SR60-Mod
Jan 11, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #691 of 5,004

Quote:
Here's where my stupid little YouTube video on how to shim the gap between homemade shells and plastic inner/front shells on the lower-priced Grados.  It's seven minutes long and only watchable because of the unexpected complications that arise when my grandson gets into the picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weDK5SNpEk0

Wow, that video really did get messed up. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #692 of 5,004
Nice woody ya got there bill.......
dt880smile.png

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #695 of 5,004

Quote:
Quote:
Ok I bought my 60's used and great condition. All ten holes were punched when I bought them. I terms of bass how much Bass is tamed at only four holes ?

If 10 full holes gets you the max bass, 4 holes would give you like 60-75% of the bass that 10 holes gets you.

I have 6 holes punched.

@ Majestic
I was too eager on my first attempt and immediately punched 8 on my 325is only to realize this brought out some very strong mid-bass that messed up some of my songs pretty bad so I went back in, covered 4 of them and now it sounds just about right. You should start with four, give it some listening time and move up gradually if you think you want more bass. Personally, 4 holes made all the difference for me.

@ Bob
I agree that 4 holes gets you the bass levels of between 60-75% of what 10 holes would. The problem for me was, anything more than 5 and I began to notice the mid-bass moving a lot into the limelight. This may not be a bad thing for some people and it depends a lot on what they listen to and what their listening preferences are. After all, to each his own right? :) As long as they are happy with what they hear, nothing else should matter. This mod is really addictive...sometimes it makes you want to pry the cans open again to address whatever "What-ifs" you may have :)

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #699 of 5,004

Quote:

So if I understand correctly, there is a plastic ring inside the metal cups of the SR-325 and that when you remove it, you will get better sound? Why did Grado put the ring in there in the first place? :p

I'm not sure.  Theories range from evil sabotage (Grado trying to prevent the $300 SR325 from competing with the RS1) to shell alignment to grill reinforcement.  I'm more of a "grill reinforcement" man.  My ring was down by the grill.  The only useful function it could serve there was to keep the grill in place possibly because Grado had no interest in welding it in.  As the SR325 was a new bird, compared to its plastic and wood cousins, this may have seemed like a workable solution.

But the ring sucks.  It really does affect the sound.  Taking it out makes a noticeable difference, one I hadn't anticipated when I found it in mine and removed it as a matter of course.

@ apatN
Like you, I am puzzled as to why Grado would put those nasty plastic rings there in the 325 cups. As I said, those rings were the only thing that were preventing the drivers from "making contact" with the aluminium cups and this definitely limited the 325's real potential. With the rings in place, the benefits from using the aluminium cups are not fully realized. As Bill convinced me, get rid of it and you WILL get better sound.

@ Bill
I'm hopping over to the other side of the fence and admit that I'm pretty much of a consiracy threorist. I am leaning towards the fact that the plastic rings are in fact there to limit the 325s potential. If Grado wanted the 325s at its best, they would have either welded the grills on or at least used aluminium rings instead. Or they could even have designed the cups a little differently so that the grills would hold without the need of any additional rings. Honestly, if I was going to buy a Grado, after listening to a modded 325s, I could never justify paying so much more for one of those RS woodies. And that would not be a good thing for the woodies now would it? And they can't price the 325s much higher than the 225s either so the best thing was to limit what it could really do and let exploiters like you figure it out
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #701 of 5,004
10-4.

I was wondering since you noticed a better result by covering them back up. But in looking at the original design, the felt did act a passive material and it did not completely block air movement like a solid material would. BUT since you have positive results with the blue tack then I think what I will put on will work.

Thanks for the input.

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #702 of 5,004

Quote:
10-4.

I was wondering since you noticed a better result by covering them back up. But in looking at the original design, the felt did act a passive material and it did not completely block air movement like a solid material would. BUT since you have positive results with the blue tack then I think what I will put on will work.

Thanks for the input.

That is true but if you're concerned about air flow/movement (which I personally don't think is worth losing sleep over) then I am sure you would be able to get hold of some material similar to that of the original in a hardware / DIY store. The options you guys have in the States are limitless comparing to where I'm at...

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #703 of 5,004
I used the fuzzy side of self-adhesive velcro. I plan on replacing it with adhesive thin-pile felt from a craft store.

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #704 of 5,004
Yeah I'm not overly concerned. I have some adhesive backed flock and it works fine.

I'm just grateful that you and others post the results they get from the Mod's they do in here. I know we all do not hear the same but with all the info shared I can make good choices on my Phone's

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #705 of 5,004

Quote:
I used the fuzzy side of self-adhesive velcro. I plan on replacing it with adhesive thin-pile felt from a craft store.

Either way you swing it would be alright really.

Quote:
Yeah I'm not overly concerned. I have some adhesive backed flock and it works fine.

I'm just grateful that you and others post the results they get from the Mod's they do in here. I know we all do not hear the same but with all the info shared I can make good choices on my Phone's

Yeah, that works fine to be honest. Bulk of the air will flow through the other vented holes anyway. No sweat on the sharing. As they say, good stuff are meant to be shared...and we owe it all to Bill really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back