SR60-Mod part II
Nov 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #2,641 of 3,353

Quote:
Wayne you beast! what are you gonna do with that many cups? make headphones for every member in your family tree?

Keat,

No.  I want several variations to share with the headphone community here.  I want more choices to be able to make several unique ones with various finishes - which is why I've asked for a quote for unfinished cups.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #2,642 of 3,353

Quote:
Beautiful!   Thank you for digging this information up and sharing it.

I see that he has a Gmail account.  Usually Gmail is pretty rigid when it comes to flagging a lot of e-mail as spam.  This might be the reason as to why some people might not have received responses from him.  However, I've just sent him an e-mail and will see if he responds to me.

More to follow...

He replied me earlier today.

He's not making any wood cups at the moment. 

frown.gif

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #2,643 of 3,353

Quote:
He replied me earlier today.

He's not making any wood cups at the moment. 

frown.gif

Yes, sadly, I've received the same response.  Apparently, he's involved in making wooden CD transports and wooden cases / boxes for tube amps.  That might be more lucrative than heapdhone cups.  From my research, it looks like he was the supplier at one time to JMoney by building the wooden cups that they sold.  However, in my response to Calico, I did tell him that I believe we might have enough interest here for about 10 pair of cups.  I'm sure we could easily fill that demand quite easily.  Maybe, he'll reconsider when he realizes that he could do a bit more work by firing the lathe up one more time for some cups.  To sell just one pair of cups is not enough to motivate someone.  To sell 10 pair?  Hopefully, it may get their attention.

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #2,646 of 3,353
Put me down, let me know if you need a deposit Wayne

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #2,647 of 3,353

Quote:

I did get a response back to my 2nd question that I asked of Calico.  That being if he were to get a request for approximately 10 pair of cups, would it be enough of a project to make it worth his time.  He basically indicated that my request has been "noted" - which I'm not sure how to take.  He could or could not be seriously considering the the option.  However, I'd think for 10 pair of cups, it would be worth the effort to set things up and go at it.  Plus, another member shared with me that it is believed that Calico uses a CNC machine to cut the cups - which means he's not manually doing the work of lathing each cup.  Instead the parameters are fed into the computer for the CNC machine, the wood stock is loaded and then the machine is activated to do the heavy lifting.

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #2,649 of 3,353
Oh, I think we'll find some more cup options available.  We'll keep pushing the envelope with Marty, but we also can't burn the guy out.  My mind is energetic and thinks a lot.  I've thought of lathes, etc.  But, there's so no way I'll buy a lathe and work with wood - even though I've been working with tools for 30+ years.  This decision of mine became very clear after reading through one of Marty's recent updates on his blog.  He categorized some of the different woods into price categories and provided some great details on each.  I feel that such an operation is best left in the hands of someone like Marty, Calico or even Jose - who did the work for Cabillas.

We were all brought into this by BilaVideo - he energized this movement and while things didn't go very good in the end and some members here were given the short end of the stick and have never received their product, their headphones or even their money back, my anger towards BilaVideo has lessened over the months as we move away from this very unfortunate event.  

Where else can we take $250 to $300 and invest into some Grados, some wooden cups and have fine pair of headphones that can compete with Grado's offerings at twice the price?  Plus, we can all give ourselves a little pat on the back and proudly say: "Yes, I did it ... all by myself."

Nov 12, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #2,650 of 3,353
So guys, considering this thread, and its almost 200 pages, could yall do me a favor and sum up? 

Im essentially gunna be gifting a pair of SR60is to my GF, and i wanna mod them as well as possible to make them unique, and make them sound better. Im mostly interested in cheap or free mods, not necessarily recabling or adding new cups. But new earpads or headbands are not out of the question. So heres what i need;

If you were to get new Grado SR60is, what are the mods you would do to them?  Thanks, DD. 

Nov 12, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #2,651 of 3,353
First thing I would recommend against doing is removing the white cloth from the front of the drivers. Also there is another sr60 mod thread that is a lot longer than this.

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #2,655 of 3,353

Quote:
So guys, considering this thread, and its almost 200 pages, could yall do me a favor and sum up? 

First off the best mod for an SR60 is just plugging it into a source and letting the music do it's magic. The original thread started out with the idea that one could take the SR60 because of it's price, and start replacing things like the plastic housing and the cable and scale it up. The originator of the thread had this crazy notion that you could scale up the SR60 to something akin to an RS1 or PS1000...not going to happen. You can improve the tone and timbre of your plastic Grado though if your willing to add some wood. I saw your post in the Martin appreciation thread, so you know the wood will also net you a piece of art too.

I dont reccomend replacing the cable. You can if you want. I replaced mine with 4 ft. of silver cable that's now on my Porta Pro. Did more for my Porta Pro than it did my Grado, just sayin. I wouldnt remove the white driver cloth either. I did at some point do this but in hind sight wished I hadnt. IMO it's a mod that yields nothing sonically, as far as I could tell...and just makes it easier for your driver to be damaged.
The hole punch mod IMO is over rated. It will yield more bass but it effects the other frequencies too. I think your probably better off getting some flat pads if you want more bass. It's reversible though so it's one you can experiment with.

A couple of other points. The SR60 is still highly regarded as one of the best bang for your buck headphone purchases available. It really doesnt need to be modded and altered significantly from it's stock configuration. If I were you I'd start with the ear pads and a pair of flats, then maybe something cosmetic like the headband, replacing the grill or both. Replacing the grill actually is a really good mod that both allows you to give your phone a unique look, and yields some good benefits sonically. It's definitely a good place to start stripping away the plastic. The bottom line with the SR60 though is the fun factor. It just makes your music fun, and at the end of the day that's really what putting a headphone on your ears is all about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back