SR60-Mod part II
Nov 28, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #2,761 of 3,353
That is. An extremely interesting idea. Open/closed?

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #2,763 of 3,353

Quote:
popcorn.gif
Shweeeet!

Thanks.  Also, since I've been basically using the Magnums exclusively for the past month, I'm running these 225i Grados through their paces.  Within the next few days, I hope to put some impressions out in the Grado woody thread and do a  mini review.  Had it not been for the Magnum drivers, 80% of the content of my reviews on the various woodies would pretty much contain the same material.  However, since having the Magnums in the collection and then revisiting what a decent price point of Grado driver sounds like again in wooden cups has some of my  perceptions bouncing around a bit.  I'll be sure to detail this information in the addition that I apply to that thread.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #2,764 of 3,353
Keat,

I have an idea to "bore out" some of the standard size collar locks this week and get them mailed off to  you.  I think this will keep a nice compact look on the collars without having them get too big so they stand out too much.

I'll send you a PM after I've made the shipment.

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #2,765 of 3,353
Thanks Wayne =D I'm sure they'll be fine!

I had a solid 2 hours of listening pleasure tonight. Listening to Coldplay's new album, followed by Mumford & Sons - Sigh no more. Should really check these 2 albums out, Mumford & Sons in particular.

Halfway through the 2nd album, I realised there was an odd wrinkle in the bass on my left that started bothering me. It came to a point where I was really irritated and started investigating. Turns out there was a wrinkle in the diaphragm. Took a hair dryer and blew it out. Problem solved =D

Nov 28, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #2,766 of 3,353

Quote:

What do you think about my new idea?, this could be the headphones with the bigger scene of the world.
Like a Hi Fi speakers sistem the drivers will be infront.

The most important is enjoy the music.
Francisco Cabillas.

Nothing new about it (well maybe in the dynamic world).
Stax made their original Sigma electrostatic headphones that way many years ago.
(click pic to enlarge)

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #2,769 of 3,353

Quote:
What do you think about my new idea?, this could be the headphones with the bigger scene of the world.
Like a Hi Fi speakers sistem the drivers will be infront.

The most important is enjoy the music.
Francisco Cabillas.

This is the good thing about Francisco.  He's always thinking of other ways to approach headphone design.  The good thing is that he'll build enough prototypes to get it right.  And, when it's finally ready to be released, it will be a killer.

Nov 28, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #2,770 of 3,353
Hey guys, i know this isnt the magnum thread, but i figure you guys know enough about it. Whats the main difference between the magnum drivers? Are they essentially modded magnum drivers, or are they brand new drivers? And are the magnum drivers usually considered better than the stock drivers, if so up to what version of stock grados? Like ps1000 sound or 225i sound? 

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #2,772 of 3,353

Quote:
Hey guys, i know this isnt the magnum thread, but i figure you guys know enough about it. Whats the main difference between the magnum drivers? Are they essentially modded magnum drivers, or are they brand new drivers? And are the magnum drivers usually considered better than the stock drivers, if so up to what version of stock grados? Like ps1000 sound or 225i sound? 

I think I can take on this question to provide answers.

1) The Magnum v.4 driver is built from the ground up by Symphones - or, Symphones has contracted someone to build the drivers.  They are modded, but are brand new.

2) Sound Difference?  I'd say pretty extreme.  I currently have 2 pair of woodies.  1 pair is fitted with v.4 Magnum drivers.  The other pair is fitted with SR-225i Grado drivers.  Neither set has any holes punched on the back of the driver to add more bass.  Let me point out some merits of each:

- Magnum: Very clean sounding driver, instruments appear to have better separation.  Has a very good low end.  The detail in the treble and the high end is less than the Grado SR-225i provides.  I think those that love the Grado sound - especially the SR-225i, should try a set of Magnums before committing on a purchase.  

- Grado SR-225i: Features more of that "Grado" sound.  The upper frequencies shine out with a bit more emphasis.  The low end is there - just not as clear as the Magnum.  The instrument separation is quite good, though not quite as good as that of the Magnum.  However, for the money, it is still a great "price point" in the Grado line up.

Final Summary: To me, the Magnum based wooden headphones just feel like a comfortable old pair of jeans.  They are very comforting to listen to and even with some of the detail laid back a bit, you can listen for extended periods and your ears will still be free of fatigue.  For those who seek the "detail" that the Grado provides, they should not overlook the offering of the SR-225i.  But, keep in mind, this all has a lot to do with music genres, too.  I'm mainly into blues and jazz.  In this regard, both headphones do quite well.  I haven't had the chance to own a pair of Grado HF-2 headphones, but I've heard many people comment on their sound.  Some have said that they made their decision to sell them because they didn't feature the Grado sound like the other Grado models.  That statement kind of has me left with a desire to test a pair of Grado HF-2s vs. my Magnum woodies.  I'd love to see how they compare or contrast each other.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #2,773 of 3,353

Quote:
Nothing new about it (well maybe in the dynamic world).
Stax made their original Sigma electrostatic headphones that way many years ago.
(click pic to enlarge)

Thanks, i´m hapy cos i dont patented my idea!. Somebody heard them?. However it looks TERRIBLE, my good!, i´m still think i can do it much better,
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #2,774 of 3,353

Quote:

Thanks, i´m hapy cos i dont patented my idea!. Somebody heard them?. However it looks TERRIBLE, my good!, i´m still think i can do it much better,
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

You probably could. Those Sigmas look like two tissue boxes attached by a head band. 

The Stax Lambda looks like the Sigma, but has a slimmer front profile. They look better imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back