SR60-Mod
Feb 14, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #1,385 of 5,004
I'm considering trying this. Quarter mod if necessary, along with dampening the cups, maybe replacing them if I can source them for a reasonable price. Is there any real advantage to using the sr225i as the starting point?

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #1,386 of 5,004
Hi Everyone,

Alright, first and foremost I would like to thank Bill.  I have honestly never met a person on any forum who has been so gracious and generous.  Below is the first attempt at the grado sr 60 mod.  I used jatoba for the shells... Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers,
Al

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #1,387 of 5,004
That looks awesome man! Can you provide some details? Are those 1 or two pieces? Lathed or cut. I wish I could get mine to look like that, but I have to be happy with simple rings for now.

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #1,388 of 5,004
Hi Sharkz,

I went with a one piece design using a drill press. I decided on the first go to still keep the driver encased in the plastic but will soon liberate the driver. Thanks for the kind words.

Al

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #1,389 of 5,004

Quote:
I'm considering trying this. Quarter mod if necessary, along with dampening the cups, maybe replacing them if I can source them for a reasonable price. Is there any real advantage to using the sr225i as the starting point?

To my ear, no. I've modded both and there has been 0 difference between the two. Sell the 225is and pick up some 60is and a pair of woodies.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #1,390 of 5,004
To my ear, no. I've modded both and there has been 0 difference between the two. Sell the 225is and pick up some 60is and a pair of woodies.

Great, thanks for your reply. I don't have a 225i, just wondered where a good starting point would be.

I know jmoney sells them, but are there any other providers at reasonable prices? I'm just wondering what options are available. I've read this entire thread but may have missed some. If it's not ok to say it here, I'm open to receiving PMs about it.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #1,391 of 5,004

I started thinking about all those people who can't afford the exotic tonewoods, students and others who, for one reason or another, want to dump the plastic but just can't afford to grab the brass ring.  That's when it occurred to me that poplar might be a good place to start.

Popular is an inexpensive wood that skews toward the softer side.  Its light weight and light color make it an interesting alternative to the more expensive tonewoods.

While it doesn't hold a candle to mahogany, cocobolo or Brazilian rosewood, poplar is still a better choice than plastic.  What's more, because of its lower price, there's less of a need to stick to a single color pattern.  The nearly broke could still display high creativity in coming up with new looks for Grados.

​
These are not completely finished.  They need another three coats and some additional sanding to be anywhere close to complete, but the sound on these - while not as defined as it would be in the mahoganies, cocobolos and Brazilian rosewood - is still a step up from the original plastic.  

I'm not presenting these as the acme of woodwork.  I just think they represent some of the many possibilities waiting to be explored.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #1,392 of 5,004

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Alright, first and foremost I would like to thank Bill.  I have honestly never met a person on any forum who has been so gracious and generous.  Below is the first attempt at the grado sr 60 mod.  I used jatoba for the shells... Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers,
Al

Thanks, Al.  I just brought the crow bar.  You guys have been prying the door open.  Those headphones of yours look especially sweet.  Nice work!

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #1,393 of 5,004
If you saved the sawdust from all those doughnuts, you could probably heat an entire block! You are an inspiration, and a self contained industry all at once. Any impressions on Poplar vs. Red Oak (as they both tend to be priced similarly) I'm guessing that the oak, being denser, is tighter and slightly punchier?
Quote:

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #1,394 of 5,004

Quote:

I started thinking about all those people who can't afford the exotic tonewoods, students and others who, for one reason or another, want to dump the plastic but just can't afford to grab the brass ring.  That's when it occurred to me that poplar might be a good place to start.

Popular is an inexpensive wood that skews toward the softer side.  Its light weight and light color make it an interesting alternative to the more expensive tonewoods.

While it doesn't hold a candle to mahogany, cocobolo or Brazilian rosewood, poplar is still a better choice than plastic.  What's more, because of its lower price, there's less of a need to stick to a single color pattern.  The nearly broke could still display high creativity in coming up with new looks for Grados.

​
These are not completely finished.  They need another three coats and some additional sanding to be anywhere close to complete, but the sound on these - while not as defined as it would be in the mahoganies, cocobolos and Brazilian rosewood - is still a step up from the original plastic.  

I'm not presenting these as the acme of woodwork.  I just think they represent some of the many possibilities waiting to be explored.

Those look fantastic. Can't wait till I get the cash for a pair.

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #1,395 of 5,004

Quote:

Nice Pineapple 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back