SR60-Mod part II
Aug 14, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #1,441 of 3,353
All ten holes baaaayyyybeeeeeeeee! and a little Southern Harmony & Musical Companion
biggrin.gif

Rooster crows at the break of dawn
A mother dies without her only son
A doctor laughs in the face of disease
I never once heard a preacher say please

I'm going to have to tweak them a bit, although they are sounding pretty alright with the jumbo's at the moment.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #1,442 of 3,353
Quote:
OK Sharkz you just hit the trifecta by mentioning your SR60's, your T50's, and BCC  all in one paragraph. I just switched headphones and went through the first two songs on that BCC CD. The Great Divide is pumping through the T50's right now and there is plenty of bass in my pair. That's a pretty good record btw. I like Bonamassa's solo stuff much better though. Anyway what are you driving your T50's with...and is your vent open or closed?

Driving them with my Indeed Hybrid. Damped with plastacine clay in both halves, with some felt in the rear half, white driver cloth removed and covered with thicker felt. I took the felt off the bass port and put electrical tape with one slit, but since bass was low, I covered it from the outside with electrical tape. I really couldn't tell the difference with the port slitted or closed completely.

Not sure what else I can do. To be honest I am pretty disappointed with these right now. Opening the driver up increased HF a lot, but the low end is still almost non-existant. At least I still have my Grados....

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #1,443 of 3,353
All ten holes baaaayyyybeeeeeeeee! and a little Southern Harmony & Musical Companion
biggrin.gif

Rooster crows at the break of dawn
A mother dies without her only son
A doctor laughs in the face of disease
I never once heard a preacher say please

I'm going to have to tweak them a bit, although they are sounding pretty alright with the jumbo's at the moment.

Did you do this to your 225's or the 60's? Also did you listen after poking each hole? Was it just increase in bass quality, without loss in clarity or punch, or did the quality of the bass drop?

Kojaku

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #1,444 of 3,353

Quote:
Did you do this to your 225's or the 60's? Also did you listen after poking each hole? Was it just increase in bass quality, without loss in clarity or punch, or did the quality of the bass drop?

Kojaku

I believe it was his pair of 60s.  Big Bill worked some "mods" on various drivers to get Brian up and running with his SR-60s.

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #1,445 of 3,353

Quote:

Kojaku

Quote:
I believe it was his pair of 60s.  Big Bill worked some "mods" on various drivers to get Brian up and running with his SR-60s.

Yes it was the 60's and I didnt really like it. It was fun though
biggrin.gif

The bass was fun but the upper mids or treble got a little to out there for me. The jumboes actually reigned that in and toned down some of the crazy resonance that was going on. I fooled around with some other tweaks. Some felt over the driver where the cloth used to be. Removed that and covered 6 of the holes with some paxmate that I had for my T50's. That brought the bass under control, but it made the highs kind of weird. Back to the drawing board tommorow.

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #1,446 of 3,353

Quote:

Yes it was the 60's and I didnt really like it. It was fun though
biggrin.gif

The bass was fun but the upper mids or treble got a little to out there for me. The jumboes actually reigned that in and toned down some of the crazy resonance that was going on. I fooled around with some other tweaks. Some felt over the driver where the cloth used to be. Removed that and covered 6 of the holes with some paxmate that I had for my T50's. That brought the bass under control, but it made the highs kind of weird. Back to the drawing board tommorow.

I've got some jumbos coming my way.. I'll have tried ever pad except for kojaku's socko's. I still think the bowls are going to win. They just fit my ears so well and sound so nice, but I wanna give jumbos a shot. They might be for sale real soon. (marty got my flats btw) 

try some thin see-through cloth like muslin instead of paxmate.. It will effect the highs less but still tone down the bass quite a bit.. The muslin is close to what the stock cloth that is on the drivers sounds like. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #1,447 of 3,353

Quote:
try some thin see-through cloth like muslin instead of paxmate.. It will effect the highs less but still tone down the bass quite a bit.. The muslin is close to what the stock cloth that is on the drivers sounds like. 

