SR60-Mod part II
Aug 15, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #1,471 of 3,353

Quote:
We discussed this at the end of the other thread... I had the EXACT same experience, removing it made a NICE improvement.

Yeah, I challenge anyone with woodie 225i's or woodies at all to remove the dynamat entirely and post impressions.. I saw a pretty big improvement. Thanks Kojaku.. I was actually contemplating this earlier, but you pushed me over the edge by making me realize I was dishing out advice that I hadn't really tested. 

This... just made my evening. 

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #1,473 of 3,353
Wow, I guess it's time I remove my dynamat also lol.

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #1,474 of 3,353
I read on another board that BBC had something to say about resonance and damping (page 16/ 29) -> http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1977-03.pdf

I myself used bitumen to reduce resonance by splitting the amplitude, as some of the energy in a softer and heavier material gets transferred to heat and thereby improving the decaying rate, but bear in mind that this is from the viewpoint of alu 325is. With wood it might be that dynamat in some cases means that too much energy dissipates, as in an overdamped studio room you tend to sing much worse than in a church.

The good thing is that one can experiment with dampening and find the right amount that's to our liking.

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #1,476 of 3,353
Yeah, I challenge anyone with woodie 225i's or woodies at all to remove the dynamat entirely and post impressions.. I saw a pretty big improvement. Thanks Kojaku.. I was actually contemplating this earlier, but you pushed me over the edge by making me realize I was dishing out advice that I hadn't really tested. 

This... just made my evening. 

I'm sorry...I didn't mean to ruin your evening...I was just curious about it x(

Kojaku

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #1,478 of 3,353
I had a similar experience when using stickytack, a little dab'll do ya, too much just muddies it up a bit.

In other news, using partially liberated drivers and wood cups as opposed to just wood slipons, I'm noticing pronounced soundstage even where I didn't before. Bands like Blink-182 and Greenday even have a more realistic perceptual "appearence" in position. They still sound like in-your-face grados, but with a little more clarity in the stereo effect.

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #1,479 of 3,353
Alright Ive been lurking and Ive been wondering this....... Is there really a big difference between the MS-1, 60, and 80. Ive been wanting to start a mod project but didnt know which one is the so to speak best.  Also these mods.. are they applicable to all grados? or just 60s? Or is it where some mods can be used on certain grados while some cant? The whole grado game is realllllly confusing me haha

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #1,480 of 3,353
Skip the 60's since you'll end up buying bowls down the road anyway, look at either the 80's or MS-1. MS-1 is a tiny bit less "in your face" than the 80... this part is up to you

Almost all of these mods are applicable to any Grado, but you should fully understand and plan out your approach to any of them. Some are reversible, others not so much...

1. pick either 80 or MS1
2. listen to them for AT LEAST a month
3. make a list of what you like/dont like
4. research mods
5. do ONE mod at a time so that you can appreciate what it gave you
6. repeat step 2-5
7. (optional) go completely insane and lose sleep over Grado mods...

Godspeed my friend.

Edit: we have a hella lot of RIT grads in my office, feel like you guys are taking over!

Quote:
Alright Ive been lurking and Ive been wondering this....... Is there really a big difference between the MS-1, 60, and 80. Ive been wanting to start a mod project but didnt know which one is the so to speak best.  Also these mods.. are they applicable to all grados? or just 60s? Or is it where some mods can be used on certain grados while some cant? The whole grado game is realllllly confusing me haha

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #1,481 of 3,353
Im not a grad of RIT but I will be applying soon although all the snow up in NY is kind of a turnoff haha

So your saying that the MS-1 is more relaxed than the 80? Im not saying this a problem just wondering since I like cans with that are nice and easy that arent too in your  face. Oh and trust me I wont make myself too mad just enough to lose an hour of sleep will do :p

After I snag some D2Ks (wayyyy later down the road) MS1s will be in the picture :D

Thanks for the info :D

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #1,482 of 3,353

Quote:
give em a good listen before and after you do it.. on a real nice recording and let me know what you think. No placebo stuff, make sure you know if there is a difference or not. I'm really curious. 

I'll let you guys know when I receive these:

(Credit to Martin for the pictures)

I don't have any shells right now so I can't test it or anything. Once I receive those shells from Martin later on in the week I'll put it together and try it. I will also post some pictures too.
smile.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #1,483 of 3,353

Quote:

For what it's worth this is the third paragraph from a review on headphonista:

...Right off the bat, the MS-1’s produce the best sound you can achieve in a headphone for under $100.  A pretty bold claim right?  Consider this… The MS-1’s have addressed the shortcomings found in the Grado SR-80’s, which was already a great sounding headphone and managed to improve the overall sound quality. The first thing I would like to address in terms of sound are the specific improvements I have noticed. The first being a more neutral and smoother sound. The Grado SR-80 was guilty of being overly bright, to the point of compromising any sense of neutrality. The MS-1 has managed to balance out this brightness a little more. I can conclude that the MS-1 has a little bit less sibilance and the resulting sound was less fatiguing (after extended hours of listening) than the SR-80. This correction, while subtle is very significant, as the main complaint I had with the SR-80 was the (at times) harsh sibilance and unnatural brightness. 

Entire review here.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #1,485 of 3,353
Congratulations Sys those are absolutely beautiful.

So I covered the holes up tonight when I got home from work with some Muselin. I actually picked some up at the fabric store a couple of weeks ago based on your previous posts Chris. It does work really well and a foot of it was only 60 cents. I tried putting some cloth medical tape on the driver where the driver cloth used to be. I dont think that experiment made it past 30 seconds. It totally killed everything in the one side that I did, so right back off it came.

1 hole vented and using the comfies and they sound really good. I could be very satisfied with this as my only headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back