SR60-Mod
Apr 18, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #3,121 of 5,004
After about 4 months of use and modding I'm beginning to notice some grattle on my right side, just a slight buzzing occasionally, I'm going to guess this is the vibration of the plate that we have been discussing this last page or so.

Yet another excuse to order some damplifier butyle mat from secondskinaudio to do up my civic with.

Enjoying music: necessary to sanity
Using the need for 10cents of material to justify a $60 purchase for your car audio system: priceless

Also: Bill: I love that new cup design, with the narrower outer dimension and the big fat rs1-ish look to the top, I may have to give that a shot in my "spare time" (the time between the end of spring term and the start of summer term) with some red oak (because I'm still too cheap to try more expensive wood)

I have a proposition for anyone on the site with flats (or maybe even modded comfies, I'm not sure). I have a pair of bowls, and I love the airy sound, but they hurt my ginormous elf ears. So I want to try some modded flats, hoping to keep that sound and set my pained ears at ease, and I am wondering if anyone is open to a trade, or the sale of their foams?

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #3,122 of 5,004
Has anyone ever tried a impedance adapter on their Grados? I know Etymotic makes the 75 ohm adapter to turn the ER-4P into the ER-4S, I have to wonder how well such an adapter would work with Grados, given their low impedance. I've heard of people using them on the PortaPros and the KSC75, but not on Grados. I might make one, maybe 100-200 ohms and try it with my Grados. With the Koss, people claim tighter lows and low-mid. With amplification, the extra resistance shouldn't be problem...any thoughts on this?

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #3,123 of 5,004
I have been wondering the same thing for a while. It is not hard to build at all, so just do it and share your thoughts with us. :)

Okay, I have one thing to throw in. If you add resistance to your cable then your amp will behave differently, or so I suspect. This could well change the sound, but I don't know.

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #3,124 of 5,004
(

cocobolo-usb.jpg

Cocobolo USB stick.

)​

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #3,125 of 5,004
I have been wondering the same thing for a while. It is not hard to build at all, so just do it and share your thoughts with us. :)

Okay, I have one thing to throw in. If you add resistance to your cable then your amp will behave differently, or so I suspect. This could well change the sound, but I don't know.

I would imagine that for one, volume will be reduced, which would result in more play with the volume knob on the amp. More importantly, and what the Koss guys seem to think, is hearing an increase of dynamics and a tightening of the lower end.

What I'll do is snag a jack and plug and set them up on my breadboard, then test different metal-film resistors in between them. I'll post my results when I get around to conducting such a test.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #3,126 of 5,004
Hi friends.
I always wanted to add more bass to my SR 225i cans.
Last night I opened up  those and popped the ten venting holes of each. I was too agressive and should have done only to four of those. Now the sound is too bassy, muddy  with loss of details. Is it what is called "canny" resonance? 
I regret for what I did and I wish I could fix it. What about dumping the back of the drivers and inside of the cups with Dynamat or adhesive felt? What if I found a thin layer of paper similar to those that had been  popped and glued over  the holes? What if I changed the L-cushions to the G-cushions, the sound would be softer, less bassy?  Has anyone ever done it? I´m desperate. Please help me. Thanks.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #3,127 of 5,004
This thread makes me sad. I miss listening to my Grados. Its been more than 5 weeks now. Guess its good I've been super busy lately.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #3,128 of 5,004

OK guys, help me with my wood (pun intented indeed)

I need to decide wood for my future cups.

For that here some info I dug up from the thread and some images. hopefully to make easier to me and probably others to chose.

