many of these in any tint (he mixes his own dye) as we want for only thirty dollars each! I am not affiliated with him in anyway other than a satisfied customer and since I’m unsure of the rules regarding this sort of thing, you should probably drop me a PM for his contact information if you are interested……. [/size][/size]
[size=12pt][size=small] [/size][/size]
[size=12pt][size=small]Bill.[/size][/size]

Very nice Bill... Your man did a great job and the color really plays well with your cups....... 
L3000.gif
 Keep going

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #1,949 of 5,004
I will enjoy mine as it will match up nice with my color scheme...Thanks Big Bil!!!

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #1,950 of 5,004
everything looks good that everyone is doing.............. man i cant wait to get my shells. might just have to drive down to florida 
smile.gif
. im like a kid at Christmas waiting to open my presents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back