SR60-Mod
Mar 3, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #1,891 of 5,004
I did consider buying a cheapie hair dryer, but for a single use it seems like money thrown away - I am going to give the 'steam the cups open' tactic a shot and find some sort of plastic glue that doesnt set like SupaGlue for reassembly.

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #1,894 of 5,004
I will say that much for AKG - they make it very easy to pull the K601/K701 apart. I have a sneaking suspicion that we are supposed to do some periodic cleaning - our ears and our headphones :)

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #1,899 of 5,004

Cheers, wil get my hands on some different pads, where is best to order them from? Without them costing the earth....or do I just have to bite the bullet ?
Quote:
I think the general consensus is that everyone will have favorite pads, no matter which headphones and how much they have been modded. I love my flats now with my Mahogany cups but that might change when I pick up my hardwoods (likely Paduak, Leopardwood, and Bubinga tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif
). You really need to play around and try different ones out to see what you like.

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #1,900 of 5,004
Mar 4, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #1,901 of 5,004

Quote:
I got my pads here:
http://www.headphone.com/accessories/grado-earpads-large-pair.php
and then got two used pair of old Grado 60 and 125 and kept one pad stock, quarter mod to the other and bought the lg bowls....

Very nice Ed.

I prefer the bowls to the comfies sound wise, but they can be a bit uncomfortable sometimes. The biggest change in sound for me though was when I got a set of jumbos. They didnt pair well with my HF2. They recessed the mids too much and had a suffocating effect on the highs. They behave much different on the woodied 60's. They provide more soundstage, good mids, and toned down highs. The comfies and bowls give a very energenetic presentation, while the the jumbo's give me a very laid back Grado. Paired with the rich and warm tone of the Cocobolos they are a very non fatiguing sonic treat.

I'm listening to some Neil Young at the moment, Natural Beauty from Harvest Moon...

I heard a perfect echo die
Into an anonymous wall
of digital sound
Somewhere deep inside
Of my soul.

Simply amazing stuff from both my headphones and Neil
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #1,902 of 5,004

Quote:
Grados look and feel tenacious and downright painful. Yeah, maybe great for Rock and some genres, but what the hell?
confused_face(1).gif

With all due respect to the granny packing division of this granny company, even the freaking box is uncomfortable.

Like JEEEEEEEEEEZ.

Different strokes for different folks, indeed. Your first impression is right on the spot though. WT...H

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #1,904 of 5,004

Quote:

Very nice Ed.

I prefer the bowls to the comfies sound wise, but they can be a bit uncomfortable sometimes. The biggest change in sound for me though was when I got a set of jumbos. They didnt pair well with my HF2. They recessed the mids too much and had a suffocating effect on the highs. They behave much different on the woodied 60's. They provide more soundstage, good mids, and toned down highs. The comfies and bowls give a very energenetic presentation, while the the jumbo's give me a very laid back Grado. Paired with the rich and warm tone of the Cocobolos they are a very non fatiguing sonic treat.

I'm listening to some Neil Young at the moment, Natural Beauty from Harvest Moon...

I heard a perfect echo die
Into an anonymous wall
of digital sound
Somewhere deep inside
Of my soul.

Simply amazing stuff from both my headphones and Neil
smily_headphones1.gif

I also use the Jumbos with the SR80i and the sound for me is also warm and rich. They have developed a deep bass and are so much more comfortable to wear. Out of the many configurations that I've tried, this has been the best for me with a more natural sound and more sense of space in the music.

They are expensive for UK people to buy, but I would now not consider a Grado without Jumbos. If I upgrade to a better Grado, the pads would have to come with me to the shop for the demo!!

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #1,905 of 5,004
Good day for me today, got my cable and jack in for the recable. 

Plus I was able to visit a lumber mill in Central Jersey between work events today. Came away with Bloodwood, Bubinga, Lacewood, Purpleheart, and Padauk. Not huge amounts of any (1/2 through 1 board foot) but enough to play around with. Going to look into getting my own drill press tomorrow from a friend then away I will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back