Quote: somebody posted this back in this thread

I also have a list of available types of wood and picts courtesy of google:

lgBowlCocobolo.jpg

cocobolo.jpg

350%20-%20Cocobolo%20Bowl%2011x11x5%20%20$400.jpg

east_indian_rosewood_tile.jpg

8-6-09%20East%20Indian%20Rosewood%20-2.jpg

e.i.+rosewood+bowl3.jpg

neck-bloodwood.jpg

MTD%20535%20Bloodwood.jpg

AfricanPadauk.jpg

2a8727793bf2c5d9ac5f02e86cc36a7d.image.300x200.jpg

esw9b.jpg

Swietenia_macrophylla_wood.jpg

bowl%20-%20mahogany%20thick%20base.jpg

mahogany.jpg

limba,%20korina%20guitar%20blank%201%20closeup%20web.jpg

the-ghost-prototype1.jpg

161949b2c82e5648d.jpg

bolivian_rosewood_title.jpg

bolivian%20rosewood%202819%20(4).jpg

Bolivian_Rosewood_pen_blanks.jpg

big_leaf_maple_title.jpg

curly_maple_sale.jpg

Maple%20Wood%20Mushroom%20Head%20Furniture%20Button%20(51).JPG

black_walnut_title.jpg

Walnut%20Wood%20Sample.jpg

yinyang1_op_341x289.jpg

solid%20stock%20walnut%20wood%20bowls.jpg

koa%20wood%20picture.jpg

94.jpg

KoaBowl050404_3.jpg

jason-dc127koa2.jpg

feel free to correct me or ad more if you wish.

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #3,130 of 5,004

Has anyone ever tried a impedance adapter on their Grados? I know Etymotic makes the 75 ohm adapter to turn the ER-4P into the ER-4S, I have to wonder how well such an adapter would work with Grados, given their low impedance. I've heard of people using them on the PortaPros and the KSC75, but not on Grados. I might make one, maybe 100-200 ohms and try it with my Grados. With the Koss, people claim tighter lows and low-mid. With amplification, the extra resistance shouldn't be problem...any thoughts on this?

Me three. Been wondering for ages. I have a Darkvoice 336SE which is a pretty powerful amp so I'm really tempted to try one out.

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #3,131 of 5,004

So the pics should tell the whole story....

They look better in real life than the pics (due to the flash) :) Yeah there's some tiny bits of red left but only underneath and inside where it's not visible or noticeable so overall really happy. I did the brushed effect using a kitchen scouring pad and going in a steady circular motion.

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #3,132 of 5,004

Quote:
Hi friends.
I always wanted to add more bass to my SR 225i cans.
Last night I opened up  those and popped the ten venting holes of each. I was too agressive and should have done only to four of those. Now the sound is too bassy, muddy  with loss of details. Is it what is called "canny" resonance? 
I regret for what I did and I wish I could fix it. What about dumping the back of the drivers and inside of the cups with Dynamat or adhesive felt? What if I found a thin layer of paper similar to those that had been  popped and glued over  the holes? What if I changed the L-cushions to the G-cushions, the sound would be softer, less bassy?  Has anyone ever done it? I´m desperate. Please help me. Thanks.

abcray-I think if you now cover each hole with Dynamat you can reverse your errant hole punching.
             I personally haven't done it so somebody chime in to help our friend here...you just cover up the holes...

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #3,133 of 5,004
^ Yeah just cover the holes back up with something semi-permeable like felt or masking tape.

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #3,134 of 5,004

Quote:

good question :) The new portable amp up for review on the front page  (i think its a musical paradise) has a feature to switch to outputting 75ohm. I'm thinking the grado's could potentially benefit from this if using an amp as well.

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #3,135 of 5,004

Quote:
^ Yeah just cover the holes back up with something semi-permeable like felt or masking tape.

x2. However, abcray, I suggest that you cover the back of the magnet and anywhere you can on the back plate where the holes are (not too sure how easy this part is to do, I've seen a few people do it). But, definitely at least get yourself a couple pieces of dynamat for the back of the magnet before you start closing up holes. I'm finding my cans a bit bloaty with only 4 holes and no dynamat. Also, I would think you should use something like a thin felt if you are going to recover all the holes. I seen no problem with using dynamat for covering a few, but I wouldn't expect it to sound too good if you used something solid to cover up all the vents. I think i'm making sense...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back