SR60-Mod part II
Jul 21, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #661 of 3,353

Quote:
Brian, let us know what you think of that Fostex. I'm seriously considering getting one of those as well, but Amazon is out at the moment. Plus, I'm not sure how much I like the idea of another thread/project consuming a couple more months of my life. It's fun stuff, but it can be draining to stay up late every night reading through comments. 

Will do. The seed for getting a T50 was planted a while ago by Leepery and I've never been able to shake it. I've seen Shwallman talking about his and then Chris mentioned he had a pair. I had some back and forth with BotByte in a thread and via PM about them. I bought mine here, B&H is out right now, Amazon wanted about $30 or so dollars more than they could be purchased for at some other sources. The first place I ordered turned out to be out too and I'm waiting on a refund from them. Anyway the source I got mine at had 3 in stock when I ordered so they may or may not have 2 pairs left 

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #662 of 3,353
See I have a pair of T50s and have for a while. They've really never done it for me. I might need to do some more mods on them, but so far I damped the heck out of the insides with fun tak. Just not the same experience as my Grados, I could never get the bass I wanted. I might need to revisit them soon though.

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #663 of 3,353

Quote:
Big Bill has a need for some of the components (wave guide, etc.) - so, I was placed in the mail today and on it's 250 mile journey to Bill's house for some upcoming surgery this weekend.  While this driver met the end of the road, it's great to see that there was some recycle abilities in the parts.  And, who said that Head-Fi members were not "going green".  
biggrin.gif

I received the driver today and have successfully performed the transplant surgery. It has been packaged up and I'll be mailing it out to Kneel Jung first thing in the morning!

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #664 of 3,353

Quote:
I received the driver today and have successfully performed the transplant surgery. It has been packaged up and I'll be mailing it out to Kneel Jung first thing in the morning!

Wow, that's great to hear.  I guess no anti-biotics are required during the recovery period from the surgery?  
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #665 of 3,353

Quote:

Outstanding...This news kind of reminds me of the time I was driving through Bakersfield early one Sunday morning listening to gospel music...

Thank You Bill
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #667 of 3,353

It's messy but here's to the beginning....and the end for tonight, listening to Black Moth Super Rainbow+paint fumes=bad 
rolleyes.gif

P.S.- The button was a test piece to see how mixing a few colors would go.....it looks exactly like a penny lol

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #668 of 3,353

Quote:
Outstanding...This news kind of reminds me of the time I was driving through Bakersfield early one Sunday morning listening to gospel music...

Thank You Bill
biggrin.gif

Do you have far away eyes?

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #669 of 3,353
I thought the stock t50s were pretty good. Both sets I got from marty are pretty sweet with the wood pants they have on them. The cavalli made all the difference in the world though. Without it I had to crank the volume and they would struggle with anything thrown at them.

Quote:
See I have a pair of T50s and have for a while. They've really never done it for me. I might need to do some more mods on them, but so far I damped the heck out of the insides with fun tak. Just not the same experience as my Grados, I could never get the bass I wanted. I might need to revisit them soon though.

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #670 of 3,353
I don't have anything as sweet as a Cavelli, but I do use an Indeed Hybrid Tube amp, so power isn't that much of an issue. Its just a different sound from the Grados. Not as much bass and doesn't sound as good for rock, which is mostly what I listen to. And as much good as it does for Orchestral music, the bass just kills a lot of the classical recordings I like. I have a good DG copy of Holst's The Planets and on Mars, a track with tons of good bass, it just doesn't have any impact with the Fostexes.

I do really need to hear a pair of LCD-2s however. I am very seriously considering upgrading to them when I get some spare $$$. Not sure where I could hear them locally outside of a meet though.

Quote:
I thought the stock t50s were pretty good. Both sets I got from marty are pretty sweet with the wood pants they have on them. The cavalli made all the difference in the world though. Without it I had to crank the volume and they would struggle with anything thrown at them.

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #671 of 3,353
Did Bila have GS1000 pads on his grado?! I was just browsing the first post and !!

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #673 of 3,353

Quote:
I do really need to hear a pair of LCD-2s however. I am very seriously considering upgrading to them when I get some spare $$$. Not sure where I could hear them locally outside of a meet though.

Now that you mention the LCD-2s... I've tried them locally at a headphone shop. The good thing about being in a small technologically-oriented country (aside from the high prices). I didn't quite find it anything to rave about, it was running apple lossless out from iTunes into a DAC (not sure which, was covered) and a Beyer A1 (I think?) amp, 6.5mm jack. The timbre of the sound was way nice (I thought Grado was right up in your face, this takes it just as far) and very organic sounding, but I found it slightly too boomy for my tastes and not anywhere as clean as I would have expected. The soundstage is just about as great as a mid-range Grado model, I would say. There's very little illusion about space. Sound reproduction is great with the caveats included above, though. I can see why they are so highly respected on the forum, even though what I was talking about previously might hint otherwise.

I've also tried the MSPros, and those are a totally different beast. The illusion of space they gave me was just astounding. And the reproduction of music is nearly as organic as the LCD-2, so it doesn't really lose out very much there. If you do get to try the LCD2s try get your hands on a set of MSPros as well. You may just like what you hear
redface.gif

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #674 of 3,353
When you listen to them, dont put on your grados for a few days.

Im hoping my driver comes in today. I pulled off a trace on a second driver and sent them off to have another user see if he could get them working again. He did and sent them back. So my zebrawood t50s should be back in business tonight. I hate dragging headphones back and forth to work so it should be nice to have a set for the house and work.

My custom tf10s should be shipping back to me next week.

I have a problem with breaking stuff and always having something to repair. It proves to be costly. I need to stop.

Quote:
I think he did at one point but he sold them. They are pretty much a mixed bag. They provvide comfort and more sound stage but at the expense of what makes a Grado a Grado.

Mt T50 came today...more later.

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #675 of 3,353

Quote:

I've also tried the MSPros, and those are a totally different beast. The illusion of space they gave me was just astounding. And the reproduction of music is nearly as organic as the LCD-2, so it doesn't really lose out very much there. If you do get to try the LCD2s try get your hands on a set of MSPros as well. You may just like what you hear
redface.gif

Thanks for the advice. I will try before I buy for sure. I don't want to spend $1k plus and not enjoy the sound. I would like to hear the higher end Grados (MSPro, RS1, HP1/2). If I didn't do the LCD-2 Route, I would definately be the going high end Grado/Mapletreee Ear and spend more money on my vinyl end route.

I was listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn on vinyl (Couldn't Stand the Weather, very appropriate title for this week) through my Leopardwood 60's last night and man did it sound great through my Grados. Plus the vinyl was completely quiet, a benefit of a new album (not all though). I will definitely be investing in a Spin Clean cleaner soon to try to quiet down the rest of my "not so new" vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back