SR60-Mod part II
Jan 23, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #2,974 of 3,353
sometimes i feel like i'm in the middle of a george orwell novel.
ph34r.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #2,980 of 3,353
I just put my drivers in wood cups, so I don't need the extra bass boost now. The problem is, since the holes are normally covered by some fairly thin felt, simply re-covering them with tape or something like that won't do because that will block ALL the airflow. Need to reduce it but not block it. 

I've covered one hole with sticky tape, totally sealing it, and left the other one totally open. Hopefully that is pretty close to having two semi-covered holes. Any better suggestions?

Thanks

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #2,982 of 3,353

Quote:
Hey guys,

Any tips on how to go about reversing the driver venting holes mod? I vented two, and I want to undo it...

Quote:
I just put my drivers in wood cups, so I don't need the extra bass boost now. The problem is, since the holes are normally covered by some fairly thin felt, simply re-covering them with tape or something like that won't do because that will block ALL the airflow. Need to reduce it but not block it. 

I've covered one hole with sticky tape, totally sealing it, and left the other one totally open. Hopefully that is pretty close to having two semi-covered holes. Any better suggestions?

Thanks

redrum, the easiest way to reverse the hole mod is to replicate the fabric that originally covered the holes. A few of us used muslin that can be obtained at your local fabric store. Someone mentioned the cloth on the bottom of their mattress or box spring as working well, but the basic idea is to cut out a little piece of cloth, or configure a ring that fits around the driver magnet and tack it down with some glue. Easy peasy. Little pieces of pored medical tape might work well too.

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #2,983 of 3,353

Quote:
redrum, the easiest way to reverse the hole mod is to replicate the fabric that originally covered the holes. A few of us used muslin that can be obtained at your local fabric store. Someone mentioned the cloth on the bottom of their mattress or box spring as working well, but the basic idea is to cut out a little piece of cloth, or configure a ring that fits around the driver magnet and tack it down with some glue. Easy peasy. Little pieces of pored medical tape might work well too.

Or lacey underwear! I still think that's hilarious, and I don't know why I find it so.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #2,984 of 3,353
Hey guys,

So I've got upgrado syndrome...again, but this time it isn't about Grados...(eh?). Anyone here got experience with thunderpants? I wanna know how they compare with what I've got (the SR225i with Sapele cups and silver recable by Chris). I'd also like to know how thunderpants compare to the usual upper mid-fi phones that everyone loves for clarity, etc. like the DT-880s or the HD650s. I'm mostly worried about their resolution or lack thereof.

Anyone?

Kojaku

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #2,985 of 3,353
From talking to people who have heard Thunderpants and the T50RP in the stock housing, you're able to get very close to TP sound in the stock housing. Plus, when you're talking ~550 for Thunderpants, you're getting awfully close to a used HE-500 (I've seen several for 550-600). 

With that said, I prefer my T50RP to my K701, Pro900, Edition 8 and woodied SR225i. It's very fast and detailed while being ridiculously smooth. Definitely a nice counterpoint to the Grado, which is definitely more dynamic and exciting. 

What ever happened to your M-80s? I've been keeping my eye out for a pair. How do you like them? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back