Chris,

I'm with you on that one.  Based on your earlier post, I made it to a fabric store and purchase some muslin - the stuff is like $1.99 for a 36" x 54" piece.  I carefully cut out some circles and used some textile glue and applied it with a Q-tip.  I then set the muslin fabric into place and let it dry.  The sound went back to a "stock" sound - which I was much happier with.  Unfortunately, I think muslin only comes in white and cream colors.  I ended up using a Sharpie to change the color of the fabric to black, so it wouldn't seem so obvious when looking through the mesh and into the cups.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #1,448 of 3,353
Aww man, I'm LOVING the 10 holes mod. :) I find the bass rivetingly exciting! But maybe that's out of a bass lean HDP. However 10 holes out of Blue Dragon I find dissapointing... For Grado, I like Grado headphone with Grado cable. I need to try the 8 conductor on a 60 and see if that makes a diff though. Anyone done that?

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #1,449 of 3,353

Quote:
Chris,

I'm with you on that one.  Based on your earlier post, I made it to a fabric store and purchase some muslin - the stuff is like $1.99 for a 36" x 54" piece.  I carefully cut out some circles and used some textile glue and applied it with a Q-tip.  I then set the muslin fabric into place and let it dry.  The sound went back to a "stock" sound - which I was much happier with.  Unfortunately, I think muslin only comes in white and cream colors.  I ended up using a Sharpie to change the color of the fabric to black, so it wouldn't seem so obvious when looking through the mesh and into the cups.

I could supply you with some various shades of brown colored muslin cloth from grain bags for home brew :p  Have some nice smelling crystal malt soaked cloth available.

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #1,450 of 3,353
I've got some jumbos coming my way.. I'll have tried ever pad except for kojaku's socko's. I still think the bowls are going to win. They just fit my ears so well and sound so nice, but I wanna give jumbos a shot. They might be for sale real soon. (marty got my flats btw) 

I smell a trademark. Kekekeke. Jkjk. I'm starting to really think that recupped 225i's are best left unvented...the sound changes seem a bit too much for me, even in description.

Kojaku

Aug 15, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #1,451 of 3,353

Quote:
Cab, I used a felt polishing disc with my power drill. The aluminum gets quite hot but soon starts to shine. How are you doing, buddy? Lying on your Andalusian beach all the time?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO...i dont like to be lying so much, i was in the beach running with a friend and my dog. I´m working in a new proyect too, i bought a very cheap headphone in a chinesse shop. It sound terrible, but it headband adjust perfectily in grado cups. The headband dont have to be adjusted so much than grado´s, is very light and confortable. I´m building it for walks with sr80i´s drivers.

Greetings from Andalusian to all.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #1,453 of 3,353
I have always loved Olive wood! Now I have made myself some cups out of it. Driving them with a set of Alessandro MS1 I have equipped them with some distancers to turn them into an MS1000. To my ears they sound really good, with a nice bass foundation, excellent mids which make especially female vocals shine and a detailed yet unsibilant upper end. The soundstage is increased nicely with this mod. I can only recommend it.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #1,455 of 3,353

Quote:
Chris,

So.. This might be ironic.. but, I actually went to the fabric store today, and the stuff I used wasn't actually muslin, but black weavers cloth. I grabbed it because it looked real similar to muslin, but it was black. 

So, that is officially what I recommend from now on. Weaver's cloth. I didn't know what else to call it because it was so transparent. I'm gonna finish up my portable grado sr80i project, or get it close today and hopefully rebuild my bloodwood grados if my cups arrive. 

Also picked up some other thin cotton cloth to try to make some intake filters for my computer. 

Quote:
I smell a trademark. Kekekeke. Jkjk. I'm starting to really think that recupped 225i's are best left unvented...the sound changes seem a bit too much for me, even in description.

Kojaku

Yeah, I really think that all grados are better left unvented in all honesty.. Well, I know it is true of the 225i's and the 80i's and the ms pros to my ears. I wouldn't mess with it on any of them except maybe the 225i if i was going to keep it in plastic. Even in plastic, I'm pretty fond of the sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back