SR60-Mod
Feb 23, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #1,666 of 5,004
For a CDN distributor of parts, I would think Solen (QC based in MTL) or http://www.partsconnexion.com/ (based here in Burlington ON) would do the trick to avoid border fees or high shipping - though I would comment that many times the shipping cost combined with lower prices in the US is the way to go, especially if dealing with an agreeable party who will send items to you USPS.

Back to the mods for the 60's.

Having complained that the 2 inch hole saw generated a hole too loose to press fit the stock front cup on my Grado's, I dug around in my speaker building box, and located my circle cutter - a variable sized cutting device perfect for use in a drill press, capable of making holes anywhere between 1-5 inches or so.

Some trial and error later, and I have some East Indian Rosewood cups that are the right size (with minimal Dremel work) for a press fit with the stock Grado cups.  I received some of Tenzip's screens, and those should go right in there too.

Now we are getting somewhere - but I struggle with how to cut the 1/2 holes to allow the cables to escape - on my test cups, I have split off pieces of the edge of the cup, trying to use my drill press to cut a hole 1/2 or so centered on the edge.

My next thought is to clamp my 2 cups together, and drill down the middle of them, thus creating a 1/2 hole in each.

Is that how you guys do it, or are you using a Dremel, or did you mill that in before cutting the cups etc?

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #1,668 of 5,004

Quote:
Now we are getting somewhere - but I struggle with how to cut the 1/2 holes to allow the cables to escape - on my test cups, I have split off pieces of the edge of the cup, trying to use my drill press to cut a hole 1/2 or so centered on the edge.

My next thought is to clamp my 2 cups together, and drill down the middle of them, thus creating a 1/2 hole in each.

Is that how you guys do it, or are you using a Dremel, or did you mill that in before cutting the cups etc?

I had the same problem at first, what I wound up doing after splitting several cups with a drill bit (even starting small and working bigger) was using a square 3/16" thick file. I just laid it flat and filed out a perfectly square notch that accepted my cable with no splitting. Then I used smaller finishing files (rounded and such) to alter my notch as I wanted. There are other ways (saw/chisel) but this was the quickest and easiest for me with acceptable results.

I need to look into the circle cutter, not something I am familiar with, sounds interesting. Especially if I can stop buying so many hole saws (I now need a 2-3/8" one).

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #1,669 of 5,004
I had not considered using a file.  I only have one of those.

I may experiment with the Dremel.

The circle cutter you want is like this - http://www.randystacye.com/images/diyneedleskimmer/circlecutter.jpg  I wish I would have thought about it, I could have saved myself buying the 2 inch hole saw.  I do like the 2.5 inch one, as combined with the circle cutter, the resulting wall thickness for the cups is fine - it would look cooler if it was thicker, but I am done investing in this stuff, until I am WOWED by the sound.

Safest for use with a drill press.  It WILL smoke as it goes through wood, do not be alarmed.  Outside use recommended!

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #1,670 of 5,004
I know you're all American and like your Imperial sizes, but if you could get hold of a 50mm holesaw (2" is 51mm) if would probably be a more snug fit. Just a suggestion.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #1,672 of 5,004
I don't have my digital calipers anymore, or I would give you the specifics of the piece I built with my variable circle cutter.

As a Canuck, we use metric too, but as the forum is mostly US, and the hole saws in the stores are mostly from the US...

I would bet 48-49mm is the money size - perhaps one of those cats with the cool milled alu pieces could chime in?  Those must have been precision cut!

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #1,673 of 5,004

Quote:
I was going to build myself a clone of the RA-1 but someone (in another thread) mentionned that the A47 (http://benfeist.com/a47/) might be better suited for my Grados. Do you have experience with these two amps? From looking at both online, it seems the A47 is a bit more involved with a regulated power supply section and that might be a little more than I can handle for my first DIY project.

Yeah, that was me. I'd recommend splitting the boards if you're doing a desktop build. Also, since you have the space, I'd upgrade to an alps pot (I think they call them blue velvet). It's still a beginner's project, and is really quite inexpensive, so why not. Go for it, and let me know how it sounds.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #1,674 of 5,004

Quote:
I was going to build myself a clone of the RA-1 but someone (in another thread) mentionned that the A47 (http://benfeist.com/a47/) might be better suited for my Grados.

I have a A47 and love it with Grado's, actually I believe it was designed specifically for use with them. Unfortunately it has been packed away since I sold my SR225's and being on the road I am unable to get to it for the time being. I look forward to retrieving it now that I have these modded SR60's.

I have not heard the RA-1, only cmoy and it's variants, which the A47 beats hands down.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #1,675 of 5,004
I need to look into those hole cutters more and see if I can find one reasonably priced. 

I might have a source from some Paduak and some other woods if i can get there my next free chance (at the earliest next weekend). Should be interesting. At the very least I need another hole saw to change to a slip over shell. Will get me some more wall thickness and allow more viewable surface area of the nicer woods. And if worse comes to worse, I still have a foot of 5/4 Mahogany left over.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #1,676 of 5,004

Quote:

lol, those are like mine. 
biggrin.gif

I liked them for a very short amount of time. The bass was much too boomy.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #1,677 of 5,004
What amp is that?

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #1,680 of 5,004
it's sexy as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back