SR60-Mod part II
Oct 17, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #2,476 of 3,353
Cabilla isn't the only source of cups :) You can also get them in the FS if you see them around or if you want something custom made you can get them at Martin Custom Audio.

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #2,477 of 3,353
I just got my iroko cups in from Wayne safe and sound. The grain on these is amazing! Way better looking in person than any pictures I've seen so far. They should go perfectly with the headphone lounge brown manta headband I have coming in, I'm stoked!

Thanks Wayne!

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #2,478 of 3,353

Quote:
I just got my iroko cups in from Wayne safe and sound. The grain on these is amazing! Way better looking in person than any pictures I've seen so far. They should go perfectly with the headphone lounge brown manta headband I have coming in, I'm stoked!
Thanks Wayne!

Dayum, that was fast.  Just placed them in the mail on Saturday morning.  I guess the USPS isn't so busy, so they can rock and roll on their shipping.  I'm glad the cups have exceeded your expectations based on the pictures.

I have a pair of Iroko that I'm working on stripping the finish off so I can customize them a bit.  However, I'm not sure what Cabillas' carpenter uses on these cups.  It's certainly not a lacquer or polyurethane.  I suspect it's more of a CV glue that gets applied and then polished with a buffer.  I've applied two liberal coats of stripper and nothing has moved so far.  

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #2,480 of 3,353
Thanks to Wayne for taking time out of his Saturday evening to meet up with me out of his way. I am just getting back to Canada from a friggin awesome hockey/football weekend in DC and Baltimore and cant wait to get my new cups installed :)

Darren

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #2,483 of 3,353

Quote:
just sent my 325is his way. cant wait to hear from him.

You won't be disappointed! Let us know how it turns out.

Also, Wayne: the drivers are actually Magnum V3 drivers, not the newer V3.5. I don't think there's a tremendous difference between them, but just wanted to clarify. I will be able to compare a full Magnum mod with the woodied Magnum when I get mine back. Only thing is, the full Magnum is using V3.5 drivers, and the woody ones are using V3. Not sure how much of the difference to chalk up to the housing, and how much to chalk up to the driver differences.

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #2,484 of 3,353

Quote:
Martin Customs seem to be undersold here.. I'm gonna do something about it to show my appreciation for his work.

Very true.  Marty is the best when one wants custom cups made.  Cabillas' offering was a standard cup - still, very attractive with only two wood / color choices.  However, by keeping things simple, it also kept the costs down.  Plus, Cabilla's carpenter was a very precise person when it came to turning cups. Every pair of cups was cut with the best precision.  The drivers were able to be held into the cups without the use of any adhesives.  The holes where the gimbals mounted were precise - no modifications necessary and finally, the "lip" that the ear pads would fit onto was sufficient in such a way that the pads would fit perfectly.  If I didn't know better, I'd think that Cabillas' carpenter was cutting cups for Grado directly - they were made that well.

Finally, a small note of sadness.  Another of the cup providers - Tech Hero Mods ... or the individual behind that source, Rahkim, is now off the list of offerings.  I've learned of a member being cheated out of a pair of Grados as well as cash which was provided to perform modifications.  
mad.gif

I've made recommendations in the past regarding THM as I've made a purchase through Rahkim that was a great transaction.  I'm no longer able to make a solid recommendation due to this other news that I've heard.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #2,488 of 3,353

Quote:

That's precisely what this has been Strat, a killer journey. So many awesome people in this thread, so many awesome mods, so much creativity camaraderie, and generosity too. My SR60's never were able bridge the gap between prestige series and reference series. I think my 225's did though.

How does the alu wood combo sound btw?

Kneel.
The alu wood combo sounds awsome. I built the wood shells in order to reduce the overall weight, not for sound reasons. Since the alu chamber goes right down to the grille, the wood is just an outside cover. The sound, to my mind, should be almost 100% alu driven.
I bought the alu chambers with the drivers to test if the drivers and the alu were made to make a perfect team. I am going to test it against a full-wood setup soon. One thing I can say for sure: the alu Magnums do not produce the same sibilance and ringing that my SR80i and MS1i drivers produced in the alu Jaben cups.
What were your impressions of the Magnums when you tested them?

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #2,490 of 3,353

Quote:
livewire and everyone else who have had dealings with Marty. Do post your pictures in the appreciation thread I started, would give the guy some much needed business if there's a gallery around here with his labours of love.

I have never had the privilege of owning any Martin Customs. Yet, from what one can see in the photos he and his customers are posting, he is a true artist. Since I make my own cups, I know what I am talking about. When you look at his work, you see the expertise, love and devotion he puts into it! Chapeau, man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back